Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing old spacers for Darton 3800 cam lean

Im shooting a LH Darton 3800. Drawing 66 lbs at 31” DL

My bottom cam is leaning left and throwing all arrows through paper nock left. I tried shooting various shafts from Rampage 250 31” &32”, ICS Hunter 300 31” and Aftermath 340s 30”.

Paul at Double G has been helping me out. We hokey pokied with cam timing and string tuning. I eventually called Darton and was told the bow should have 8 spacers on bow...1 skinny and 1 fat on top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right of cams. I was told to take a skinny spacer from the bottom right and move it to bottom left. We disassembled the bow and found just 4 thick spacers on all cam sides. Some spacers were wallowed. The axles seemed good...roll tested them on the concrete bench top. Limbs dont appear cracked or splintered.

I decided we should just have Darton send some new spacers to replace all and we’ll go from there. I called them and hopefully spacers should be enroute.

I was consistent with 1” grouping at 20yds with field points. Broadheads plane right. Bareshafts plane right big time at 15.

Start small I reckon. Any words of guidance is appreciated.

Schwing!

Time to go see Paul.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Yea you can buy shim kits that just have an assortment. That's how you had to tune those older bows. My 101st airborne was the same way. The bow shop couldn't get it tunes so I just did it myself. Pretty simple if you have access to a press.

Comment

Im considering buying a press. Ive never been in an archery shop in Texas that used a press that Darton recommends for their bows...so I think that might be the next tool acquisition...and spine tester.

We swapped the spacers...tweaked axle to axle measure to spec...it was out of spec. Most cam lean went away...just a hint of lean...but still tearing paper nock left. I double checked the length of the yokes and one was 1/8” longer than the other. I had extra yokes and found two to match length 13 7/8”...spec sheet calls for 14”. None that I had were 14” exactly and Im not sure if it makes a difference. Still tearing nock left. Im sending my bow to Darton to tune and evaluate my rest and arrow setups.

I know theyve a few upgrades but the overall platform is the same...and Im gonna hit them up to see if theyll upgrade the bells and whistles whilst its in their shop...if able.

Its hard not to want to give in to the urge to just slap a mech on the front and let it ride. Im stacking shafts and busting nocks as it stands...but not good enough.

Comment

Working...
        X