Arrow weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight

Maybe some of you scientifically minded gurus can answer my question. I've been shooting Chinese arrows for a while (since hogs ran off or broke all of my gold tips and eastons ) and their weights can vary a lot. Sometimes as much as 50 grs. or more ( I weigh all of them). I am pretty old and have some kind of vision problem ( can't pronounce the name) so as some guys say, I cheat. I string walk, but it keeps me accurate enough to be a successful bowhunter. Here are some pics of 30 yard shots and the arrow weights if you can read them. Question is, how far does one have to shoot before a 50 gr. difference in arrow weight will make a significant difference in arrow impact?

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

I don't have an exact answer to the distance; but will say if you are getting groups like that at 30 yards, don't worry too much about it. You have marked your shafts already, so I would shoot a few rounds and note the ones that are 'fliers'. Make a 'team' out the ones that don't group with the others, and use those for shots that don't matter so much.

When making woodies or other natural material, I would sort my arrows this way. I had three types, stiff - tuned - under spined. They were grouped by where they hit the target at a set distance. I practiced with the tuned. I tried to soften the over spined. I shelved the too light, or made kid's arrows of them. Whether weight or spined incorrectly, where they group is the way to sort 'em.

From the picture, you only have one flier. The rest seem to be matched well enough to group. If that is from 30 yards, I would say they are good enough.
    Last edited by TejasNW; 10-05-2019, 11:26 AM. Reason: can't spell this morning

Comment

One thing I will add though Greg is that I use100 gr. heads but if I try 150 gr. heads on these same arrows, they make a BIG difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
        One thing I will add though Greg is that I use100 gr. heads but if I try 150 gr. heads on these same arrows, they make a BIG difference.

And I'm very happy w/ the accuracy but don't savvy why the weight diff. doesn't seem to effect the flight.

Comment

When you switch from 100 gr to 150 gr, are you seeing both a difference in vertical and horizontal impact? One should see both with that big a difference up front. And I am understanding that is the question.

If so, you are right. You should see a vertical drop and a nock left or impact to the right of point of aim if the shaft is softening due to increase weight. (right hander) The photo shows the opposite. Are those with 150gr points?

The photo shows two groups of tune. I don't have much experience with carbons (they look carbon at least.) I am told they are less sensitive to tuning than wood or aluminum. My guess is they are showing some variation in spine and weight, but the material is able to make up the difference. I am really surprised not to see more vertical component, unless you are naturally (unconscienceless) compensating for the drop.

Either way, your shooting well. And I don't think string walking is cheating. Never understood why something that makes one shoot better would not be a welcome thing. I think that is a hold over from field archery competition. If it makes one a better 3d shooter or hunter, let 'em pound sand if they don't like it.

Comment

If you are shooting a trad bow like that at 30yds, don’t change anything!!!!!

The reason a heavier head makes a drastic difference is because that extra weight effects the spine and makes the arrow act way weaker.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've always used 100 gr Bheads but bought a half dozen 135 gr Zwickys a while bk that turned out to be 150 gr. As I remember I had to change my nock point quite a bit but they did good up to around 20 yds but past that they got squirrelly. I never thought abt them changing the spine but bet that's what happened.
              I still can't get it straight in my mind though why an arrow weighing 50 to 80 or more grs more than another doesn't drop considerably more. I'm not looking at the wts when I'm shooting them, I don't think. [emoji5][emoji5] lots of unconscious stuff goes on when shooting stickbow.

Comment

Maybe some of you scientifically minded gurus can answer my question.
                What you are describing is FOC or forward of center. There is a lot of disagreement on how much FOC an arrow should have or even if there is too much. By moving the nock you have compensated for some of the drop, as nock changes the angle of attack as it comes off the shelf. With more FOC (your case) the nock follows the point which is now higher. At longer distances, a heavier arrow will fall before the ligher arrow (all other variables being equal).

However in the shorter part of the trajectory, arrow flight can be similar due to the angle of attack and increased efficiency of a higher FOC. Like I said, there is a lot of disagreement on FOC and what is too much. But I think your answer lies in the fact that in the first 30 yards, your point is coming off higher due to the nock point. In addition FOC makes gives more efficient transfer of energy from the string. Therefore you are not noticing the effects of increase overall mass at hunting distances.

If you were to fire both weights at 100 yards, the differences would be pronounced. That is the best answer I can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
                  What you are describing is FOC or forward of center. There is a lot of disagreement on how much FOC an arrow should have or even if there is too much. By moving the nock you have compensated for some of the drop, as nock changes the angle of attack as it comes off the shelf. With more FOC (your case) the nock follows the point which is now higher. At longer distances, a heavier arrow will fall before the ligher arrow (all other variables being equal).

However in the shorter part of the trajectory, arrow flight can be similar due to the angle of attack and increased efficiency of a higher FOC. Like I said, there is a lot of disagreement on FOC and what is too much. But I think your answer lies in the fact that in the first 30 yards, your point is coming off higher due to the nock point. In addition FOC makes gives more efficient transfer of energy from the string. Therefore you are not noticing the effects of increase overall mass at hunting distances.

If you were to fire both weights at 100 yards, the differences would be pronounced. That is the best answer I can come up with.
                  Sounds good to me. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X