Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys and gals! I’m thinking of maybe picking up some trad equipment this year. Problem is, I’m clueless.. right now I’m looking at a toelke whip @62 28-50. Is this a good place to start? Any opinions on toelke longbows? Price range for the one mentioned above? Thanks in advance GS!!

I would love to have a whip! I think they run 1000-1200 new. Check out his website. There's usually a used one for sale on archery talk or leather wall from 6 to 8 hundred. I heard he's very friendly, give him a call and I bet he can get you set up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Think I would start around 40 to 45 lbs.

Comment

There are some pinned topics at the top of this forum that have some excellent tips and pieces of advice. As mentioned above, starting at 30-45 pounds of draw is a good place. Your draw with a compound doesn’t really compare. Even with a 70lb bow, with a 75% letoff mod, you are only holding 17-18lbs at full draw. With a trad bow, you are holding whatever the poundage is at your draw. Might be what the bow shows at 28” but will be more if your draw is longer. You want to learn good form, and that’s difficult to do if you are shaking when you are trying to hold the bow back.

The Toelke bows are very nice, but you want to enjoy the learning process, and not overbow yourself during that time.

Comment

Thanks for the info! What are some things to look at when purchasing a used trad bow? Which is easier to shoot, Recurve or long bow?

Comment

It really depends on if you prefer a low wrist grip or high wrist grip.

Gary

Comment

Another vote for reading the stickied threads up top first. Regarding used bows, any obvious signs of damage to the fiberglass is the thing to look for. Regarding Toelke's, they are excellent bows, and the one in question is way heavier than you should start on. 35-40 lbs is about right to learn with. I think Toelke longbows are a little more forgiving than his recurve, but that tends to be a personal preference. Best bet for deciding between recurve and longbow would be to go to the nearest TBoT shoot in the spring and ask to try people's bows.

Comment

Oops, I see you are in Georgia, not Texas. Try to find a local trad 3D shoot though.

Comment

I would put the Toelke on hold for now and buy a $100 62" 35 pound bow. No sense in spending a grand for a bow that you probably won't enjoy. Once you learn how to shoot and develop some muscle, the Toelke is a good choice.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals for the responses. Gonna take a look at the sticky threads and get back to y’all!

Comment

My advice. . start with a 100.00 sage or black hunter. Don't go over 40#. 30# would probably be better. Get good well matched arrows and seek some personal help from someone. Probably be some traditional shooters at your local 3d shoots and most are more than willing to help. I was self taught with the help of G. Fred Asbel's book.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir, received a pm about the black hunters will have one shortly.

Comment

Great choice! Did you order the recurve or the long bow?

Comment

Recurve

Comment

Working...
                            X