How would you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you....

My wife has this welding project she wants me to do. I need a form for half a sphere about 4 foot across to use to create a sphere shape. How would you guys create that? Not looking to spend a gazillion on a thing that may not turn out well anyway.

Thanks

Ryan

Need a little more info about what you're wanting the final product to be.

Comment

Lots of railroad spikes welded roughly in T shapes that will ultimately end up as a sphere. Was going to make it in two halves so it isn’t so heavy I can’t move it. Think a globe made of railroad spikes or something.

Comment

I would just cut a sheet of plywood into a 4' semi-circle and then use that to clamp your spikes to and make one semi-circle, then keep intersecting that one with more semi-circles until you have a hemisphere.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...

If you had a box, say 4 1/2' x 4 1/2' x 2 1/2' filled with sand, following Tyler's suggestion if you cut a single 4' semicircle out of plywood and then used it to carve the hemisphere into the sand (by rotating it) you could use that as a negative to cast a form that you would use to weld on top of. Not sure what medium would work best to fill the form...spray foam/gap sealer?...
          Last edited by JonBoy; 05-22-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

buy a tank head, lay em in it and weld 'em up

Comment

Originally posted by philip-tx View Post
              buy a tank head, lay em in it and weld 'em up
              winner!

Comment

I had to go back and RE-read your project description.
                I thought you said a wedding project.

Comment

We had that idea years ago, and even tried to start it, but too bad we had too many competitors in our area, so it didn't work as we were expecting...

Comment

Working...
                  X