Laguna Atascosa wants to let TPWD run the hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa wants to let TPWD run the hunts

Ok Laguna Atascosa is considering turning the refuge hunts over to TPWD to run. This would drastically change the cost, days allowed to hunt and hunt rules. Please send an email to each of the below email links protesting this change. I attached the email I sent at the bottom. Feel free to modify it to your liking.

robert_jess@fws.gov

imer_delagarza@fws.gov

leo_gustafson@fws.gov

boyd_blihovde@fws.gov

RDTuggle@fws.gov

My family and I have been bowhunting the refuge for 19 years. During that time I've seen the hunt days cut from an 8 day hunt to a 5 day hunt and the hunt cost double. Now the refuge is considering letting TPWD take over the hunts? I have also been putting in for TPWD bowhunts for 19 years. I've only been drawn twice. Those TPWD hunts were overly restricted. I had to stay on my little "assigned area" and even though its called a 5 day hunt they start at noon on the 1st day and end at noon the 5th day. The refuge hunt is so much better because of the freedom to move around and actually hunt. Please do not turn the great Laguna Atascosa hunt into another overly restricted and short TPWD draw hunt. The Laguna Atascosa hunt is the only opportunity that my family and I can count on to be able to hunt every year.

I think the hunts were better when TPWD ran things . I started hunting in the the early 80's and never remember any of the restrictions your talking about .
    Where did you hunt that you got drawn that had the rules of staying in your area ?

Comment

The TPWD could do it like they do at Granger Lake. Pay for an AHP then hunt all you want, and have a season drawing for deer.

Comment

I have hunted chap and Daughtrey on tpwd draw hunts. Because they severly limit the number of hunters it takes years to draw. The refuge is saying that they will have to change the hunt rules and process to fall in line with how TPWD runs their draw hunts. With the new draw system TPWD has adopted I question whether I'll ever be drawn again. Both chap and Daughtrey limited you to a area. That worked ok for those WMAs because it's all good for the most part. No way that would work at laguna. It's not all good. Lol. Lots of very unproductive area at the refuge.

Comment

I'm not too keen on how the state runs its hunting programs,when TPWD had the lease on aquilla they ran that place and the deer herd into the ground, not something I say too often but its been much better under federal control.

Comment

I've never been drawn so can't comment on the quality of a state hunt, but if they ran it the days of hunting every year there would be over.

Comment

My experience with getting picked on TPWD hunts is not good. Then sitting thru the redundant orientation is annoying. Plus you lose a full day of hunting because of the noon start and end times. Currently you can do 2 bowhunts a year at Laguna. If TPWD takes over bowhunters will only allowed to put in for 1 hunt. I don't see anything positive about this change.

Comment

This is dumb. This is the only place I could count on being able hunt and was looking forward to taking my kids one day just like my father did with me. The lottery system will limit our ability to do this.
                Last edited by SneakyPhil; 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Don't forget the extra $48 to the state for the public lands hunting permit.
                  Last edited by Thumper; 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

For the last 7 years with the TPWD system I have been drawn 6 times..... the same 7 years I have applied through the current system with LA and have been drawn 0 times. That being said, some units like the Chap are very hard to get drawn to.

Not sure how I feel.......

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
                      My experience with getting picked on TPWD hunts is not good. Then sitting thru the redundant orientation is annoying. Plus you lose a full day of hunting because of the noon start and end times. Currently you can do 2 bowhunts a year at Laguna. If TPWD takes over bowhunters will only allowed to put in for 1 hunt. I don't see anything positive about this change.
                      I agree.

These new changes sure make the Kinsail changes look good. They were nixed because the hunters didn't want a $10 permit fee and computer access to permits.

If the state will allow standby hunters that's a positive.
                      Last edited by Thumper; 03-01-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                        I agree.

These new changes sure make the Kinsail changes look good. They were nixed because the hunters didn't want a $10 permit fee and computer access to permits.

If the state will allow standby hunters that's a positive.
                        LA was still using kinsail? H kicked them to the curb last year after they royaly screwed up the 2014 draw there.

Comment

Urgent!!!!!!

With interest I have taken notice of the proposed changes to the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge Hunting Program.

In the past we have enjoyed the hunting opportunities provided by the US Fish & Wildlife Service, but I really have to question the reason to change a good, successful and affordable Hunting Program as is.

It appears that the changeover of the Hunting program is a “fait accompli”! The opportunity to comment seems to be just an attempt to claim that the public were given the opportunity for input. But here is the problem: TPWD publishes all available public hunting opportunities (which will include the Rio Grande Valley Wildlife Management areas) at the beginning of June by print and now also electronically in the Texas Public Hunts Information booklet. At this time hunters can apply for hunts. (The information given by the News Release that TPWD will accept applications from August to January is misleading at best because this is the application date for the Rio Grande Valley hunts but not the date this information is made available to the public!) TPWD is already in the process of getting this done . Given the closing date for public comments (11 March 2016), a scant 80 days approximately are available to review the comments submitted, make possible changes, get approval and give the go ahead to TPWD . This would not allow enough time to have this proposed action to be included in the 2016 TPWD Public Hunting publication, unless it is a “fait accompli! I do not like it and I have to question the integrity of the process! It is also difficult for me to understand how this change will be addressed pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act (see below) in the short 80 day timeframe as indicated above.

In addition I have a real hard time to deceiver the benefits to hunters by this proposal. A $ 3.00 application fee for each hunt category and for each individual is added and for a 4 day hunt the increase is from $80.00 to $ 130.00, a whopping 62.5 % increase in hunting fees would impact a lot of us Seniors, people on fixed income and certainly Citizens living in the Greater Rio Grande Valley Communities who will be negatively affected to a much greater extent. According to the latest US Census data for the Rio Grande Valley, roughly 90% of the population is Hispanic and about 30% are considered Poverty level. In my past hunts I have met a lot of “locals” at the Lower Rio Grande Valley National Refuge who relish the opportunity to be able to hunt close to their community without having to spend a lot of money. I have not seen anything that the action proposed has taken into consideration the “ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE” provision for the area/population as outlined in the National Environmental Policy Act (see below):

Executive Order 12898 of February 11, 1994 Federal Actions To Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations

1–101. Agency Responsibilities. To the greatest extent practicable and permitted by law, and consistent with the principles set forth in the report on the National Performance Review, each Federal agency shall make achieving environmental justice part of its mission by identifying and addressing, as appropriate, disproportionately high and adverse human health or environmental effects of its programs, policies, and activities on minority populations and low-income populations in the United States and its territories and possessions, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands.

Please review the attachment for a more detailed mandate.

Here is another area of concern:

In the past ALL Citizens of the United States had access through the US Fish & Wildlife Service websites for hunting opportunities in Federal Wildlife Management areas. With this proposal this will be no longer the case. It would only be published by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and severely restrict or make it much more difficult to obtain such information. Consequently this would also apply to all other US States (like Colorado, New Mexico, etc.) and have the same effect for citizens not residing in that State.

Given all the above concerns listed, I request under the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT, a copy of the final agreement between the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I will pay for any cost incurred for providing a copy of the final agreement.

As we strive for social justice, income equality and equal opportunities in all areas of our lives and for all, minorities included, considerations as outlined by Executive Order 12898 should not be ignored but given high priority!

My hope is that my comments will be received as positive, thoughtful and helpful.

PLEASE REPLY TO YOUR SENATOR< REPRESENTATIVE..This is just another Political BS that has no benefit for Texas Bow Hunters!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't forget the extra $48 to the state for the public lands hunting permit.
                            I was wrong, the $48 state public lands permit is not required.

............If the state will allow standby hunters that's a positive.
                            There's no stand by permits per say, if any of the 800 permits don't sell then possibly they will be sold over the counter. Any paid permitted hunters that do not show up, their spot is still reserved in case they show up later during the hunt ?????. With the state hunts, on state lands, if a paid permitted hunter doesn't show up and check in on the first day the slot is filled by a stand-by hunter. With this drawing there's going to be a good number of paid hunters that will not show up, these slots need to be filled by stand-by hunters. jmo

Also, are the bowhunts a shorter number of days? bs

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
                              I can't see anything positive. Looks more like Govt employees just trying to get out of work by pushing it off on the state.

Any hope of hunter input being heard hunter's need to call the regional office in Albuquerque. Don't let them push you back to just talking to Laguna, talk to the person in charger of all hunting for Region 2.

Not yet sure this is the right number but its a start.

Region 2 - Southwest
                              500 Gold Avenue, SW
                              Albuquerque, NM 87102
                              The Ecological Services Program works to restore and protect healthy populations of fish, wildlife, and plants and the environments upon which they depend. Using the best available science, we work with federal, state, Tribal, local, and non-profit stakeholders, as well as private land owners, to avoid, minimize, and mitigate threats to our nation's natural resources.

Phone 505-248-6454

Comment

Working...
                              X