No announcement yet.

FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just built some new arrows, went with the victory VAP elite 350 spine cut to 25.5". Went with the 95gr stainless shok outsert, with a 100 gr head..total arrow weight at 429 grains with 21.8% FOC. I'll be shooting these out of a 60 lb bow..hoping to get 270fps out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
      I just built some new arrows, went with the victory VAP elite 350 spine cut to 25.5". Went with the 95gr stainless shok outsert, with a 100 gr head..total arrow weight at 429 grains with 21.8% FOC. I'll be shooting these out of a 60 lb bow..hoping to get 270fps out of it.

Sounds like a great setup!!
      Keep us updated on how they perform

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Sounds like a great setup!!
        Keep us updated on how they perform
        The victory VAP's did not tune out of my reign 7. I switched to the Victory RIP shafts in 300 spine with the 60 grain stainless outsert. Total arrow weight is 425 grains, with 16.9% F.O.C. They run my field points and broadheads together out to 60 yards, they hit hard!

Comment

The victory VAP's did not tune out of my reign 7. I switched to the Victory RIP shafts in 300 spine with the 60 grain stainless outsert. Total arrow weight is 425 grains, with 16.9% F.O.C. They run my field points and broadheads together out to 60 yards, they hit hard!

That's great to hear.
          Mine don't group like they used too.
          I'm guessing it's all in the operator.

Comment

Morning Fellow FOC Junkies!

I must say I've missed E&T Forum! I see that @Michael just reopened it!!
            I'm extremely excited and pumped!!

Might I ask that you update us on what/if you've changed your arrow build after E&T Was closed?

I'll start.
            I built me 4 Gold Tip Fierce arrows in 250 spine with the Outserts. I wanted to use them for 190 Land Sharks I got form a TBH'er.

I THINK my weight was around 680 grains and 19 or 20% FOC.

I shot it into a broad head target 2 or 3 times.
            WOW! got close to pass thru @ 30 yds!
            Luckily or fortunately I could use my 30 yard pin at 20 with my new arrows. I forget what I used @ 30 yds.

I planned on using this setup on pigs from a stand. I started to calculate the costs of the arrow and stopped testing. I was close to $30/arrow. for and expected 1 shot life expectancy I got shy.

Also the place I was/am still hunting didn't have many pigs. Well that changed this season! I'm not sure if I'll continue with the build or not. What I am using is working so...

Sorry I don't have more better concrete number for you.
            I kinda stopped when E&T was closed.

It's open now so I guess I got to get the Moxie Moxie out dust her off and start flinging some carbon!!!

I hope you'll join me!

BTW I surrendered my life to the Ministry. Its been a struggle since than.
            I could use some prayer for strength, wisdom and guidance.

I'd relish and cherish the opportunity and privilege to lift you up in prayer!

Comment

Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.
                The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
                Did you try Loctite?
                I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
                Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
                let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                  The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
                  Did you try Loctite?
                  I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
                  Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
                  let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....
                  Yea it screws into the back of insert. I have a weird thing about eliminating moving parts or variables, so I’d rather spend more money on BHs and not worry about the inserts. It just feels simpler, and simple is key to me

Comment

I have used both the Gold Tip and Black Eagle rear insert weights and use the Blue Loctite and have never had one rattle loose, ever and I have been doing this rear insert weights for years

Comment

This thread makes me feel like my 420 grain 12% FOC arrows I just built are in adequate!
                      They arent. I shoot a 350gr arrow with 11pct FOC...I lace everything I shoot

Comment

Bump :-)
                        It's been 14 months since last post.

Anybody got anything new to share this year?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBlkCld View Post
                          Sorry but 430 grains is not "heavy", thus its "hard" hitting capabilities are limited. Can it kill most anything in North America? Sure but that doesn't necessarily constitute "hard" hitting. Lets take say a 600-650 gr arrow, now that will be a hard hitting arrow. It may not be moving as fast but it will hit like a ton of bricks. In this instance, you have momentum in your favor. It goes back to the slow sledge hammer vs fast claw hammer comparison. I put it like this, would you rather be hit by a smart car doing 60 or a freight train doing 40? Now there will be some arrows in the 425-475 range that will no doubt hit good a hard but not in relation to something a full 100-200 gr heavier.
                          ^ Yup what he said.
                          I shoot right at 600 total weight with around 22% FOC
                          Carries momentum further at longer distance. Hits like a freight train.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            I have used both the Gold Tip and Black Eagle rear insert weights and use the Blue Loctite and have never had one rattle loose, ever and I have been doing this rear insert weights for years
                            ^This right here.

Comment

I can’t believe we started this post in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X