Cottonseed and Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed and Hogs

Nothing them *******s won't eat/mess up. I'm using single T-post with 2 foot dia wire cage. They are picking the cages up when they get to about 1/2 full and then feasting. Hate to put them in my feeder pens as the bucks will not let the does get any and I hear it is good for the does/fawns. What setup are you using to keep the hogs from eating all your money?

Realistically hog panels......The does will get their share. Fawns may not be able to jump in though. Had this trouble in South Texas. The hogs would eat it and then regurgitate it back on the ground. Very weird.

Comment

You will have to have a pen to keep the hogs out. Hog panels work very well.

Cottonseed will benefit bucks, does, and fawns once they learn to jump in and eat too

Comment

By fawns I meant keep the does healthy and the milk flowing but yes, you are right, they regurgitate it worthless **** animals.

Comment

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a hog on our place eat cottonseed. I finally put pens up but it was to keep cows off of it.

Comment

I've had several people tell me that, wish it were the case on our place.

Comment

They won’t eat it on our place but if it’s not in a pen they will scatter it all over the place.

Comment

Been feeding CS fior 10 years in Webb city, I have watched hogs break into a feed pen and eat all the corn, but ciRcled and sniffed the CS and run out. Did not eat it.

Comment

Does will eat it when the bucks leave.
                  Put it in a pen. Problem solved

Comment

just recently ran it to this problem. been feeding cottonseed for 2-3 years and never had trouble with hogs eating it until a couple months ago. just put up some hog panel assuming the fawns could jump it.

Comment

I've been using ASF hay feeder and haven't had any issues with hogs.

Comment

a larger pen would allow the does and bucks to eat together

Comment

Put at least 2 rings in the pen. Spread the deer out more and they will all get their fair share.

Comment

We recently changed our feeder pens up to be more Cow proof, but it's going to let some hogs in. I've watched the hogs mess with the cotton seed a bit, but it doesn't seem like they're eating much. I think they're actually picking corn that gets slung into the cottonseed from the feeder.

Comment

Hogs got into one of our pens and destroyed two baskets of CS. They definitely ate it as it was all gone in 3 days. Not sure if they puked it up later. We have two large farms fields that get planted in cotton each year. Farmer mentioned that TAM developed a seed with more oil content to cater to the Asian oil market and about five years ago he started having issues with the hogs eating his planted seed that he'd never experienced in 30+ yrs of farming. He attributed it to the new seed.

Comment

Working...
                              X