Ford F150 tailgate fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford F150 tailgate fail

So around a year ago I am driving down IH 35 heading to my deer lease. In the bed of my 2019 F150 was a large cooler full of food. Somewhere along the way and unknown to me was that my tailgate came open on its own. My cooler fell out of the truck.

I did not realize the tailgate was open until later.

Yesterday I get from Ford a notice of a recall. Apparently these tailgates are coming open on their own in a large number of these trucks. Talk about dangerous.

Just got a recall letter too on our explorer, says there is a chance of some bolts breaking in the rear end and the fix is a computer flash to set the parking brake so it wont roll if they break. Seems like Ford may need to get their act together.

Comment

It all started with those **** man-steps

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
        So around a year ago I am driving down IH 35 heading to my deer lease. In the bed of my 2019 F150 was a large cooler full of food. Somewhere along the way and unknown to me was that my tailgate came open on its own. My cooler fell out of the truck.

Yesterday I get from Ford a notice of a recall. Apparently these tailgates are coming open on their own in a large number of these trucks. Talk about dangerous.
        Did you also see that the parts aren't available to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

A lot of them that has the auto open ability have a big issue randomly coming open .

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            Did you also see that the parts aren't available to fix it?
            Yes I did - said they will "let me know" when they can do the repair - crazy

Comment

What years are affected? I've got a '20 with auto open tailgate.

EDIT: Seems to affect 2017-2019. FYI...

Comment

Here is the letter
                Attached Files

Comment

Is there actually a vehicle made today that won’t have a recall? We have owned 3 new vehicles since 2013 with recalls or defective parts on all 3. 2013 Ram 1500, 2020 Ford Explorer, and 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Texas Edition.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    What years are affected? I've got a '20 with auto open tailgate.

EDIT: Seems to affect 2017-2019. FYI...

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...h-america.html
                    I have a 2020 and got the letter just FYI. Never had an issue with the tailgate thankfully.

Comment

Looks like we have ten years to get it fixed or wait till the parts come in.

Comment

Working...
                      X