Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are state highway medians public land and able to be legally hunted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Being illegal didn’t stop 278! Just saying.
    Or border crossings.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Nothing is illegal until you get caught. I wouldn’t bother asking the game warden cause they are going to tell you it’s not legal.
      That’s what I was thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
        What about where the highway goes over a low spot that is wooded or brush, creek or like wise? Sit up under the bridge or overpass???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Those are good too
        One of the best spots to ambush pigs in this neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
          But doesn't that make it "Public" land?

Yes, a highway is public land.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
            Know of a state highway that has a median that’s 50-100 yards wide for about 4 miles. Heavily brushed and wooded with many large oaks. Have seen a stud of an axis come in and out of there for a while now. Very tempted to crawl up in an oak and try to get him if it would be considered state land that would be legally huntable. I know I should call the GW to ask, but curious as to what the GS has to say first…..

Go!

From the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code:

Sec. 62.0031. HUNTING FROM PUBLIC ROAD OR RIGHT-OF-WAY PROHIBITED. (a) Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not hunt a wild animal or bird when the person is on a public road or right-of-way.

Sections (b) and (c) applies to the trapping or capture of raptors and reptiles.

Comment

Only ticket I've ever received from a GW was for shooting dove over what he said was a public road. This was a single lane dirt road with grass growing between the tire ruts.

Comment

UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES
                It is UNLAWFUL to:
                • knowingly discharge a firearm causing a projectile to cross
                a property line, unless the person owns both sides of the
                property line or has obtained written permission from the
                owner of any land crossed by the projectile.
                • discharge a firearm on or across a public road or hunt from
                public roads
                Last edited by hpdrifter; 06-24-2022, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I’ve seen some of yalls shooting and that’s just asking for trouble! [emoji2371][emoji1787]

Comment

Just remember there are other hunters in there like me so know your target.

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                    Know of a state highway that has a median that’s 50-100 yards wide for about 4 miles. Heavily brushed and wooded with many large oaks. Have seen a stud of an axis come in and out of there for a while now. Very tempted to crawl up in an oak and try to get him if it would be considered state land that would be legally huntable. I know I should call the GW to ask, but curious as to what the GS has to say first…..

Go!

Comment

OP, I hope you just hoping for some great responses!

Comment

Hundreds of LEO can’t even stop an untrained school shooter much less a professional hunter.
                        I’ve been hunting highway medians for over forty years. Most of the good ones are outside of Texas.

Comment

I’ve found that your local city park is much more productive. Give it a try

Comment

There is always a “Karen” at city parks. If you can find a quickie mart or Loves that butts up to public land to park at even better.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                              UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES
                              It is UNLAWFUL to:
                              • knowingly discharge a firearm causing a projectile to cross
                              a property line, unless the person owns both sides of the
                              property line or has obtained written permission from the
                              owner of any land crossed by the projectile.
                              • discharge a firearm on or across a public road or hunt from
                              public roads
                              He’s going to be slinging arrows.

Comment

If you are just going to stay in Texas and you are serious about this, get a white work truck and apply Texas Agrilife decals on it. Keep some road cones around too.

I went the small white truck route with removable magnetic signs, AgriLife, AT&T, DOT, and others.

Comment

Working...
                                X