Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas, South Africa, Waiting for IOWA!!
Default Is the 6.5 PRC much better than 6.5 CM?

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but I’m just not a big gun guy. With that said I’m wanting to get a good all around hunting caliber. I want enough knock down without overkill? Mostly WT of coarse, but if someone said hey let’s go shoot a muley at 400 yards I don’t want to be afraid to. I’m looking at the Bergara Ridge and it comes in several popular rounds the 6.5 PRC has caught my eye.
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #2
sideways
Ten Point

You canít go wrong with either one. Prc has more powder and slightly better velocity. Creedmoor prob has better ammo choices at your local academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 PM   #3
sideways
Ten Point

Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
1longshot
Four Point

Id take that 400 yd shot on a mule deer or an elk with a prc but I'd do it with the heaviest bullet I could get, such as the 156 Berger that copper creek loads in their ammo.
1longshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
kingranch1886
Four Point

Depends, do you hand load? Are you looking at a short action setup? What are you wanting to accomplish/hunt with it?
kingranch1886 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longshot View Post
Id take that 400 yd shot on a mule deer or an elk with a prc but I'd do it with the heaviest bullet I could get, such as the 156 Berger that copper creek loads in their ammo.
That is nothing a well built 140gr won't handle with monotonous regularity.

The hair splitting and fake specialization BS from all the Johnny come lately sniper rifle gurus that goes on every day has gotten ridiculous. Everyone has to have a specific rifle, load, and optic for every critter they go after, anymore. I can't count how many times in the last couple years I've read something to the effect of "well I finally booked my _____ hunt, I need a 6.8lb rifle that will shoot ___ projectile at ____ fps, and a scope at least ___ power, with tricked out ____".

The truth is you will probably never benefit from whatever difference there is between the creedmor, and the PRC, because there almost isn't any. People like to pretend it's like going from a .243 to a .270....it's not. They are both basic *** calibers, and as has been said many times here before, neither will do anything the .260 or .264Mag weren't already (more) capable of.

What I'm saying is, find a rifle you like, in a caliber you think is capable, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

The hair splitting and fake specialization BS from all the Johnny come lately sniper rifle gurus that goes on every day has gotten ridiculous. Everyone has to have a specific rifle, load, and optic for every critter they go after, anymore. I can't count how many times in the last couple years I've read something to the effect of "well I finally booked my _____ hunt, I need a 6.8lb rifle that will shoot ___ projectile at ____ fps, and a scope at least ___ power, with tricked out ____".

The truth is you will probably never benefit from whatever difference there is between the creedmor, and the PRC, because there almost isn't any. People like to pretend it's like going from a .243 to a .270....it's not. They are both basic *** calibers, and as has been said many times here before, neither will do anything the .260 or .264Mag weren't already (more) capable of.

What I'm saying is, find a rifle you like, in a caliber you think is capable, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.
Amen!
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Troutamer
Four Point

yes
Troutamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
sideways
Ten Point

Quote:

This is so true... but whereís the fun in that!!!
I need more guns!!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
This is so true... but whereís the fun in that!!!
I need more guns!!

Buy all the guns you want, I want you to buy more guns! But save the excuses for your wife!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
sideways
Ten Point

Save them for your wife. I donít need an excuse to buy a gun.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
kingranch1886
Four Point

I will agree and disagree with you Dale. That’s why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You can’t do that with a Creedmoor, but if you’re shooting factory loads then you’re correct, there really isn’t that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someone’s thread to get on a soapbox isn’t appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch1886 View Post
Depends, do you hand load? Are you looking at a short action setup? What are you wanting to accomplish/hunt with it?
I do not handload. I am wanting a good rifle for mostly deer hunting, but can be used for just about anything else I decide to go after. I want a good balance of knock down power without blowing a shoulder off a deer or myself! I am not a target shooter, I want to be able to shoot a deer at 50 yards but also have the confidence in the round to do so at 400 yards.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
Justin Spies
Ten Point

Quote:

This is what I am trying to do. I have killed many deer with a .270, but my old .270 is just that is getting old and rough and I am wanting to replace it with a single gun. I am not a gun freak. Other than family guns I do not own a gun that doesn't serve a purpose for me. I don't buy guns to set in the safe for years without use.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
I do not handload. I am wanting a good rifle for mostly deer hunting, but can be used for just about anything else I decide to go after. I want a good balance of knock down power without blowing a shoulder off a deer or myself! I am not a target shooter, I want to be able to shoot a deer at 50 yards but also have the confidence in the round to do so at 400 yards.
Justin, get a 270 Winchester and be done. Neither one of those 6.5 cartridges(especially a 6.5CM) have an advantage over a 270 in typical hunting situations under 700 yards. Ammo price and selection is much better for a 270.

That old argument about a short action being better for hunting is a fable as well. It wont make hill of beans difference when it comes time to cycle the bolt for a follow up shot, the adrenaline rush will keep it out your mind.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #16
popeandyoung151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilbarger county, Lake Whitney, MT, CO

I bought a 6.5 PRC a few months ago for the same reason you are thinking of it. One gun to do it all. It will be a North TX whitetail/hog gun but will also go out west for antelope/mule deer/elk. I think either of these will be good for WT or MD. I went with the PRC for the extra performance down range for elk. I don’t handload either. Good luck with whichever you choose.
popeandyoung151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #17
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I have a 6.5 PRC and love it, but like RADAR says it doesn't have much if anything over a 270. I have one of those too. But,since you don't handload I'd stick with a caliber that has ammunition readily available in multiple outlets. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a mule deer or elk at 400 yards with any of the following calibers with a 140 grain pill.

6.5 Swede
6.5 CM
.270 Win
7/08
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I will agree and disagree with you Dale. Thatís why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You canít do that with a Creedmoor, but if youíre shooting factory loads then youíre correct, there really isnít that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someoneís thread to get on a soapbox isnít appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.

Calm down, no one is belittling anyone.

He asked about shooting a deer at 400 yards...for which there is almost no difference in the 2. The man admitted heís not a serious gun guy, but he felt the need to look into the difference between 2 rounds that are both perfectly capable of handling his desired task...probably in part to all the jabbering that goes on over 300fps, or what caliber someone has fallen in love with. When the fact of the matter is that anything from a 22-250 on up will work just fine. So find one you like, and party on, without worrying about all the aforementioned hair splitting and hand wringing that some of the modern gun nerds insist is gonna make some difference while shooting a deer at 400yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #19
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
I will agree and disagree with you Dale. That’s why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You can’t do that with a Creedmoor, but if you’re shooting factory loads then you’re correct, there really isn’t that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someone’s thread to get on a soapbox isn’t appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.
OP said 400 yards and he does not reload. If you had a choice between a 6.5 CM and a 270 what would you pick?

I dont think Dale was on a soapbox. He spoke the truth.

Last edited by Radar; 02-14-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #20
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is what I am trying to do. I have killed many deer with a .270, but my old .270 is just that is getting old and rough and I am wanting to replace it with a single gun. I am not a gun freak. Other than family guns I do not own a gun that doesn't serve a purpose for me. I don't buy guns to set in the safe for years without use.

Hard to beat the good ol .270! If you want to change it up maybe go 25-06, 7mag, .280....or try the tame old .257 Roberts! Find a rifle you like, and get to it! Cause at the end of the day, it really doesnít matter that much!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Nevermind not worth it. You made a good point about not jacking someones thread lol
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #22
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Buy a new 270
Old 02-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #23
JeffK
Ten Point

Mule deer can be tough as hell to kill. Either caliber will do the trick but if buying a new gun purposely for mule deer, I would go with the bigger caliber. Now saying that, I have used a 270 and killed them out to past 400 yards.

The Bergara ridge in PRC has a 2" longer barrel and holds 2 less shells.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #24
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Hard to beat the good ol .270! If you want to change it up maybe go 25-06, 7mag, .280....or try the tame old .257 Roberts! Find a rifle you like, and get to it! Cause at the end of the day, it really doesnít matter that much!

Or all of them
TxMedic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #25
kingranch1886
Four Point

Quote:
Of those two calibers Iíd go with the Creedmoor, better factory round selection and if your never going to go past 400 yards you wonít be able to tell the difference.

By the way it bugs the crap out of me when someone specifically ask about a specific set of calibers and everyone starts hollering about all the other better calibers, in their mind anyway. Answer the mans actual question.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #26
Wolf_Creek
Four Point

Hunt In: Fannin, Panhandle

Quote:
I like to swing the advantage in my favor as much as possible and i like guns . Go with a 7mm/.284 caliber. Just seems to be a happy medium between accuracy and bullet selection. The 6.5 calibers are awesome and my go to is a 6.5-284 norma right now. The 6.5 PRC is right there with the 6.5-284 but if you don't reload then go with the PRC. Currently building a .284 win just to have a little more weight flying in the air. It is all just a hobby. No different than making knives or working on a classic car. Have fun with it. I love the conversations about it. You can see what works for some and doesn't for others. There is always someone to say your wrong in your selection. I am sure someone will bash what i just wrote. Lol. It is pretty awesome to get to hunt with a gun that you had a say in its build. My $.02 for what it is worth.
Wolf_Creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #27
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Mule deer can be tough as hell to kill. Either caliber will do the trick but if buying a new gun purposely for mule deer, I would go with the bigger caliber. Now saying that, I have used a 270 and killed them out to past 400 yards.

The Bergara ridge in PRC has a 2" longer barrel and holds 2 less shells.
Sorry, but any animal that can be killed with a bow is not tough to kill.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #28
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Ill say this of the PRC and Creed. Energy wise at 400 the PRC wont do anything the Creed wont do. The PRC will be more forgiving in windage and elevation though. Basically itll have less wind drift and drop, which will help out an inexperienced shooter.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #29
kingranch1886
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Ill say this of the PRC and Creed. Energy wise at 400 the PRC wont do anything the Creed wont do. The PRC will be more forgiving in windage and elevation though. Basically itll have less wind drift and drop, which will help out an inexperienced shooter.
^^^ exactly, only trade off is slightly more recoil and less rounds in the mag box.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #30
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Sorry, have you hunted west texas mule deer? Yes, if you shoot them in the vitals they will die, but sometimes they don't give up easy. The last thing you want to happen after shooting a mule deer 400 yards is to watch it go over the ridge and have to track it.

What haven't people killed with a bow? That argument would indicate a 223 can do the job on any animal out there.

Last edited by JeffK; 02-14-2020 at 10:13 AM.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
I have killed many deer with a .270.

I like your choice.. Roll with what brung ya
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
Justin Spies
Ten Point

I would probably get a .308 before I bought another .270
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #33
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth View Post
Now this is a statement, obviously an uninformed one but a statement
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #34
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is a good one too, 7mm-08 is a real nice cartridge as well. Either of these would have a very good selection of ammo at good prices.

I got a 7mm-08, that I could trade you for a new Mule
Old 02-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #35
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
308 would be fine for criteria you listed above. Especially since you donít reload. Iíve got a Ridge in 308 and itís a great gun. Get a gun you like and that shoots well. The rest will take care of itself. Good luck amigo!
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #36
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2tx View Post
Now this is a statement, obviously an uninformed one but a statement
That was a very nice response.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #37
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Go with PRC it’s a little more thump if you step up to bigger game. There isn’t a North American animal I would feel under gunned going after with my 6.5saum
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #38
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Go with PRC itís a little more thump if you step up to bigger game. There isnít a North American animal I would feel under gunned going after with my 6.5saum
X2
Old 02-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #39
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly

A PRC is a 6.5CM loaded with RL26 and a mild tail wind. They are effectively identical for all practical purposes.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #40
Pintail45
Eight Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Quote:
Confidence comes with practice and lots of range time to confirm your and your equipment's abilities. I'd get something you enjoy practicing with, that being a rifle that fits you properly and a round that doesn't cause too much drama and make you flinch. Everybody's recoil tolerance is different, so only you can make that call.

I can tell you as a target shooter I would much rather shoot a 6.5 creed at the range but at the same time I'd rather have a 270 or 6.5prc for west texas mullies.

A 400 yard shot on paper at the range is fairly easy but it's a different ballgame in the field under less than ideal conditions.
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #41
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I love this crap

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #42
GoneSouth
Eight Point

Guess some guys need more gun to make up for lack skill
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #43
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Ammo price and selection is much better for a 270.
I don't know if this is true anymore. Midway carries more ammo choices for 6.5CM than .270 Win. There doesn't seem to be much difference at the local Academy either.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #44
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I love this crap

Lol, all you gotta do is mention some old caliber and they heads explode. Works every time
Old 02-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #45
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Jacking someone's thread? Are you boys feelin dramatic for Valentines Day?
Old 02-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #46
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Lol, all you gotta do is mention some old caliber and they heads explode. Works every time
Pew pew

Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #47
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Jacking someone's thread? Are you boys feelin dramatic for Valentines Day?
Practicing up for expressing their "feelings" tonight. LOL!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #48
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

Quote:
308 is probably the best caliber ever created
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #49
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Practicing up for expressing their "feelings" tonight. LOL!
Old 02-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #50
PVDT
Eight Point

Quote:
I will agree and disagree with you Dale. Thatís why I asked the questions that I did. If you can run the PRC in a long action and hand load then there is absolutely a difference between them. I shot a PRC that I built the load for all the way out to 1877 yards with 140gr Bergers consistently not just a random impact. You canít do that with a Creedmoor, but if youíre shooting factory loads then youíre correct, there really isnít that much difference. Sometimes intentions matter and jacking someoneís thread to get on a soapbox isnít appropriate either. Reactions like this make people not want to ask questions on forums and make them feel unwelcome, which is absolutely untrue. These forums are supposed to be inviting for questions not make people feel belittled for asking a question.
Precisely...in several different ways. The short answer is the PRC is absolutely the superior caliber. The CM is an awesome caliber but just isnít quite the PRC and especially with handloads. It has nothing to do with the ďpick a caliber you likeĒ yada yada as one of the earlier posts mentioned...the OP was looking for insight on CM vs. PRC and not a philosophical counseling session.
PVDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top