Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
Rwc
Pope & Young

Default Waterfowl Hunters (Migratory Game Birds)

For all you waterfowl hunters, back in early December a real good friend encouraged me to listen to a podcast done by End of the Line productions and labeled “The Warden”. I will admit, I had never listened to a podcast and had to get a little help from Breck to initially get going.

Once the app was downloaded and a quick crash course on searching the app was given to me by Breck, I was on my way to listening to episode 1, then episode 2, 3, 4 before the wife tapped me on the shoulder and informed what time it was……ha ha

If you are a migratory game bird hunter, or like me and once was a diehard duck hunter (pre-duck commander / outdoor channel), I highly recommend that you listen to the above mentioned podcast episodes. I will warn you that the End of the Line introduction segment for each episode gets old quickly, but the actual segments are extremely interesting and very educational.

Once you have listened to it, please log back onto this thread and comment. Or if you have already listened to it, did it make you revise your ways of post hunt care of your birds??????

Anyway, a little time to kill this morning and thought I would start a new discussion thread…..

DISCLAIMER: I did use the search engine in an attempt to not repeat an early thread but did not find one. If I missed for some reason I apologize up front.

Have a good one.

Rwc
Rwc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
hog_down
Ten Point

Where can this be downloaded?
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Tagged
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
fordsuper08
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo , East Texas

man i have listened to that one and another one talking about jeff foils as well lots of great information in both of these series i enjoy most of these pod cast all you do for apple is go to pod cast and search duck south or end of the line and start downloading
fordsuper08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
hoytassassin
Eight Point

Hunt In: everywhere

Personally Rob Croom and Rocky Leflore annoy the hell out of me. I do enjoy listening to Ramsey Russell and all his stories.
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsuper08 View Post
man i have listened to that one and another one talking about jeff foils as well lots of great information in both of these series i enjoy most of these pod cast all you do for apple is go to pod cast and search duck south or end of the line and start downloading
Yes sir, Jeff Foils was one of the early ones that USFW made an example of.

Rwc
Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytassassin View Post
Personally Rob Croom and Rocky Leflore annoy the hell out of me. I do enjoy listening to Ramsey Russell and all his stories.
I believe many would agree with you.

Rwc
Old 01-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
Leon County Slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Couldn’t find parts 1 & 2 of the series but looking forward to listening.
Leon County Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
Cullbuck
Four Point

Hunt In: setx

ive listened to them. i dont hunt them near like i used to but when i have i havent changed anything but i have been noticing some of the guides we use started using the toe tags to tag everyones birds.
Cullbuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
https://www.podbean.com/site/Episode.../PBAF9EA8HW623

I believe this is the down load for Part 1.

Rwc
Old 01-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like I need to tune in to this one. The only waterfowl podcast I listen to is called the HP Waterfowl Podcast from the iTunes podcast app.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
Rwc
Pope & Young

TTT

Rwc
Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
MarkV
Pope & Young

I listened to all of these a couple weeks ago. Ryan Warden did something to make someone really mad. That many hunts that those guys went on and the stuff they did wrong and basically ruined his life and all he got was for tagging. Its a crazy story.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I listened to all of these a couple weeks ago. Ryan Warden did something to make someone really mad. That many hunts that those guys went on and the stuff they did wrong and basically ruined his life and all he got was for tagging. Its a crazy story.
My opinion after listening to all episodes, was his friendship/association with Jeff Foils did not do him any good, then add on too his early success which was displayed on social media made him a prime suspect.

I also found it very interesting in the difference of interpretation regarding migratory game bird laws between state wardens and federal wardens.

Rwc
Old 01-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

At late lunch listening to it now.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #16
Rwc
Pope & Young

Anyone take time to listen to the above mention podcast?

Rwc
Old 02-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #17
whackem and stackem
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, Mid-west, all over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Anyone take time to listen to the above mention podcast?

Rwc
I listened to it all. Have to say it was very interesting. The fact that the Feds can ruin your life if they have it in for you is crazy. Sad to see him lose everything if it went down like he claims it did. I like the fact that he is very vocal and has pushed for some good changes to the publication of the regulations if they are prosecuting for tagging. Tough lesson learned for him
whackem and stackem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #18
hopedale
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackem and stackem View Post
I listened to it all. Have to say it was very interesting. The fact that the Feds can ruin your life if they have it in for you is crazy. Sad to see him lose everything if it went down like he claims it did. I like the fact that he is very vocal and has pushed for some good changes to the publication of the regulations if they are prosecuting for tagging. Tough lesson learned for him
I've not finished the series, but really angry about what I've heard so far. Curious about what the FEDs story would be, but can't help but think it would be a story of how to justify their existance.

It really seems petty on what they finally got the guy on. And if he was a real bad guy, shooting over limits, baiting, etc, it would not have taken so dam long to get him. I mean, 3 years and then you jump in. I don't think our tax dollars are being spent justly.

Hope to finish the series, but have gotten busy. Again, I think the guy got a raw deal and its because of his ties to Jeff that led to this. Plus the FAT Cheese in his area that he butted heads agains.

End of the day, its just sound like a sad deal
Old 02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #19
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackem and stackem View Post
Extremely tough lesson and very sad outcome for what I believe was an old boy trying to do what he had been taught and witnessed as the right thing.

Rwc
Old 02-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #20
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
Same here. First episode I can find through podcast addicts is Episode 3.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #21
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
Same here. First episode I can find through podcast addicts is Episode 3.
See if the link in post 10 helps.

Rwc
Old 02-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #22
chase15
Eight Point

Listened to both the Foiles and Warden series. Very interesting how it all came to a head but i think a lot had to do with these guys personality and rubbing folks the wrong way. Alot of attention they were drawing was negative and guys set out to get them and make a point. "Party Hunting" seemed to be what the initial investigation was for both, guides shooting hunters birds. The only time we have had a guide with a gun was during conservation snow goose when all bets are off no limits, e-callers, etc. Rocky gets on my nerve as an interviewer, the guys would finally get in a groove and start telling a story and then he would cut them off to ask a dumb question. I cant stand Rob Croom either, or whatever character he thinks he has spun himself into.
chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #23
No-Tox
Eight Point

Never did listen to episode 1 or 2 but think the story really doesn't pick up till episode 3. Listened to the rest of them last night and today. Warden got handed a real **** sandwich. I do believe that he has his version of things and there may be more to the story.
One thing that never got answered which was eluded to that they would get to was WHY was he selected to go after. He said that the undercover agent told him years after and he talked about the time he talked to him over the phone but that part was never brought up. I would be very interested in knowing why the feds decided he was a crooked outfitter.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #24
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Never did listen to episode 1 or 2 but think the story really doesn't pick up till episode 3. Listened to the rest of them last night and today. Warden got handed a real **** sandwich. I do believe that he has his version of things and there may be more to the story.
One thing that never got answered which was eluded to that they would get to was WHY was he selected to go after. He said that the undercover agent told him years after and he talked about the time he talked to him over the phone but that part was never brought up. I would be very interested in knowing why the feds decided he was a crooked outfitter.
I agree with many of the above responses, I think Randy Wardens association with Jeff Foils, social media photos leading one to believe his outfitting business was doing allot of "Party Hunting" and him just rubbing a few people the wrong way.

Question to those that have listened to it. Are you going to start separating, tagging and be more aware of possession of from now on?

Rwc
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #25
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
I agree with many of the above responses, I think Randy Wardens association with Jeff Foils, social media photos leading one to believe his outfitting business was doing allot of "Party Hunting" and him just rubbing a few people the wrong way.

Question to those that have listened to it. Are you going to start separating, tagging and be more aware of possession of from now on?

Rwc
Not really worried about the tagging for when hunting with buddies. However the last 4 years I have gone on a guided hunt in Kansas and we had to tag our birds before leaving the field. I did however get checked by the game warden opening weekend this year and he told us we needed to have birds separated, so we put each guys limit on our own lanyards and that was all we had to do and he didn't say anything else about it.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #26
No-Tox
Eight Point

We are always good about separating our ducks on different lanyards and making sure not to pile up or have them all in the back of just one guy's truck.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #27
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Not really worried about the tagging for when hunting with buddies. However the last 4 years I have gone on a guided hunt in Kansas and we had to tag our birds before leaving the field. I did however get checked by the game warden opening weekend this year and he told us we needed to have birds separated, so we put each guys limit on our own lanyards and that was all we had to do and he didn't say anything else about it.
This is what our local warden told me when I asked about separation and tagging, during and after a hunt.

Rwc
Old 02-12-2020, 01:43 PM   #28
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Ok I’ll play. I’ve listened to 13/15 parts - hope to finish today.
As far as the podcast itself . Most of the time it is a grinddd to get through. The host is annoying AF sometimes interrupting for a stupid question. Sometimes it is hardly bareable which has led me weary to suggest the podcast to buddies. Half the episodes I swear Ryan is drunk. He literally goes round and round in circles saying the same shi. If I had a dollar everytime he notes “I used to be in law enforcement” I could (expensive thing here). I feel that the content was there but Ryan is such a terrible storyteller that it killed the podcast for me.

That being said - I understand what the feds did was messed up but after listening to Ryan talk for 13 hours my opinion is he sounds like a dope. If you run a successful business you have to take all measures to CYA and I don’t trust that he did that (obviously neither did the feds). When he lists all the stuff goin wrong in his life I’m kinda not surprised. (Not that I could forget he literally notes every happening in his life like 20-50 times).

I totally agree the law is unclear in tagging , separation etc and I will view it in a different light. However I hunt mostly solo and I’m not a guide so I’m less worried. Knowledge is power though.
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #29
Roy Munson
Eight Point

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ks/pr/r...atory-bird-act

Extremely condensed version of allegations and sentence.

Last edited by Roy Munson; 02-12-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Roy Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #30
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
As far as the podcast itself . Most of the time it is a grinddd to get through. The host is annoying AF sometimes interrupting for a stupid question. Sometimes it is hardly bareable which has led me weary to suggest the podcast to buddies. Half the episodes I swear Ryan is drunk. He literally goes round and round in circles saying the same shi. If I had a dollar everytime he notes “I used to be in law enforcement” I could (expensive thing here). I feel that the content was there but Ryan is such a terrible storyteller that it killed the podcast for me.

That being said - I understand what the feds did was messed up but after listening to Ryan talk for 13 hours my opinion is he sounds like a dope. If you run a successful business you have to take all measures to CYA and I don’t trust that he did that (obviously neither did the feds). When he lists all the stuff goin wrong in his life I’m kinda not surprised. (Not that I could forget he literally notes every happening in his life like 20-50 times).

I totally agree the law is unclear in tagging , separation etc and I will view it in a different light. However I hunt mostly solo and I’m not a guide so I’m less worried. Knowledge is power though.
I think the reason he repeated so much is because it would be a week or more between the last time they talked. I listed to hear his story but wouldn't listen to that podcast again because rocky was terrible.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #31
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:

Bc hes no angle.

I still say guides should not be able to shoot birds on guided hunts. In texas fishing guides can not keep a limit of fish why should guides able to shoot game. They are getting paid for a service not to be paid hunters/fisherman. I know this is not a popular opinion of mine and would take alot of incentive out of one wanting to be a duck guide as they dont make **** for a living.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #32
hopedale
Ten Point

Didn't finish it, but really felt for the guy. Not sure it has done anything for me to change my ways. I've always said in a party shoot, if someone says they knocked it down, fine. Put the bird on your strap. When you're done, stop shooting, and don't plan on me taking your birds if you go over.

Got a buddy of mine could be taking a **** and likes to claim every bird. If I shoot a bird, it goes on my strap and stays with me

Still like the group pick, so I guess after listening to this, we all need to write our Congressmen.

What I don't like about this story is how they waited for over 3 years to bring charges on the guy. It wasn't enough to put a fine on him day 1 of first offense, it was like, let me keep doing this until the statue of charges is about to run out, and then drop the hammer.

Money drives the train, so are the Feds really interested in protecting wildlife or their budget?

IMO, the first time they cought him doing something wrong he should have been cited. And if he is not cited on the spot, then boom, no coming back 3 years later.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #33
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post

Money drives the train, so are the Feds really interested in protecting wildlife or their budget?
Even with that - they took 27 hunts worth of money , two undercover agents time. 52 agents time and hotels for a raid. And countless hours goin through computers and doing research. For $7,500 restitution?

Somethin ain’t adding for me..
Old 02-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #34
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:

I laughed when I read the bold / underlined part of your post. I listened to multiple episodes while driving to and from a few football games with my wife in the car and after about the 3rd episode my wife said almost the same exact thing as you.

Rwc
Old 02-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #35
eastxhunter
Ten Point

^im surprised she put up listening that long with you!!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #36
Rwc
Pope & Young

Quote:
^im surprised she put up listening that long with you!!
Yes sir, but I must confess. After the second episode I would skip to the 15 to 20 minute mark of the podcast, in an a attempt to miss the annoying introduction, Kansas weather reports and play by play weekend softball games.

Hope all have a great weekend.

Rwc
Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
eastxhunter
Ten Point

^so true. Glad you shared though. I thumbed through a lot of the EOL podcasts and found a few good ones. Would recommend 435 it’s about hunting in Utah. I didn’t even know you could hunt swans in the US. 7 states!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Hockley
Eight Point

I looked and couldn't find it on my ipohone podcast.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #39
Texas89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #40
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I’ve listened to about 1/2 of them so far, perfect example of saying 20 words when one would do.
My opinion, I agree that many of the laws in regards to migratory birds are vague and hard to follow and some of the stuff he was fined for is something that any and all of us have done.

I also believe the only reason he didn’t get tagged for much more was because he was smart enough to hire a good attorney. In these podcast he openly admits to breaking many laws worse than what they busted him for and bragged about it publicly to clients and friends. He shouldn’t have been so shocked to have feds all over him.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #41
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Also I think he is exaggerating how much he suspected the two guys as feds. I just googled “George Morrison federal game warden” and this article from 2009 was the first result,
https://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cf...award&_ID=2862
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #42
CTR0022
Ten Point

On a side question how many of yall guys know a guide/outfitter that has been busted for breaking game laws or other laws. I know guides that have killed their own mother (yes they are still guiding here in texas), robbed banks, broken many game laws, been arrested for dealing drugs, burglary, theft, ect. I have hunted and fished with many of these guides over the years. Have seen their names recommended on this site and other social media sites.

Foiles had more of a brand with his calls and videos to lose when he went down. Alot of guides have been caught up in similar situations they just didnt have as much to lose or a name/brand that pretty much everyone in the industry knows.

Foiles wants to paint a picture that he broke some minor laws that everyone breaks on occasion. Ryan wants to just blame his misfortune on being associated with foles.

One of my college professors always said if you run with dogs that got fleas dont get mad when you get them.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #43
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

If you don't know the laws ,then you deserve to get busted. When I was unsure about the interpretation of a law while guiding, I called the USFWS & talked to a federal warden. they used to have a public meeting in the Houston area where they would go over the laws & let you ask questions. I made sure to go to them. The tagging birds law was one of the 1st I asked about. It was a pain sometimes, but better than a ticket.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top