Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default 2020 Workout Accountability thread!!!!!!!!!

Letís get the new year rolling strong (on the 2nd day that is )

Been contributing over the last few years but Iíll admit I fell way short of my goals which was due to 90% excuses and poor eating and 10% a job that was constant travel. This year, like every year, that changes. New job keeping me local plus a brand new 24hr fitness only 300 yards away from the office.

My goals are aggressive but first and most importantly I have 3 nagging injuries I need to take care of instead of ignoring and grinding through the pain. Secondly, get my fat arse as close to 200 pounds as possible. I managed to get down to 215 last year but once the traveling kicked in it went up and it went up fast... 250 came before I new it but Iíve chipped back away and now Iím in the 235 range. Third, some lifting and running goals including finishing a 1/2 and a full marathon, hitting 300 on bench, 425 on squat, and 500 on DL.

Would love to see some others goals and I canít stress enough everyone is only here to help and we are of all shapes and sizes (including fat ) but we are chipping away at the good fight! Chime in and stick around as we always see the uptick at the start and by mid February itís down to around 10-15 people and April is usually down to 5-8 usuals. Want to help change that however I can and even if you come in later in the year with the drive for change letís make it happen!!!!

Good luck and kick arse amigos!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
150class
Pope & Young

Now on with the truth.... I missed yesterday due to laziness and slightly hungover because weíve Been in Cabo drinking and eating like crap since Tuesday

At least itís involved a ton of walking and hiking so it hasnt all been for nothing and I just knocked out a awesome Shoulder and Back workout with brief cardio and abs in between each set. As knocked out a 1 mile jog as a warm up.

Hereís the gym view for the next few days:

Old 01-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

I think everyone gains some pounds during deer season. I gained 10lbs myself .going for 20 lbs weight loss this year I will try to post up but I go to the gym 5- 6 days after season during season 3-4 days a week. Weight now is 208 will go back to fasting also . Did an hour today at the gym.
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Now on with the truth.... I missed yesterday due to laziness and slightly hungover because weíve Been in Cabo drinking and eating like crap since Tuesday

At least itís involved a ton of walking and hiking so it hasnt all been for nothing and I just knocked out a awesome Shoulder and Back workout with brief cardio and abs in between each set. As knocked out a 1 mile jog as a warm up.

Hereís the gym view for the next few days:

Something is better than nothing. 👍🏼
Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Dang. I eased into it today. 30 minutes on the elliptical. Gonna do a couple days of this then start light weights and go from there.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Kerr, & San Jacinto County

I’m definitely in to get myself back in shape! Used to power-lift in highschool so cardio was literally never a part of my workouts, and I forced myself to eat just to gain weight. Seems like I need to quit eating so much and hit the cardio harder ��. I can stick to it for a few months, then I lose sight of it.. Seems like between running a business and trying to spend time with family, there’s never enough time in the day to workout.

What are you guys doing for food? Prepping, sticking to an easy plan possibly?
TX_DReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Iím going to commit to the intermittent fasting and carb conscious deal. I do so much better on that... Iím a big dude also had the linebacker to left guard build and when I follow that plan I feel the best. Need to add more dark berries and leafy greens though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexanDuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDuke View Post
Iím going to commit to the intermittent fasting and carb conscious deal. I do so much better on that... Iím a big dude also had the linebacker to left guard build and when I follow that plan I feel the best. Need to add more dark berries and leafy greens though.

Well hey there neighbor! I love me some carbs. How often do you fast? 24hr periods?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #9
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_DReezen View Post
Well hey there neighbor! I love me some carbs. How often do you fast? 24hr periods?

Lol yes! New Neighbor, moved into valley ranch a month or so ago

I start to eat at 3 in the afternoon. Do a small snack at 3 and eat a full dinner. Finish with some yogurt or probiotic after dinner, then call it quits. Use some snake juice or electrolytes throughout the dry periods to keep from getting too hungry.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:

I start to eat at 3 in the afternoon. Do a small snack at 3 and eat a full dinner. Finish with some yogurt or probiotic after dinner, then call it quits. Use some snake juice or electrolytes throughout the dry periods to keep from getting too hungry.

Heck yeah! My shop is on 1314, and I live off of 1485, lol.

I hardly ever eat breakfast, normally and iced coffee with a protein shake mixed in (yes, I canít drink real coffee), and lunch generally stays small as Iím on my feet all day working. Then dinners are always huge because I am starving by then.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #11
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Been off the workout thread for a couple months. I haven't added any weight, as I've still been pretty active. Unfortunately, my chest is starting to fall to my gut and everything else is getting soft. Finally brought in the elliptical we bought last spring... last night. Won a 30 day Athlean X program on YouTube back in October, I plan to start it first. Didn't finish the AX-2 program I started back last summer, missed the last couple weeks. Probably won't get back into weights for a couple weeks, but will probably use the elliptical a few times a week until then. Good luck everyone! Even if you fall off for a couple weeks/months you can always start over and come back. I usually do every winter due to the shorter daylight hours after work.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #12
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Well hey there neighbor!
Quote:
Howdy, neighbors. I'm in Riverwalk with several other TBHers.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

Yíall we need to sacrifice and have a cold one

Old 01-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
TexanDuke
Eight Point

Quote:
Heck yeah! My shop is on 1314, and I live off of 1485, lol.

I hardly ever eat breakfast, normally and iced coffee with a protein shake mixed in (yes, I canít drink real coffee), and lunch generally stays small as Iím on my feet all day working. Then dinners are always huge because I am starving by then.

Dang man! Stones throw... what do you do?

I started taking Alpha T2 during the day and it really helped me out.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #15
mikerosa
Eight Point

2019 actually was good for me gym wise. I canít do what I did when I last was serious about the gym 12 years ago, but, Iíve been on a good pace thatís strengthened me quite a bit without leaving it all out on the gym floor. Just going very easy, lots of reps and doing full movements that stretch my ligaments and muscles while pushing blood thru the muscles and joints.

I feel great. This year, though itís not a resolution, is to do some cardio. Always hated distance running but I have to expand my lungs more.

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #16
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Im back at it. I spent December in the gym getting my body ready to hit it hard this month after an 8 month off period. Im trying to drop 15 lbs and get my strength back. I weighed 203 last Friday and want to get down to 185-188 range which is where I had been for years prior to this layoff. I got in a full 2+ hr workout today doing shoulders, traps, cardio and stretching. I will be in the gym 4-6 times a week depending on travel schedule. I started on the Keto diet last Friday as well. It is my first time doing it so we'll see how that goes. Im also doing IF most days as well. My IF is normally 18 hrs give or take an hr. My goal is to get all 15 lbs off by the end of January. The avg weight lose for the first month on Keto is supposed to be right at 15 lbs. I figure if that works I can then just go back to eating and exercising like I have in the past to maintain my weight. With my normal eating and exercise plan I can lose about 1-1.5 lbs a week. Im hoping this is an accelerated short cut to the weight lose.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #17
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:
Dang man! Stones throw... what do you do?

I started taking Alpha T2 during the day and it really helped me out.

Late model domestic auto. performance. Vettes, Camaros, Mopar, all that lame stuff
Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

Used to live back there under an old account. Just forgot the login info. from years back so decided to restart
Old 01-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #19
150class
Pope & Young

Good for yall locals having a beer after a hardcore workout

More drinks at the rehearsal dinner so..... Extra long chest and cardio in the AM! Then lots of sunglasses eye work outs at the resort pool....
Old 01-02-2020, 11:47 PM   #20
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:
Good for yall locals having a beer after a hardcore workout

More drinks at the rehearsal dinner so..... Extra long chest and cardio in the AM! Then lots of sunglasses eye work outs at the resort pool....

Iím a whiskey and coke kinda guy.. is that better? Better drink lots of water by the pool, canít have your eyes cramping up under those glasses!

Old 01-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #21
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
I’m a whiskey and coke kinda guy.. is that better? Better drink lots of water by the pool, can’t have your eyes cramping up under those glasses!

Whoa..... Just left the pool... Eyes are strained lol Only had 4 margs before the wedding so all is well

Chest and cardio this morning for me. Limited to DB’s and a cable machine only and had a guy ask me to join in on my workout so my fat arse must be doing something right!

2500 jump ropes and finished with stairs throughout the resort and running from stair case to stair case. 71 mins for 875 cals.

Last edited by 150class; 01-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #22
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Started the new year workout today. I made it one day last week, but that was all since I went tot he lease on Thursday. I love the holidays,b ut they play heck with my routine and my nutrition. I haven't gone full keto, but will greatly reduce my carb intake for sure. I'm 6'4 and 233 as of this morning. Once again I'm going to try and get my BF% down to around 12, but I'd like to keep my total body weight at or around 230. I haven't checked it, but I'm sure I'm around 16-18%. The best laid plans.....

I took it kinda light this morning and kept the reps in the 10-12 range. Legs and back supersets with some good ab work mixed in.

T-bar row/hack squat/incline situp
Bilateral lat pulldown/prone leg curl/cable rotation
Bent over BB row/Bilateral leg press/hanging leg raise
Ab roller/box step-ups

Tomorrow will be chest and biceps.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #23
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I have been hitting the gym off and on since the middle of November when the doctor cleared me to start a exercise program after surgery in September. Off part has been when hunting so I am getting plenty of exercise and Thanksgiving/Christmas. On days when I was in town. Hit it this morning. Got to start somewhere.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

I've got 4 months before a trip to the Bahamas.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #25
TX_DReezen
Four Point

What kind of cardio are yíall guys squeezing in? I hate it but I know itís the only thing that will put me ďin shapeĒ Have a treadmill at home (and bench/squat rack, misc.), but have access to Golds Gym as well. The bicycle seems easier on my body but I never feel like it does anything for me.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uh yeah. About that...

In for 2020!

2020 goals: Ironman Galveston 70.3, 1:15:00 for Shadow Creek Sprint tri, do an Olympic distance tri, 4:30:00 marathon

Legs are still recovering from NYD but I did 1600yd swim and 13 mile ride over the weekend. This week easing back into training and next week will really begin to crank the volume towards April.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
150class
Pope & Young

Made it back home from Cabo yesterday and then ran up to Dallas to pick up the dogs and meet a TBH'er for a classified deal so no gym. Today starts the new years resolutions since its the first day back home and hitting the gym this evening (duck hunted this morning).
Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #28
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
What kind of cardio are yíall guys squeezing in? I hate it but I know itís the only thing that will put me ďin shapeĒ Have a treadmill at home (and bench/squat rack, misc.), but have access to Golds Gym as well. The bicycle seems easier on my body but I never feel like it does anything for me.

I agree with the bike lacking the push I want but running right off the back if the legs or knees are know to have some pain and running is pretty stressful on those joints in general. By all means ease into running if you havent been doing much. One of the best things I have been doing is just cutting my resting times between reps down to 20-30 seconds to keep the heart rate going.
Also mixing in some jump rope, high knees, mountain climbers, and core in between sets to keep things moving. I also plan on mixing in swimming this year.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #29
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Said I was in for 2019, I wasn't. In for 2020 for sure. Weighed in at 190 for the Family challenge. My lowest was 155-160, highest was 220-225. Way too close to the top end again.
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #30
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, Kansas and Out West

I’m doing orange theory fitness and really enjoy it. Deer season was rough, time to get back on the grind! Goals this year - get in best shape of life
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #31
ddcainjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Iím doing orange theory fitness and really enjoy it. Deer season was rough, time to get back on the grind! Goals this year - get in best shape of life

I've been going to Orangetheory for over a year now and I love it! Ran a half marathon in December and OTF was ~90% of my training.
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #32
James
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcainjr View Post
I've been going to Orangetheory for over a year now and I love it! Ran a half marathon in December and OTF was ~90% of my training.

Thatís awesome! Iíve been doing it over a year now Also, Iím down 25 pounds. When I started I could barely run a mile and just did 4 miles in 28:00 flat. I feel amazing and am considering training for an iron man. The competitive group workout atmosphere drives me!

Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #33
150class
Pope & Young

Great to here OTF working for you guys! I fund my wifes OTF membership lol
Old 01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #34
James
Ten Point

Quote:

Funny! Yea being only one of the few guys in a class surrounded by chicks in yoga pants isnít that bad either

Old 01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #35
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Quote:

I'm learning to love/hate the assault bike. Seems easier on my knees than running and when I push myself on it, I will dang near pass out. For me, hadn't found any cardio equipment that gets me like it does but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

This morning did 4 rounds of 30 cal assault bike with 25 floor to overheads with a 45lb plate. I was layed out on the floor!!
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #36
ddcainjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:

My wife goes there too. I've lost ~90 lbs since joining (160 lbs in the last 1.5 years).

The coaches and members push me way harder than I do just going to a gym.

I plan on running another half this spring and a full marathon in the fall.
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Funny! Yea being only one of the few guys in a class surrounded by chicks in yoga pants isnít that bad either

Oh crud that was not meant to be a jab by any means! I have done a few of the classes and they are a awesome workout. I just wish she would pay for her membership lol But then again its a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #38
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcainjr View Post
My wife goes there too. I've lost ~90 lbs since joining (160 lbs in the last 1.5 years).

The coaches and members push me way harder than I do just going to a gym.

I plan on running another half this spring and a full marathon in the fall.
Awesome stuff and keep it up!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #39
James
Ten Point

Quote:
Oh crud that was not meant to be a jab by any means! I have done a few of the classes and they are a awesome workout. I just wish she would pay for her membership lol But then again its a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.
Didnít take it as a jab at all Buddy! Glad sheís enjoying it
Old 01-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #40
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

2019 I finally got back in the gym pretty serious (little harder at 44 years old)

From May to end of year 2019:

Bench: 185 to 265
Squats: 200 to 315 (really need to improve but nursing knees)
Deadlift: 250 to 350
Been learning how to properly do Cleans
Finished couple of Spartan races (super, sprint, stadion) but nothing fantastic on times.

2020:
1) Gonna hit 1000lb for those 3 combined lifts. Think if I get back down to 165 that be pretty cool goal for a 45 year old.
2) Complete Spartan beast in under 4 hours (15+ miles and 30+ obstacles)
3) Hand stand walk (about 35')
4) Consistent 165lbs and under 13% body fat
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #41
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Will be starting one of my old 5x5 programs tonight with short rest periods, once Iím caught back up Iíll hit the weights heavier! Will keep yaí posted!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #42
150class
Pope & Young

1 mile warm up and chest this evening. I won’t be going back to the gym that time of again for awhile
Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #43
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
2019 I finally got back in the gym pretty serious (little harder at 44 years old)

From May to end of year 2019:

Bench: 185 to 265
Squats: 200 to 315 (really need to improve but nursing knees)
Deadlift: 250 to 350
Been learning how to properly do Cleans
Finished couple of Spartan races (super, sprint, stadion) but nothing fantastic on times.

2020:
1) Gonna hit 1000lb for those 3 combined lifts. Think if I get back down to 165 that be pretty cool goal for a 45 year old.
2) Complete Spartan beast in under 4 hours (15+ miles and 30+ obstacles)
3) Hand stand walk (about 35')
4) Consistent 165lbs and under 13% body fat
Rock on man, you are killing it. I was into spartan a couple years ago until my back went out. I did 2 sprints and the super. I plan on getting the trifecta this year.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #44
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

Did 1 1/2 hours today. Going back to my regular 5-6 days a week at the gym now that deer season is over for me .
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #45
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Just got back from the gym myself, ended up doing a light chest/arms/core, worked up to about 245lb on bench for reps. So not too far away from where I left off, but man has the endurance disappeared. 6PM and NY resolutioners at a major gym do NOT mix

Going to start getting there at 6AM to get the day rolling. Legs and more core in the morning!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #46
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

It's been a LONG time, like 15 years, since I've seen a gym, but the wife signed her and I up for a local fitness/cross fit type outfit. I need to get in shape horribly, but I know I'm going to suffer initially! My fitness goals are simple:
Lose a few pounds and just get healthier
cwill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #47
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
It's been a LONG time, like 15 years, since I've seen a gym, but the wife signed her and I up for a local fitness/cross fit type outfit. I need to get in shape horribly, but I know I'm going to suffer initially! My fitness goals are simple:
Lose a few pounds and just get healthier

That crossfit stuff will get you into shape no doubt! Some intense stuff from what Iíve seen.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #48
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I haven't done any serious cardio in a while. Dropped off the 2019 thread around October. Got on the elliptical today... first time on one. Got in 0.64 miles in 8 minutes and I was pretty much done. I got it to use to warm up before weight lifting, but figured I'd try to cut some fat a couple weeks before hitting the weights again. Kept my speed between 4.6 and 5.7. The wife said I need to go slower. That really didn't seem like I was going very fast. I'll try to keep the speed around 3 next time... probably Wednesday.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #49
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Finally started today for the new year. Daughter and I did a 1-1.5 mile 20-25 minute run/walk when we got home. Got the heart rate up to 130s for about 15-20 minutes. Then ate meat and veggies only for dinner.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #50
150class
Pope & Young

About to head in for arms and core!
Curious to how the crowds are.

Also have chicken and veggies packed for lunch.