Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
Duckologist
Eight Point

Default Sonora County Turkey??

Is it looking as dismal as last spring?
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Is it looking as dismal as last spring?

I'm just north of yall in Christoval. It has been pathetic on camera this spring so far. We usually have hens all over the cameras this time of year with the gobblers showing up in March. With as little rain as we had this fall and winter up until the last week and no real green winter grass to speak of, you'd think they would be all over corn, but they aren't. We're hoping the astronomical amount of acorns from this fall have kept them away.

I think I have had two pics of turkeys since mid December. One of about 10 hens (normally our groups are 30-50) and the other pic was 3 jakes. Spent 2 days there last weekend filling protein and water all over the ranch and saw one small flock of hens driving out early Sunday am. Last year was down some but still productive. This, so far, seems much worse. Needless to say, I'm concerned about this year.....but still holding out that they will show.

Last edited by Smart; 02-14-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I'm just north of yall in Christoval. It has been pathetic on camera this spring so far. We usually have hens all over the cameras this time of year with the gobblers showing up in March. With as little rain as we had this fall and winter up until the last week and no real green winter grass to speak of, you'd think they would be all over corn, but they aren't. We're hoping the astronomical amount of acorns from this fall have kept them away.

I think I have had two pics of turkeys since mid December. One of about 10 hens (normally our groups are 30-50) and the other pic was 3 jakes. Spent 2 days there last weekend filling protein and water all over the ranch and saw one small flock of hens driving out early Sunday am. Last year was down some but still productive. This, so far, seems much worse. Needless to say, I'm concerned about this year.....but still holding out that they will show.
Well that blows
Old 02-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well that blows

Yup....I'm starting to enjoy it as much if not more than deer hunting and I'm hoping it turns around the next 1.5 months.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
eradicator
Pope & Young

Smart, when I was hunting at Ft Stockton the population was all over the map. Some years unreal, some horrible and it seemed to change yearly. It was strange. I just got on a new place at Iraan, so looking forward to see how the turkey situation is. Doesn't sound like I should get my hopes up right now
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

We're just east of Sonora near Roosevelt. We're covered up in corn buzzards. I'd ship you some if I could.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

The ups/downs of turkey nesting success is something that I can't figure out. I would think you guys would have a huge advantage over us (Karnes/Wilson Counties) due to our crazy amount of hogs.

I think they are still around and maybe just not in their "home" area for some reason. Our birds down here have totally different ranges in winter and spring. The place we turkey hunted SW of Sonora was loaded with large flocks of birds during deer season, but they would move out every spring. Mature gobblers were tough to find on 4k acres come early April

Hopefully they start showing up for you guys.
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

*Sutton
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Smart, when I was hunting at Ft Stockton the population was all over the map. Some years unreal, some horrible and it seemed to change yearly. It was strange. I just got on a new place at Iraan, so looking forward to see how the turkey situation is. Doesn't sound like I should get my hopes up right now

We have been pretty solid except in 2011/2012 after the drought. There have been some unreal years for sure but usually pretty solid. We had good rain last spring and solid grasses for nesting. I was expecting a pot full of hens and jakes this spring but not so far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
We're just east of Sonora near Roosevelt. We're covered up in corn buzzards. I'd ship you some if I could.

Please do.. ...particularly Tommy and his buddies....
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime. I just figured it was always like that. Definitely wasn’t like chasing these mute easterns around here.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
*Sutton
Yes, forgive my brain fart
Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime. I just figured it was always like that. Definitely wasn’t like chasing these mute easterns around here.
These dang easterns are rough!!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime.

Its a beautiful thing when they are right...
Old 02-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #14
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Please do.. ...particularly Tommy and his buddies....
We have a creek running through the middle of our place with lots of big pecan trees and oaks for roosting. Always lots of turkeys around. Every now and then we have literal hoards of them. Last month, for a couple weeks there were several hundred. Just ridiculous. At a minimum, we see several dozen.

For some reason, I just don't get excited about turkey. I've hunted a couple places in the past that had huge numbers of them, similar to where we're at now with a creek and lots of roosting trees, etc.... When there are that many of them, they get to be annoying pretty fast.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #15
Duckologist
Eight Point

Wink

Quote:
We have a creek running through the middle of our place with lots of big pecan trees and oaks for roosting. Always lots of turkeys around. Every now and then we have literal hoards of them. Last month, for a couple weeks there were several hundred. Just ridiculous. At a minimum, we see several dozen.

For some reason, I just don't get excited about turkey. I've hunted a couple places in the past that had huge numbers of them, similar to where we're at now with a creek and lots of roosting trees, etc.... When there are that many of them, they get to be annoying pretty fast.
Ahhh yes that's why you have a lot. Ok sounds like we need to make a spring time work trip to your place. Will work for turkey huntin!!
Old 02-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #16
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

We are West of Sonora south of the caverns and we're covered up in Turkeys! They had a very good hatch last year. Our whitetail population took a hit but the turkey population exploded. I had 20+ Tom's in one picture from my Cell Camera this week.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

We have/had a lot as well.....generally anyway... ClayW's Dad, PoPo hunted with us and his DSD dekes were violated/assaulted by a pod of 22 gobblers two years ago. Said it was the coolest thing he had every seen in his turkey hunting days. I had a bout with that same pod later in the weekend but it was only 17. Those were excellent years but we generally have solid numbers anyway. I love every bit of spring turkey season over decoys and now even more so with a bow over these better decoys. During deer season, I understand your disdain. I mean I still like to see the gobblers but I like saving them for spring and adding to my beard spur displays. They can stay away from my corn though.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
We are West of Sonora south of the caverns and we're covered up in Turkeys! They had a very good hatch last year. Our whitetail population took a hit but the turkey population exploded. I had 20+ Tom's in one picture from my Cell Camera this week.

Man yall are killin' me.. Hopefully our neighboring properties' birds are gonna spring break vacation with us
Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #19
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have/had a lot as well.....generally anyway... ClayW's Dad, PoPo hunted with us and his DSD dekes were violated/assaulted by a pod of 22 gobblers two years ago. Said it was the coolest thing he had every seen in his turkey hunting days. I had a bout with that same pod later in the weekend but it was only 17. Those were excellent years but we generally have solid numbers anyway. I love every bit of spring turkey season over decoys and now even more so with a bow over these better decoys. During deer season, I understand your disdain. I mean I still like to see the gobblers but I like saving them for spring and adding to my beard spur displays. They can stay away from my corn though.
Spring (and summer and fall and winter) is axis season for us, so turkeys are just in the way for me then too.

I generally like other calling/decoying types of hunting (varmints, ducks, elk, etc.). And I've enjoyed calling and killing turkey when I've done it. They just don't trip my trigger for some reason. I don't really know why. They're cool birds, and I would much rather eat a wild turkey than a grocery store turkey. But I just never have been fired up about hunting them. It's weird, 'cause I like to hunt just about anything.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #20
slayr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde County

We typically don’t have too many birds, but for some reason this fall we were seeing them a very regular basis.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #21
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ahhh yes that's why you have a lot. Ok sounds like we need to make a spring time work trip to your place. Will work for turkey huntin!!
If you could kill all the turkeys and hogs in a weekend, it would be awesome!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
If you could kill all the turkeys and hogs in a weekend, it would be awesome!
I can give it my best shot lol
Old 02-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

If anyone, in any part of the state, needs help thinning out their turkeys this spring, I'd be more than happy to oblige!
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #24
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

And I humbly ask to be second in line
Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #25
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
And I humbly ask to be second in line
I axed first lol, even offered up my labor
Old 02-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Quote:
I axed first lol, even offered up my labor
My apologies 3rd id even offer my next born to go back to Sonora lol

Last edited by Jcjohnson; 02-14-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #27
TwoHighways
Six Point

Cameras aren’t showing much at my place either. Historically start getting groups of birds on camera this month. Maybe the warm weather this weekend will get them going a little.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top