Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
rowdyv10
Four Point

Hunt In: Young County
Default Need info on living near Gas Well

Looking for some perspective.

Found a property the wife and I would like to move forward on an offer with. 3/2, 2 acres, shop, treed with larger adjacent properties having pastures, tucked back away from road...Feels like home. The property directly adjacent has a tank battery and gas well site with meter/monitor on it. This is about 100 yards from the front porch. The access to the property we're interested in has an easement, also utilized by gas co to get to the site. It appears no lines go through the property we're interested in, but the site is close. Property has a water well. No mineral rights.

I have lived in city all my life and this is our move to a few acres. I understand this is Texas and they're around every corner, rural or urban. Looking for some insight. What are some things I should consider? Is this an issue for you or no? Potential environmental hazards? Resale Value? I don't feel it's currently an eye sore, but if the properties around us are eventually sold off and developed down the road I'd hate to be looking at some sort of privacy fence like they have in an urban setting.... or, am I over thinking it. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

rowdyv10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I assume that is a pumping unit behind the trees, to me it's a no but I've listened to and worked on those things my whole life. If the noise don't bother you and it is a good deal then there is no harm in it being there. It looks a well established pad so there won't be much traffic in there, maybe a pumper once a day or so and a water or oil hauler once a month.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
rowdyv10
Four Point

Thanks. I am trying to load another pic of the site for you industry guys to help me identify it. I have been to the property twice, a week apart, different times of day and have not heard any noise from it standing at the house.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

You will never know it’s there unless you share the lease road with it. If you do you will have water haulers at all hours of the day and night driving by your house.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I definitely feel it would impact resale value.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
I definitely feel it would impact resale value.
Not in north Texas.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

There's no way of knowing but the best place to find oil/gas is where it's already being produced. The potential is there for some company to come in to try for another production zone or to rework the current well, for example, a very large portion of the current Permian activity is operating in areas that were dog stripper wells before. Just something to consider.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #8
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County
Default Need info on living near Gas Well

Is the well even producing? Looks like trees are grown up all around the tank, through the stairs and catwalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
rowdyv10
Four Point

Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
oktx
Pope & Young

Show the wellhead. That guy is looking at the meter run.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
oktx
Pope & Young

What county?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
rowdyv10
Four Point

didn't get the pic of wellhead, its in Peaster, Parker Co.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
Mod70
Four Point

I’m with MBV77. Well doesn’t appear to be in production. But could be wrong.
Mod70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyv10 View Post
didn't get the pic of wellhead, its in Peaster, Parker Co.
The sign says Devon. It may have been sold to another company.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #15
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I'd be more concerned with only easement access
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
I assume that is a pumping unit behind the trees, to me it's a no but I've listened to and worked on those things my whole life. If the noise don't bother you and it is a good deal then there is no harm in it being there. It looks a well established pad so there won't be much traffic in there, maybe a pumper once a day or so and a water or oil hauler once a month.
??? Pumpjacks pump crude oil, not gas.

I have lived with oil and gas wells all around us in NE Texas. I currently have an oil well with a submerged pump probably 50 yards from my front door and a pump jack not 50-60 yards from my back door. We pay them no mind. I have oil and gas lines that cross my property. It has been a way of life in Gregg County since the 1930's and 40's.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #17
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Is the well even producing? Looks like trees are grown up all around the tank, through the stairs and catwalk.

Natural gas is not stored in tanks like that. Tank batteries are for storing crude oil.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #18
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post

I have lived with oil and gas wells all around us in NE Texas. I currently have an oil well with a submerged pump probably 50 yards from my front door and a pump jack not 50-60 yards from my back door. We pay them no mind. I have oil and gas lines that cross my property. It has been a way of life in Gregg County since the 1930's and 40's.
But they still make gas.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:

Plus there only looks to be one water tank and no oil tanks. I think he missed the word ĎGasí in the title.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
mrc
Ten Point

[QUOTE=Burnadell;14198590]??? Pumpjacks pump crude oil, not gas.

Pump jacks move fluid whether it is oil or water or both. There appears to be 210 bbl. tanks there, the pump jack moves the water out of the formation to let the gas out if it is not a free flowing well. The tanks either hold the water to be hauled off or the oil that may also be produced.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #21
oktx
Pope & Young

Found it.
Name:  F633D3A5-5579-443F-A08D-252D66B0A73A.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  82.0 KB
Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
oktx
Pope & Young

Mrc is correct. It moves fluid to allow gas to flow.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #23
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
Natural gas is not stored in tanks like that. Tank batteries are for storing crude oil.

Yes I know that....hence my statement that thereís only a water tank there and no oil tank.

And I also have to correct myself. There are pump jacks set up on gas wells to pump water. I just remembered a few we had in the Barnett shale.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #24
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
And water. One tank will hold both oil and water.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #25
Burnadell
Pope & Young

[quote=mrc;14198619]
Quote:

Pump jacks move fluid whether it is oil or water or both. There appears to be 210 bbl. tanks there, the pump jack moves the water out of the formation to let the gas out if it is not a free flowing well. The tanks either hold the water to be hauled off or the oil that may also be produced.
He said this was a gas well. I have lived in the East Texas oil field for most of my life, and I have never heard of putting a pump jack on a gas well. Gas and water may be produced by the oil well as a by-product, but not as a primary product of a well with a pump jack on it. I don't believe companies place pump jacks on gas wells. If it will not flow by pressure, it is not efficient to try to pump gas.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
oktx
Pope & Young

[quote=Burnadell;14198656]
Quote:

He said this was a gas well. I have lived in the East Texas oil field for most of my life, and I have never heard of putting a pump jack on a gas well. Gas and water may be produced by the oil well as a by-product, but not as a primary product of a well with a pump jack on it. I don't believe companies place pump jacks on gas wells. If it will not flow by pressure, it is not efficient to try to pump gas.
The pump jack pumps water off the GAS well to allow the gas to flow up the tubing. The water holds the gas back. Itís probably a low performing well and wonít flow on itís own. Hence the pump jack.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #27
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I think it is just a matter of semantics; whether we call it a gas well or an oil well (that also produces gas).
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #28
mrc
Ten Point

Quote:

I agree but this is N. TX and we do things a bit different here, it may have originally been an oil well but went dry as one of ours did. It still made enough gas to sell and producing it was cheaper than plugging it, you run it once a month or so to get the water off then sell a little gas, to keep the RRC happy. But crap this is all speculation anyway, call Devon and ask them.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #29
Burnadell
Pope & Young

[quote=mrc;14198666]
Quote:

I agree but this is N. TX and we do things a bit different here, it may have originally been an oil well but went dry as one of ours did. It still made enough gas to sell and producing it was cheaper than plugging it, you run it once a month or so to get the water off then sell a little gas, to keep the RRC happy. But crap this is all speculation anyway, call Devon and ask them.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #30
oktx
Pope & Young

[quote=mrc;14198666]
Quote:

I donít think itís a Devon well any longer. My app says Go Oil.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #31
rowdyv10
Four Point

Thanks for all the conversation guys, I'm learning. I didn't get a visual on any pump jacks out there, and I am definitely uneducated on the equipment and its functions. So I understand, the tank is a holding tank for byproduct, service trucks will pull it out in intervals. I can't get the pics to load but on the monitor one of the displays read "Volume Yesterday: 41.86437 MCF" and "Yest. flow time: 24.0 hrs" .... So I would assume this is producing. I guess I'm just concerned whether this is going to turn into a pad site again for whatever reason, and I have that to wake up to out my window. Service trucks here and there I can deal with.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #32
mrc
Ten Point

And anyway with the way things are done in the oilfield that meter loop may belong to a well 2 miles away, and they may bobtail oil in there from another lease to sell. At 41 MCF it is not a big producer, hence it was probably sold to Go Oil.

Last edited by mrc; 06-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #33
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for all the conversation guys, I'm learning. I didn't get a visual on any pump jacks out there, and I am definitely uneducated on the equipment and its functions. So I understand, the tank is a holding tank for byproduct, service trucks will pull it out in intervals. I can't get the pics to load but on the monitor one of the displays read "Volume Yesterday: 41.86437 MCF" and "Yest. flow time: 24.0 hrs" .... So I would assume this is producing. I guess I'm just concerned whether this is going to turn into a pad site again for whatever reason, and I have that to wake up to out my window. Service trucks here and there I can deal with.
Yup. Itís making gas.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #34
rowdyv10
Four Point

on RRC website and land survey it states it is a GO Oil Lease. So how easy would you speculate it would be for me to get ahold of these guys and feel out their potential future for this site?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #35
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
on RRC website and land survey it states it is a GO Oil Lease. So how easy would you speculate it would be for me to get ahold of these guys and feel out their potential future for this site?
I doubt there will be any further exploration.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #36
mrc
Ten Point

Quote:
Really doubtful anything will happen most of the zones are pretty well played out. Now if they come up with new technology in the future, or find a way to frac the Barnett Shale there something could happen. My guess is it is a small co.pany that picked it up cheap because Devon didn't want to plug it. They will produce it and hope to get rich someday.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM   #37
XR650RRider
Six Point

Quote:
There are several laterals (horizontal wells) already under the property, so the chances of using it for a surface location are pretty slim. That well has been producing since 1980 and has probably had $3,000,000 production over it's life. Probably makes very little water, so maybe 1-2 trucks a month. Might be a swab rig on it occasionally but probably very little activity. It's still making up to $6,000/month, so they won't be plugging it. You can use that API number and go to Texas RRC GIS app and click on info for wells button at top, then click the well and you can download information that contains operator address. From your screen shot you were almost there, you'll see the "i" on the toolbar for information, then well.

Last edited by XR650RRider; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
XR650RRider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #38
DedDuk
Four Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

I may or may not have killed deer from tanks like that.......
DedDuk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #39
Robert
Eight Point

After 3 months you won’t even notice it. It a gas well no pumping unit needed.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #40
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

I know this is Texas but for resale I would think it would turn away allot of prospective buyers.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #41
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
I know this is Texas but for resale I would think it would turn away allot of prospective buyers.
Just city people.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #42
oktx
Pope & Young

I looked on google maps, I don't see a wellhead.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #43
Farmdog
Ten Point

I bought 60 acres in front of my house with a poor performing gas well, I don’t have the mineral rights, the first month I received 700.00 in the mail. The checks got smaller and smaller but continued for Many years almost 2 decades, I had them remove and pull the pipe years later. They quit mailing checks
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #44
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:

Pumping unit, is designed to lift fluid, not just oil. And we are lifting fluid to get to the gas. Whatever fluid that is, oil or water, you want what’s below it too, which is gas. Gas flows up the casing, while the pumping unit unloads the well up the tubing.

I wouldn’t be too much concerned unless there was a lot of water hauling or oil hauling traffic in and out. Although, there is always a chance at a re - complete or re - frac which could turn a quiet old well into a water/oil making monster.

Last edited by TheHammer; Yesterday at 10:15 AM.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #45
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Just city people.
Maybe, just maybe?
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #46
kingchip
Eight Point

Hunt In: south and more south

Quote:

Efficient has little to do with it these days. It may not even be profitable, but operators buy these leases for nothing and operate them for the sole purpose of holding the lease by production. HBP acreage is all over the state, and not profitable, but legal with an old producers 88 lease. They are hedging on the lease being worth more in the future to flip it.
kingchip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #47
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

There selling for a reason, whatever story they might tell ya. Potential of any type of hazard or accident is always there. Some buy there house next to a airport and then complain later about the noise. Just saying.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #48
rowdyv10
Four Point

Realtor reports property owner claims its a non-producing well and has only received "a check for about $2.00 the past few years", he believes it will probably be capped soon. Does the display of "Volume Yesterday: 41.86437 MCF" and "Yest. flow time: 24.0 hrs" back that claim up? The tank was there when they bought the property years ago and they have never seen more than a pickup truck come and read the meter/monitor.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #49
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Realtor reports property owner claims its a non-producing well and has only received "a check for about $2.00 the past few years", he believes it will probably be capped soon. Does the display of "Volume Yesterday: 41.86437 MCF" and "Yest. flow time: 24.0 hrs" back that claim up? The tank was there when they bought the property years ago and they have never seen more than a pickup truck come and read the meter/monitor.
I bet what you are reading is from another well not on property.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #50
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
There selling for a reason, whatever story they might tell ya. Potential of any type of hazard or accident is always there. Some buy there house next to a airport and then complain later about the noise. Just saying.
Lol I think everyone sells for a reason. You know like relocating closer to a job or family. Buying a bigger house, a smaller house or a lake house etc. Just because there is an old well nearby doesnít mean that has anything to do with why they are selling.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top