Jewelry box from spare SYP 2x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jewelry box from spare SYP 2x4

Well didnt realize that my wife didnt actually have a jewelry box,so I told her I'd make one. Son got sick last night so stayed home from church and got started this morning while he was sleeping.

Had a spare piece of 2x4 block that looked like I could rip it to 4 walls. So (with hand saws) made guide lines with my tenon saw and then ripped with the hand saw.

Forgot to take pics of that, but then cut some other spare pieces, because I wanted to do inlaid finger joints. If you haven't done that before, basically you do one layer of finger joint, cut the board to flat, and do another layer of finger joint cutting into (but leaving a layer) of the last ones. So marked my finger joints but didnt cut, and torched the walls. Then remeasured and did final cuts. Currently have front inlays in and gluing. Had to fill a bit with sawdust since I'm going quick.
    Attached Files

I commend the effort.
    Since you like doing things the hard way, PM me your address and I will send you some off-cuts of some nice domestic and exotic hardwoods.
    You are working too hard for a 2x4.

Comment

You have more patience than I do. In for the results

Comment

Well finally back at this. Finished the other side today... think I've learned I need a sharper saw for this soft pine, and cant do these small cuts. Rips out too much and leaves gaps, breaks, etc.

Cant seem to upload a picture for the life of me with my new phone. Have the camera setting to the lowest so cant be size I think.

Knowing how the cuts have gone so far, I'm trying to think of best way to attach the walls to the front
        Last edited by Hooverfb; 08-04-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Did some smaller box joints for attaching the side, but since it's so thin it cracked... it looks okay but think I might want to fill with epoxy or something. It's a small crack but will bother me (especially since it's a torched pine side). May clean up fine once theres a layer of polyurethane on it.

Anybody know how to attach pictures for higher quality images? Since I got my new phone with better camera it wont let me attach anything.

Comment

I'm not sure how to attach the pics but I hope you can post them! I'm curious to see the results of all that hard work!

Comment

I had to text them to myself to compress them then load, but here's a few.

I pretty much sharpen my saw before each session of working on it, trying to avoid the pine tearing out too much or being too flexible/giving.
              The crack is highlighted here since my flash was on and was working at night.
              Man looking at it I'm amazed I was able to even rip the sides that thin without them snapping on me lol.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Hooverfb; 08-13-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I would go back to the drawing board. You have any power tools? Table saw?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  I would go back to the drawing board. You have any power tools? Table saw?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Other than a circular saw, no. But gonna finish this out with the direction I went, just to do it. After all it started as a 2x4 off cut of syp, not the best beginnings for this to start lol. I like trying things like this.

Comment

Man you need to son hardwood. crappy pine is way harder to cut like that. Where you at? I got lots of scraps you can practice on.

Comment

I PMd you back.

I have a bug bundle of hardwood cutoffs for you.

If anybody can help get these from Austin, Dripping Springs, or Llano to Katy let either myself or the OP know.

Circular saw isn't gonna "cut it" though, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                      X