Gas cooktop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas cooktop question

Is there a gas cooktop made that does not have an electric igniter? We wanted to change our electric cooktop out to gas. We were told that the new gas cooktops have electric igniter that won’t open gas valve if electricity goes out.
    So, I guess the purpose is defeated if we can’t get the valve open to light the burner.
    Another question. How/ where do y’all store your propane bottles. I’ve got em in my garage now on one end and gas on the other end.

Yea its called a Bic lighter

Comment

My stove is about 2 years old. The ignition is electric but the valve to let the gas out is manual knob on the cooktop use a lighter when the powers out. The oven has all electric valves so have to have power for it. Glad I had the gas cooktop during snow storm.

Comment

Mine is NG and has the elect spark lighter...But during the Big Freeze and no elec / I used my BIC on top burners and worked fine...never tried the oven though

Comment

Ok I was told there was something internal that wouldn’t allow the gas to flow despite being turned on manually. I got that. So question answered. That was all b s.
          Again, how do you store your bottles in a cabinet, outside, garage. Just don’t want my family walking out into a potential bomb situation.

Comment

Gas cooktop question

I have owned one before that did what you are saying but I'm guessing people got tired of that and they stopped putting that safety check in. Upgraded to a gas top in my new house last year and got a Whirlpool. Most all we looked at have knobs that turn the gas on to each individual burner and you press down for ignition. Used a match during the freeze and kept on cooking.

Got a huge propane tank installed outside. You can either go above ground or bury. That was the big ******* when we moved up here to Granbury - no underground gas service.

Last edited by TexaRican; 05-05-2021, 06:46 AM.

Comment

You might want to research getting a flammables locker for gasoline and such if you plan to keep it in the garage. I keep propane in a small shed separate from the house so it doesn't turn into the boom boom room.

Comment

Working...
              X