Feeder Timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Timers

We have all Boss Buck feeders and for the most part they have been great with the exception of some timer issues. (Whole batch of timers won’t work when set to the hour) let’s just say that was a nightmare until we figured it out. BB offered to replace all timers, however they work perfect when set at any other time than on the hour, so no big deal.

We did just recently start having 2 feeders that the batteries would drain at a crazy fast rate. Now all of our feeders are setup with usual 12v 7ah batteries with solar panels, however over the last few years we have updated them by adding an additional external 12v 20ah batteries in parallel to reduce the frequency of having to remove to recharge. First thing we did to combat the issue was changed timers, figuring it had to be bad timers draining them.....didn’t work. Next we disconnected solar panel....still didn’t work. All there is left to do is change the motors...? Any reason the motors could be causing these issues in anyone’s opinion? This is driving me nuts!!

One other thing, we changed the timers to Moultrie, simply because it’s what I could find....since going to Moultrie on these 2 feeders....they have all totally fried! Are Moultrie timers just junk or maybe can they just not handle the higher amperage we’re pushing??? Is that even a thing....it’s still 12V so it shouldn’t be an issue right?

One last thing, have you guys ever seen bad solar panels drain batteries or kill timers?

Help me here guys, I’m struggling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
    We have all Boss Buck feeders and for the most part they have been great with the exception of some timer issues. (Whole batch of timers won’t work when set to the hour) let’s just say that was a nightmare until we figured it out. BB offered to replace all timers, however they work perfect when set at any other time than on the hour, so no big deal.

We did just recently start having 2 feeders that the batteries would drain at a crazy fast rate. Now all of our feeders are setup with usual 12v 7ah batteries with solar panels, however over the last few years we have updated them by adding an additional external 12v 20ah batteries in parallel to reduce the frequency of having to remove to recharge. First thing we did to combat the issue was changed timers, figuring it had to be bad timers draining them.....didn’t work. Next we disconnected solar panel....still didn’t work. All there is left to do is change the motors...? Any reason the motors could be causing these issues in anyone’s opinion? This is driving me nuts!!

One other thing, we changed the timers to Moultrie, simply because it’s what I could find....since going to Moultrie on these 2 feeders....they have all totally fried! Are Moultrie timers just junk or maybe can they just not handle the higher amperage we’re pushing??? Is that even a thing....it’s still 12V so it shouldn’t be an issue right?

One last thing, have you guys ever seen bad solar panels drain batteries or kill timers?

Help me here guys, I’m struggling!!

Which boss buck feeder is it? Are these the feeder kit boxes and you put on a barrel or are these actual bb feeders? You tried the solar with and without- my first thought was no blocking diode in solar panel. What brand are they? Are you sure it's a 12 volt motor you are dealing with? They make some 6 volt motors and they look just like a 12v motor

Comment

Comment

I had similar issues. Try adding these between your solar panels and battery. Your timer still needs to hook directly to battery.

Also, are your panels getting plenty of sun. I have some spots where I just don't get enough sun this time of year. A bigger panel is probably the answer but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

What exactly will these do? Prevent the panels from draining the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
            What exactly will these do? Prevent the panels from draining the battery?

They don't allow power back out when the panel isn't charging.

Comment

They act like an electrical check valve.

Comment

Any of you ever see a “bad motor” kill batteries/timers?

One of the feeders in question I have the solar panel actually unplugged so that takes out of the equation....

Comment

Sometimes timers can send a very small push to the motor that you won't see, the only way to know is to use a multimeter and check leaving the timer when it is in standby. Your best bet is to just get a new "good" timer, the battery and timer are the culprit in 75% of feeder issues.

Comment

So the motor shouldn’t be my issue...? It either works or doesn’t correct? I just don’t know what else to do! This setup has in the last 6 months killed 2 batteries and 1 timer. Now with the same setup and solar panel unplugged it’s killed another timer! [emoji2371] What else can I do besides change the motor?

Comment

What does killing batteries mean, are they just discharged? Are you using a battery tester (not a VOM) to make sure they are fully charged before installing the batteries? Do the timers u are using work off AA batteries like most do? the timer should not have anything to do w the 12V battery, except energize a relay to send pwr to motor. I know you said solar panel is not connected, but have you ever checked it w a meter? make sure it is not a 6V panel trying to charge a 12V battery? maybe post some pics of your setup if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        What does killing batteries mean, are they just discharged? Are you using a battery tester (not a VOM) to make sure they are fully charged before installing the batteries? Do the timers u are using work off AA batteries like most do? the timer should not have anything to do w the 12V battery, except energize a relay to send pwr to motor. I know you said solar panel is not connected, but have you ever checked it w a meter? make sure it is not a 6V panel trying to charge a 12V battery? maybe post some pics of your setup if possible

The batteries, both the 7ah and 20ah are fully discharged within 2-3 weeks. No the timers work off of the 12V. The original timer which was the Boss Buck timer was what we figured the problem was, so we changed it to a Moultrie timer, it totally fried, put another Moultrie timer on it, and judging by the cell camera on it, the feeder is no longer throwing yet again. Volt meter shows the panel is toast, so we unplugged it due to not having the time/courage to change it during the Icepocalypse a few weeks back, so it couldn’t “backfeed” the juice out of the battery. Well the only thing original left on the feeder is the motor....have you ever seen a motor have issues that could drain batteries or fry timers???

Comment

Working...
                        X