Legal Question about Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Question about Theft

In my neighborhood, people are getting their Chevy rims and tires stolen quite often. My question is, if i get an alert on my camera and someone is stealing my rims and tires, what are my options? If i call the cops they will be long gone by the time they arrive. I thought about shooting their tires with a shotgun....just fear where the shot will ricochet too.

Is it at night? Light there *** up with buck shot. If you going to discharge a weapon it needs to be in the head chest area nowhere else. Just asking for a lawsuit. If you can't shoot the person then leave em be call the cops yell at them etc. But don't pull that trigger unless you intend to kill them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

aim small miss small

Comment

so does this fall into, they have to be in your domicile in order to Shoot?

Comment

Already made this a field day for a prosecutor

"he knew they were just there to steal his tires"

Do what you gotta but don't act surprised when you're on the wrong end of the law.

Comment

That's what insurance is for.

Comment

My LTC class instructor told us deadly force is justified if someone is stealing your property or fleeing with your stolen property.

Whether that's entirely true or not, it could be interpreted 1,000 different ways by a jury.

Not worth it for wheels....

Comment

Id rather not kill anyone.... thats why i was wondering about shooting the tires on their car...
                a new set of wheels can be expensive to watch them drive off with.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Is it at night? Light there *** up with buck shot. If you going to discharge a weapon it needs to be in the head chest area nowhere else. Just asking for a lawsuit. If you can't shoot the person then leave em be call the cops yell at them etc. But don't pull that trigger unless you intend to kill them.

Question 1.You think you are not getting sued either way?
                  Question 2. You think your legal legal fees are more or less if you shoot them and they do not die?

Both serious questions.

Comment

I do recall the LTC instructor, telling us, the same, thing,
                    legal yes, in court in front of bleeding heart jurors, not so

Comment

The wrong ricochet and you get to spend a couple decades in prison.... YOU are responsible for where the bullet stops. If it hits a neighbor in their bed, you are responsible for that bullet.

Comment

I hate a thief. Shooting their tires out is a bad idea you gave up your location if they are armed and i bet most are. I don’t think taking a life should be taken lightly if your life isn’t threatened call the police run them off. Now if you are in a very rural area and you own/have access to a backhoe and your wife can keep a secrete game on?

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                          Id rather not kill anyone.... thats why i was wondering about shooting the tires on their car...
                          a new set of wheels can be expensive to watch them drive off with.

My interpretation is you would be legally justified in using deadly force under certain conditions. But be aware there is language in there that could be very gray and could go either way. You would need to review the penal code for the specifics.

As to “shooting their tires out” I wouldn’t recommend that. IMO if you resort to deadly force it should be just that. I don’t think intentionally discharging a weapon at their tires would be legally justified use of deadly force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                            Question 1.You think you are not getting sued either way?

Question 2. You think your legal legal fees are more or less if you shoot them and they do not die?

Both serious questions.
                            Theft of property at night I have the legal ability to shoot them. And **** right they are getting shot trying to take my stuff. They don't want shot leave my stuff alone.

Long as the shoot is legal then not worried about a lawsuit. And at night taking my stuff. Pretty sure that is legal. Will have to post the laws when I get back to my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              My interpretation is you would be legally justified in using deadly force under certain conditions. But be aware there is language in there that could be very gray and could go either way. You would need to review the penal code for the specifics.

As to “shooting their tires out” I wouldn’t recommend that. IMO if you resort to deadly force it should be just that. I don’t think intentionally discharging a weapon at their tires would be legally justified use of deadly force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Exactly. Do not discharge a weapon unless you plan on killing then with it. All kinds of legal problems with that. I shoot them and it is legal. As I felt the need to use deadly force and my intent was to kill or stop that threat. By shooting around above into the car etc you just made the case that deadly force was not necessary yet you used it. Lawsuit you will lose every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X