Honda Pioneer 500 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I noticed you dispensed with the mesh above the door panels as well.

While Montana does not require a helmet, after a bad accident in 2015 and a concussion, plus seeing how a vacationer in a rental Kawasaki side by side was able to roll it on a flat road in the national forest (I drove by and rendered help) - I now wear my ‘brain bucket’ when I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I was going on a ride I would put them on, but 99.9 % of my use is work. They are in the way too much to leave them on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well my Pioneer let me down this past weekend. First time a Honda has ever let me down in 30 years of owning them. The bike went into what is basically know as " limp mode ".

It puts itself into 2nd gear and won't come out. Tried a bunch of different things off the net to try and figure out the problem and nothing worked.... so I pulled her in from the ranch and put her in the shop this morning.

Comment

What did the problem turn out to be?
        As I understand, it was stuck in 2nd gear? Would it start after turning it off?

Comment

Added a Warn winch and plow. “Playing” in the snow today with a foot on the ground.

Tightening the reverse lock-out cable to the under- dash mounted handle is the best trick I got on a Pioneer forum. Now I can change gears into reverse without reaching under the dash a thousand times.

Comment

Man you need front and rear windshields! I put 'em on mine (1000-5) for when it's "cold"... I put cold in quotations because here in SE Texas, what we call cold wouldn't fit your definition of cold!!

Comment

What did the problem turn out to be?
              As I understand, it was stuck in 2nd gear? Would it start after turning it off?

Sorry just seeing this, there was a bent piece in the tranny.. some type of " Y " that allows it to shift. The fun part was my mechanic had to completely remove the motor to get to the tranny. After 1k it's running great again but very disappointing.

Comment

How does this Honda machine compare to the smallest Kawasaki Mule?
                Planning on a bigger mule and hoping for a twofer deal. Retirement also!

Thanks.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Man you need front and rear windshields! I put 'em on mine (1000-5) for when it's "cold"... I put cold in quotations because here in SE Texas, what we call cold wouldn't fit your definition of cold!!

It was 15 today- cold but really dry so it’s not cutting to your bones.

I want a heater more than a windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    How does this Honda machine compare to the smallest Kawasaki Mule?

Planning on a bigger mule and hoping for a twofer deal. Retirement also!

Thanks.

BP

Not sure here.

The key point with the Pioneer 500 is the 50” wheel width and being able to ride/ transportation to hunt on the width restricted trails like a quad. We hunt National Forests and BLM with trail restrictions.

Comment

FYI
                      Here is a small mule specs:

LENGTH (FT) 8.89
                      WIDTH (IN/MM) 52.6 / 1336
                      HEIGHT (IN/MM) 75 / 1905
                      WHEELBASE (IN/MM) 70.1 / 1780.5
                      TURNING RADIUS (FT) 11.8
                      GROUND CLEARANCE (IN/MM) 8.1 / 205.7

This will be for around the house. (Mommas)
                      Buying a bigger one for ranch work.

Comment

For ranch use it should be really good.

For me hunting public land and > 50” width, not good.

Comment

Reviving and old thread. I’ve gotten 2 hunting seasons, a bunch of fun riding and plowed our driveway with it (it is Montana!).

After turning around on a November hunt fearing frostbite and hypothermia ( I knew leaving the trailer at 5F and going into the mountains was just plain crazy) I’m enclosing the cab.

New EMP glass windshield, metal roof installed. I bought soft doors from a fellow across Montana on Craigslist and await the box. One and a half inch wheel spacers in the mail to give it a little more stability but I don’t race it.

I’m trying to figure out either a front spare tire mount, or maybe mount on the side of the Dusty Dawgs rack on the back. I was on a search and rescue mission last fall in a guy’s Talon that got a sidewall puncture and no spare. Rob just drove it out on the rim- I’d rather have a jack and spare.

Anybody else lovin’ their P5?

Comment

Looking good Bill! What width did the spacers put you at?

Comment

And how do you like that EMP windshield?

Comment

Reviving and old thread. I’ve gotten 2 hunting seasons, a bunch of fun riding and plowed our driveway with it (it is Montana!).

After turning around on a November hunt fearing frostbite and hypothermia ( I knew leaving the trailer at 5F and going into the mountains was just plain crazy) I’m enclosing the cab.

New EMP glass windshield, metal roof installed. I bought soft doors from a fellow across Montana on Craigslist and await the box. One and a half inch wheel spacers in the mail to give it a little more stability but I don’t race it.

I’m trying to figure out either a front spare tire mount, or maybe mount on the side of the Dusty Dawgs rack on the back. I was on a search and rescue mission last fall in a guy’s Talon that got a sidewall puncture and no spare. Rob just drove it out on the rim- I’d rather have a jack and spare.

Anybody else lovin’ their P5?

And how do you like that EMP windshield?

Comment

Working...
                                X