Academy wait line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
    A farmer sells steers to locals every year to slaughter for $600. This year, steers like his are bringing $1200 at the sale barn. The sale barn has bidders from all over the country that are willing to pay today's market price of $1200, or maybe even more because no one likes to lose an auction they start bidding on. Are you saying you expect Mr farmer to continue to sell his steers at $600 when the sale barn is across the street from his house?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    That’s not quite how it’s working, more like a handful of guys are going around, buying all the farmers steers for $600, then marking them up to $1200.

Comment

Ok, but the ammo was available for purchase at 65.00 per box. What if they charged 19.99, but the shelf was empty. Maybe if academy would triple their prices the lines would go away and ammo would be on the shelf.

Comment

Everybody wants market value not what previous price was. If they can sell dove load for $17 a box get it

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          That’s not quite how it’s working, more like a handful of guys are going around, buying all the farmers steers for $600, then marking them up to $1200.
          So Academy should raise their prices to $65 a box?

Comment

So Academy should raise their prices to $65 a box?
            Why would they? Once the dust settles, and people get over it, it will return to normal, maybe 6-8 months.

Comment

Why would they? Once the dust settles, and people get over it, it will return to normal, maybe 6-8 months.
              Why would they... because they are in business to make money. Any retail business model should include selling items at or slightly below market price, right?

Comment

Here is the last steer that went through the ring at the sale barn about 5 minutes ago...

Comment

Here is the last steer that went through the ring at the sale barn about 5 minutes ago...

And what’s your point? There’s a sucker born every minute.....

And the reason Academy can’t gouge prices, is because it is against the law.

Comment

I started panic buying in 08-12...will never buy another box of ammo again, as my dad recently passed and I ended up with all that he bought.

Comment

That’s some expensive beef right there.

Micheal

Comment

And what’s your point? There’s a sucker born every minute.....
                        That's exactly my point. Can't blame the people selling it for setting the market. Buyers set the market.

And selling at market price is not really gouging is it?

Comment

That's exactly my point. Can't blame the people selling it for setting the market. Buyers set the market.

And selling at market price is not really gouging is it?
                          It’s not market price. It’s not costing Academy anymore than it did 6 months ago. People have lost their minds, you would think they would have learned their lesson after the last 3-4 “ammo scares”. But I think it only makes it worse.

Comment

Why would they... because they are in business to make money. Any retail business model should include selling items at or slightly below market price, right?
                            Not exactly. The goal is to maximize profits in the short AND long run. Cheaper than dirt tried selling at “market prices” and a large portion of their customer base said they’re never buying from them again.

What good is doubling your profit today if it means you won’t be making any money next year?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                              Not exactly. The goal is to maximize profits in the short AND long run. Cheaper than dirt tried selling at “market prices” and a large portion of their customer base said they’re never buying from them again.

What good is doubling your profit today if it means you won’t be making any money next year?
                              CTD took it to the extreme. They were listing things at double or triple (remembering that $99 30rd pmag) what things were going for on the auction sites. They actually drove some of the panic. That is different than what we are dealing with today.

If I were Academy, I would put about 25% on the shelf and the other 75% would be listed on the auction site.

I don't like the situation we are in, I just understand it and it's going to be a long ride I'm afraid.

Comment

That sucks, you can’t even buy a box of .357 or 9mm to go to the range and pop off a few rounds. These Jack wagons think they need 1,000 of rounds. I usually like to pick up 4 or 5 box’s of shotgun shells for the following years duck and some for dove. This year nothing shelves are bare.

Comment

Working...
                                X