Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Ag 89
Four Point
 
Ag 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SETX
Hunt In: Segovia, Menard
Default Question about National Guard

I have not watched national news for several months. However, last night I was watching local news and they were covering the National Guard "protecting" the Capital. I noticed that not a single soldier they showed had a magazine in his rifle. Is this SOP to guard something with an unloaded rifle?
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Blows my mind! How stupid
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
Pokey
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lockhart,Texas
Hunt In: Mexico,Caldwell Co.
Default

An unloaded Rifle is just an awkward club!
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young
 
Pushbutton2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Van,TX
Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag 89 View Post
I have not watched national news for several months. However, last night I was watching local news and they were covering the National Guard "protecting" the Capital. I noticed that not a single soldier they showed had a magazine in his rifle. Is this SOP to guard something with an unloaded rifle?
It wasn't when I was an active duty Marine. We even had a round chambered.

I believe it's all part of the Democrat narrative for gun confiscations

Oh we don't FEEL safe look what extreme measures WE HAVE to take to FEEL safe.
The ONLY way we'll safe is to outlaw all the guns and do away with the 2nd Amendment..

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 03-05-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

If I was protecting Biden I'd forget to put the magazine in mine too.

At the first sign of trouble I'd drop my rifle and point my finger at the threat. Pew,pew,bang,bang,bang,pow,pow!!!

Last edited by okrattler; 03-05-2021 at 08:04 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
camoclad
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: fort worth
Hunt In: central tx
Default

Might have something to do with the military not being able to take up arms against its citizenry in the constitution.
camoclad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
Charles
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

I heard a blip that the NG are having to sleep on concrete in parking garages and feed raw or under cooked meat. Several Guards became sick.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young
 
Outlaw_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW Area
Hunt In: LA and "The H"
Default Question about National Guard

Retired Guard here. Doesn’t surprise me for second.

Trust me, they are far more likely to have a negligent discharge in this situation than to have to engage “a threat”. No general is wanting to have to explain some round going off and bouncing off the capitol building.

They probably do carry a magazine or few in their pockets.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
friscopaint
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Collinsville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
It wasn't when I was an active duty Marine. We even had a round chambered.

I believe it's all part of the Democrat narrative for gun confiscations

Oh we don't FEEL safe look what extreme measures WE HAVE to take to FEEL safe.
The ONLY way we'll safe is to outlaw all the guns and do away with the 2nd Amendment..
Wasn't the case in Beirut. Marine mag wells empty...lesson learned, what I heard while in those years.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
friscopaint
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Collinsville
Default

Maybe 30 rd mags are illegal in DC
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
tvc184
Pope & Young
 
tvc184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Golden Triangle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
Might have something to do with the military not being able to take up arms against its citizenry in the constitution.
I don’t think there is such a section in the Constitution.

Even the Posse Comitatus Act which forbids the Army and Air Force to enforce civilian laws, doesn’t cover the NG unless they are activated. That is from law, ot the Constitution.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
Ag 89
Four Point
 
Ag 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SETX
Hunt In: Segovia, Menard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
Retired Guard here. Doesn’t surprise me for second.

Trust me, they are far more likely to have a negligent discharge in this situation than to have to engage “a threat”. No general is wanting to have to explain some round going off and bouncing off the capitol building.

They probably do carry a magazine or few in their pockets.
Kind of what I figured. Not a real threat. There for show (politics) to scare people. Have bullets close by in case they were wrong. Just feel bad for the soldiers that have to stand there with an unloaded weapon. Knowing that if it really hits the fan, they are going to be too slow and not really prepared.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #13
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young
 
Pushbutton2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Van,TX
Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Wasn't the case in Beirut. Marine mag wells empty...lesson learned, what I heard while in those years.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #14
txchuck
Six Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas & Central La.
Default

didnt want any antifa members shot
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #15
LFD2037
Pope & Young
 
LFD2037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Over yonder
Default

My understanding is there’s different “levels” of protection, or guard, they provide.
Level 1 full mag, locked and loaded
Level 2 no mags/ammo in weapon
Level 3 no mags/ammo on person
Level 4 no weapons
I don’t remember what they’re called so I just called it levels. They may be colors (green, orange, red, whatever) or something along these lines.

This could be all wrong but I read it somewhere when all this started going down.

Last edited by LFD2037; 03-05-2021 at 10:33 PM.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 03:47 AM   #16
sailor
Pope & Young
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Texas
Default

I would say, it was to avoid any mishaps.............
Nothing negative against the Guard....
But many of them, don't handle a weapon, on a daily basis.........

And there are two things, you can't take back.............
"A round out of your chamber"
And "words from your mouth"...........
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com