Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #101
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Update on Wyoming NR bill, it failed in committee.
However, Sy made it clear the outfitters association wants $1400 regular elk tags and $2000 in the special draw. Remember that when you are looking for a Wyoming elk hunt.
Would love to hear their reasoning on why. Outfitters are extremely expensive in Wyoming as it is. Iím still building points.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #102
Etxnoodler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Something to think about, if Texas were to allocate let's say 95% of drawn tags to residents like some of you are thinking then it would guarantee 5% of tags go to nonresidents. I'm not sure that's what we want as I doubt there's any NR's who put in for a lot of these hunts and with the way the odds work I'm not sure we want to guarantee any tags go to NR's.
This. Yíall want to be careful how you word it. Or they will say 90% residents 10% nonresidents guaranteeing them tags. Should be something like no more than 5% of tags can go to nonresidents. And none can be drawn if there are fewer that x numbers of tags. Or must buy license to apply.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #103
SC-001
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
$100 a month for next 30-40 years. Something ridiculous like that if I remember correctly.
Thats about what Mr. 278 paid, not sure they put him on that generous of a payment plan
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #104
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
I think you are going to have to start buying the $264 non res hunting license as well, or is that refunded to you if unsuccessful?

If so Iím out of Idaho going forward. I hunt Idaho about every three years on OTC archery elk and deer.

Epic does my applications, Iíll call this morning and ask
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #105
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Would love to hear their reasoning on why. Outfitters are extremely expensive in Wyoming as it is. I’m still building points.
Increase draw odds for clients and lower point creep. Essentially pricing a % NR DIY guy out

It’s like the outfitter pool in NM.

Last edited by Texans42; 03-05-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #106
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Quote:
Would love to hear their reasoning on why. Outfitters are extremely expensive in Wyoming as it is. Iím still building points.
Our outfitters ***. would love to have all NR have to use an outfitter. They are behind the wilderness guide law for NR in Wyoming also.

The bill got kicked back to the Wildlife Task Force which will tweak it and propose something later, maybe this year but probably next session. That group is not going to be very friendly to NR I fear , outfitters have a strong voice in Wyoming, fading a bit though. Residents have been stepping up to get their voiced heard over the outfitters.
As residents lots of us have family or friends that like to come up and hunt Wyoming, not many want the higher prices or very limited tags for NR, more LQ tags for residents is our main push.

Just remember you all pushing for less NR draws also, other states look at that and you may be responsible for getting your NR tags reduced in some states as reciprocity.

Like I stated, now NR get 20-25% of our quota, that includes sheep and moose. Does Texas really give that many NR the tags in your draw?
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #107
7HF
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Refugio, Victoria, Concho

Quote:
Just remember you all pushing for less NR draws also, other states look at that and you may be responsible for getting your NR tags reduced in some states as reciprocity.

Like I stated, now NR get 20-25% of our quota, that includes sheep and moose. Does Texas really give that many NR the tags in your draw?
That's the problem. There currently is no reciprocity in Texas to the western states that limit tags. I would prefer it more open on all sides, but since that's a pipe dream we should limit tags by some degree for now.
7HF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #108
RobinBradbery
Ten Point

My survey suggestions.

Non-residents should have to pay more. Even if it is just a higher application fee. $10 instead of $3. Not eligible for premium hunts at all.

Increase standby opportunities. All hunts should allow standbys. If the biologist has determined the amount of animals that need to be harvested and the number of permits is based on that, why in the world would standbys not be available to fill the needed positions? Because it takes personnel to accommodate the standby hunters? Isn't that what they are paid for? To manage the habitat? Maybe allow non-department personnel to take on-line training and get certified to help conduct the hunts. Charge them for the training and "pay" them with a loyalty point in that category. What would it cost TPWD except for setting up the training which would be reimbursed by the applicants.

Increase non-deer draw hunts. Feral hogs are destroying the state yet the number of hog hunts has barely changed. In 2010/2011 9 areas had public hog hunts. This year 11 areas do.

Alligator populations are expanding but hunts are not. I'm not sure what effect the freeze had if any.

Allow for the purchase of a loyalty point instead of drawing.
RobinBradbery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #109
JustinP
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri, Africa

when is the application period for the '21-'22 hunting season. I thought it started in March
JustinP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #110
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Our outfitters ***. would love to have all NR have to use an outfitter. They are behind the wilderness guide law for NR in Wyoming also.

The bill got kicked back to the Wildlife Task Force which will tweak it and propose something later, maybe this year but probably next session. That group is not going to be very friendly to NR I fear , outfitters have a strong voice in Wyoming, fading a bit though. Residents have been stepping up to get their voiced heard over the outfitters.
As residents lots of us have family or friends that like to come up and hunt Wyoming, not many want the higher prices or very limited tags for NR, more LQ tags for residents is our main push.

Non resident has the EXACT SAME chance to draw ANY tag in Texas as any resident. And extremely cheap I might add.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:07 PM   #111
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Non resident has the EXACT SAME chance to draw ANY tag in Texas as any resident. And extremely cheap I might add.
But, 20% of tags in Wyoming go to NR guaranteed. Yall think 20% of Texas draws are going to NR's? I'd bet it's more like 1% simply because they just don't apply.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #112
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
But, 20% of tags in Wyoming go to NR guaranteed. Yall think 20% of Texas draws are going to NR's? I'd bet it's more like 1% simply because they just don't apply.
But they arenít restricted. No cap like we have in other states. None. Zero.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:43 AM   #113
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
But they arenít restricted. No cap like we have in other states. None. Zero.
Why would you cap something that doesn't have any demand? If you follow Wyoming example you'd cap the Texas NR draw at 20%, something that's maybe getting 1% NR draw naturally without a cap. Wyoming guarantees 20% of the tags to go to NR's, that's definitely not something we wanna do with Texas.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:55 AM   #114
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why would you cap something that doesn't have any demand? If you follow Wyoming example you'd cap the Texas NR draw at 20%, something that's maybe getting 1% NR draw naturally without a cap. Wyoming guarantees 20% of the tags to go to NR's, that's definitely not something we wanna do with Texas.
I understand. My point was that we do not limit them. We donít restrict how many can draw like they do us. Thatís all. Iím not in support of a certain percent only going to NRs. Not at all what I was saying. I guess yíall missed my point.

Not like any of us draw the **** tags either
Old 03-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #115
justletmein
Pope & Young

I may have been guilty of DWT, drinking while TBHing.
Quote:

Not like any of us draw the **** tags either
Lol that's the truth!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #116
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
I may have been guilty of DWT, drinking while TBHing.

Lol that's the truth!

Thereís lots of drunk posting that happens here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top