Polaris Ranger help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris Ranger help

I have a 2019 Polaris ranger xp900. About a week ago I started having the following issue.
    First thing in the morning it is heck to start. Runs rough and dies several times until it warms up. After it’s warm it runs great and you can kill it and it restarts without a problem. Let it sit a couple of hours and it does it again.
    If it ran rough or had trouble starting all the time I think it would be easier to diagnose, bad gas, fuel pump etc but it had me stumped. Went ahead and replaced spark plugs but they didn’t look bad. Have cleaned the air filter.
    Any suggestions??

Needs a valve adjustment

Comment

Sell it and buy something different.

Comment

Would value adjustment just start overnight? Was running fine one day then this ?

Comment

Almost sounds like a pinhole air leak in the fuel line.

Comment

I had a 2014 900xp and put many miles on it. Only major issue I had was a fuel pump that gave similar issues to what yours is doing. It’s not a cheap fix but an easy one if that’s what it is.

Comment

My ‘17 1000 did that for a while. I had been running no ethanol gas for a couple years. It would run fine after it started. The no ethanol pump was blocked one day and I put regular gas back in it. The second time I ran it after that it started like a new one and never had any issues again.

Comment

Originally posted by gmj View Post
                Would value adjustment just start overnight? Was running fine one day then this ?
                No, that usually gets worse over time but sounds just like valves out of adjustment. I'd try all the simple maintenance items first and check your intake piping and your fuel lines. Could be bad fuel too.

Comment

I’m hoping it’s bad gas. Going to drain it today and add fresh.

Comment

You might try draining the gas tank and put fresh new fuel in it. We had a similar issue with a CanAm and changing to fresh fuel solved the problem. This was done at the dealer. We took it In because it would not start in cold weather.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey, I have owned 6 of them over the years, with no trouble. My current 900 had a hard to start problem a year ago. It would turn over but not crank until you did it a couple of times. When I added a fresh 5 gallons of gas (premium), it started just fine. I would try the gas first.

Comment

Run the crap out of it and blow it out. Add new fuel and hopefully it's fixed.

Comment

I had a 2017 900 and the head warped on it. Had it fixed and sold it. Now no more problems with it.

The mechanic told me that Polaris had a problem with the heads warping. That wasn't a selling point when I bought the $14,000 machine.

Comment

I add Lucas High Octane boost to mine and it helps tremendously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                              I had a 2017 900 and the head warped on it. Had it fixed and sold it. Now no more problems with it.

The mechanic told me that Polaris had a problem with the heads warping. That wasn't a selling point when I bought the $14,000 machine.
                              Not sure I buy that. You can’t even find a “warped head” issue on a search engine for Polaris.

Op, if the drain/fill with clean fuel doesn’t do the trick, look into the fuel pump. You can get them for $150-200 and it’s an easy install.

Comment

Working...
                              X