No announcement yet.

Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in education and I don't want to raise my property taxes so teachers can get a raise. The way the state funds education is the issue. Reduce, and cap, property taxes and increase sales tax and other consumer-type taxes. And give teachers a raise.

Comment

Im for teacher raises. I am not for an increase in property tax rate. The appraised value on my home has increased nearly 100% since I bought it 6 years ago and I cant even fight it because the recent comps are all still over the appraised rate. Therefore the amount of taxes I pay on my property has nearly doubled in that same span of time and it didnt even required a tax rate increase. Just keep the economy booming and property taxes will continue to increase to allow for the teacher pay raises as property values continue to rise.

Comment

Legalize it.. Give teachers a raise

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          I’d pay more if I knew it was going to teachers pay raises. I have paid more taxes every year but don’t think teachers have gotten any raises
          This.

Comment

No. Property taxes are already too high.

Comment

Our taxes are essentially going up 10% a year annually and have been with this ballooned market. Moreover our property taxes have increased 50% since 2015. If this is to continue moving forward, pay them!

Comment

No.

Shoot or fire just half of the useless administrators, and then we can consider a prop tax increase after that.

In twenty years, school as we know it will be a dinosaur.
                Hell, it already is...

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Ignorant. You have no idea what you are talking about and it shows.
                  Hmm....I think I got this impression on another topic before. gulf...hurricanes...sniffing?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                    Are we talking about "m's" or "k's" ?

On a semi-serious note: Where do education vouchers fit into this question. What about privatizing the whole education system?

My wife and i were able to send our kids to small private schools that we were very satisfied with. And, i feel the expense and sacrifices were well worth it. We'd do it again. Our kids never spent a minute in a public school class room. We've paid for the education of more than a few kids over the years. Can i get a refund?

I can't operate the internet well enough to find out how many taxpayers there are in the state, and how many public school teachers there are. I'd like to see some simple math that would show what amount of additional tax dollars we're talking about. Are we talking about $500 additional per tax payer per year? $42 / month? More? Less? What numbers are we talking about.
                    There are roughly 350,000 class room teachers which if all get 5k would equal 1.75 billion towards teachers salary's.

Rwc
                    Last edited by Rwc; 04-04-2019, 01:15 PM. Reason: Time

Comment

Legalize gambling and use the money only for education. The only way we are ever going to get gambling legalized is to put it on a state wide referendum and let the voters decide not the politicians. There is so much money being payed out to keep it out of the state right now.

Comment

They should get their raises due to admin cuts, not tax increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          I am in favor of pay raises for teachers, although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.
                          Just re-read your OP. I agree 100%. I want to add one thought. This country is, for the time being, not a centrally planned economy (some out there want to change that). I have a BS in biology and I own investment real estate. My wife went to UH on swim scholarship and has a degree in nutrition. She is the general business manager for a veterinary radiology company.

Plans change. Careers change. Quit whining already.

I'm NOT in favor of pay raises for teachers.

Comment

Yes to raising my property taxes. I'm biased because I have 8 teachers in my extended family.

Comment

No I pay a ton in property taxes now.. how about some budget cuts. Stop having 7 people lean on a shovel while one digs. Or get rid of the cop hired to only write tickets.. there are many instances of bloated county government that can be cut to pay more.. hell I bring 10 times more supplies than my kid can use per the list and they ask for more half way through the year. How about a tuition based program as long as your kid is in school and then you are done.. I'd be on board with that and no freebies you have kids pay for them .

Comment

Yes.

I will support any reasonable measure that advances education. A well educated society is a powerful thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X