New Truck Question 7.3 gas ford or 6.7 cummins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Truck Question 7.3 gas ford or 6.7 cummins

I will be in the market for a new truck before long. My 2012 Cummins is getting quite a few miles on it. My heavier loads are 6,000 to 7,500 lbs pulled once a week at most and not for a far distance ( 30 miles round trip). Once a month I might pull this load an hour from the house (100 miles round trip). If the vehicle prices were pretty much the same for a Ram 2500 Tradesman with a 6.7 vs a Ford F250 with the 7.3 gas, which one would you choose?

Just a little background. I don't trade trucks frequently as mine is almost 9 years old. I've had extremely good luck with my cummins. At 167,000 miles I've probably only got $2,500 to $3,000 in repairs since new. All the emission stuff really worries me on the new diesels. My goal is to get atleast 175,000 out of my trucks with minimal repair cost. I'm not one to pay a $10,000 repair bill on injectors, turbos, etc. I will sell the truck before I go through that. It's very appealing to be able to get back in a gas engine for simplicity and longevity reasons.

Between the 2 choices what is the census??

Thanks ahead of time.

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
    I will be in the market for a new truck before long. My 2012 Cummins is getting quite a few miles on it. My heavier loads are 6,000 to 7,500 lbs pulled once a week at most and not for a far distance ( 30 miles round trip). Once a month I might pull this load an hour from the house (100 miles round trip). If the vehicle prices were pretty much the same for a Ram 2500 Tradesman with a 6.7 vs a Ford F250 with the 7.3 gas, which one would you choose?

Just a little background. I don't trade trucks frequently as mine is almost 9 years old. I've had extremely good luck with my cummins. At 167,000 miles I've probably only got $2,500 to $3,000 in repairs since new. All the emission stuff really worries me on the new diesels. My goal is to get atleast 175,000 out of my trucks with minimal repair cost. I'm not one to pay a $10,000 repair bill on injectors, turbos, etc. I will sell the truck before I go through that. It's very appealing to be able to get back in a gas engine for simplicity and longevity reasons.

Thanks ahead of time.
    I bought a 2004 dodge 3/4-ton new with a 5.7L HEMI. Drove the hell out of it for 8 years & 4 months and put 309,000 miles on it. Spent less than $2K on non-routine repairs in all that time. I've also had one diesel before and one since, and I haul about as much, and similar loads, as you describe. Gas all the way. I'm in a '16 Dodge now with a 6.4L HEMI and am as happy as a pig in...

And I have a client who has the 7.3 Ford gasser. He loves it, and hauls more than you and I combined.

Comment

after being in a dodge for work i would buy the ford no matter what. those dodges ride like crap. I went back to gas and have been pleased. like you said, less issues to worry about and honestly with all the emissions on diesels they dont get the mileage they used to. Ive told this story multiple times on similar threads but on our last side by side trip to new mexico my gasser and my friends diesel with basically identical loads etc got the same mileage hauling gear, trailer and sxs. IMO 80% of people with diesels now days dont need them. i grew up on a ranch and have always had diesels due to that but when i started driving you couldnt get someone to touch a diesel because i was redneck and now everyone thinks they need one if their truck downshifts when hauling a lawn mower to the shop

Comment

I have the new 7.3 For gasoline engine (Godzilla). I changed over from the 6.7 L Ford diesel and can't say I materially miss anything about the diesel. The gas mileage is about 14 mpg (mixed highway, town and ranch). I have hooked up to several 8-9K lb loads with no concerns about power or overall towing issues.

Comment

Do the gas F250s experience the death wobble.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post

Thanks ahead of time.
            If it prices close, I am choosing the diesel.
            I have driven diesels since the early 90s. My next truck will be a gas because usually there is a 10k difference in price.

Comment

For what you described, definitely get the Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
                Do the gas F250s experience the death wobble.
                Luckily, I have not experienced the DW in either truck (gas or diesel), but I also didn't put on a leveling kit, lift or excessively larger tires. I did put on 35x11.5x20, so there was some upgrade on both trucks.

One item of note.... F250 and F350 Super Duty trucks (gas and diesel) are kinda hard to come by right now. Some dealers have a few, but they aren't stacked real deep. You might have to search a pretty good radius depending on exactly what you are looking for. Used trucks are selling for a pretty penny as well. I was really surprised at the demand and pricing for both new and used vehicles. Good look and let us know what you get......
                Last edited by STGS; 03-31-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I have a 2020 F350 FX4 long bed C/C with the 7.3 gasser and the new 10 speed tranny and 3.73 gears. Love the truck, it will pull what you need pulled and will haul butt when needed. Huge 48 gallon tank and that is nice on trips.

Comment

Cummins

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

DW got me this weekend. F250 2020 7k miles. Diesel.

Comment

I have a Dodge 5.9 Cummins with 303,300 miles. I think you have more in your current truck than where you are at 175000..... Of course, it is always nice to get a NEW ride!

Comment

I changed from the 6.7 F250 to the 7.3 F250 and love it. Gas mileage isn’t horrible although still cost around $70 to fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only 3500 miles on a 2021 7.3 but it's a beast. 25ft camper or a 22' center console. I will ride in 7th with the camper and 9 with the boat but it still let's me pass people on the highway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get the 7.3 in the Tremor package!

Comment

Working...
                              X