Another “What Suppressor” Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another “What Suppressor” Thread

I know there are already a million suppressor threads already out there, but I can’t find one that really lines up to my exact needs and wants.

I already have a form 1 .30 cal can that I built and had re-cored as soon as I turned 18. It’s worked pretty well for me the last few years, but at 9.5”, it’s way too dang long. Looking back, I wish I would’ve just had my dad buy a commercial can on a trust that I could use, but the short waits for e-file form 1 got the best of me.

With that being said, I’m now looking to buy a new suppressor that will better fit my needs. It will primarily stay on a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel SBR that’s mainly used for pig hunting, but will see use on some other AR’s and some of my bolt guns as well. Short and Lightweight are the biggest factors I’m looking for as it will be in and out of a pickup quite a bit and also carried around fields quite a bit. Sound is definitely a factor as well, but far from my primary concern.

From my research and talking to a few guys, the main ones I’m looking at are the Q Trash Panda or Jumbo Shrimp, Deadair Nomad Ti, and the Thunder Beast Ultra 5/7.

What is everyone’s thoughts on the best option here, or am I missing any better suppressors out there?

Thanks for all the help,
    Kanyon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raider4044; 03-31-2021, 09:56 AM.

Short and quiet kinda don’t go hand in hand imo.

There are tons of k cans out there which are short and light but not as quiet.

I’d say look at something that’s titanium that will be the lightest but most expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      Short and quiet kinda don’t go hand in hand imo.

There are tons of k cans out there which are short and light but not as quiet.

I’d say look at something that’s titanium that will be the lightest but most expensive...

I definitely understand that. Like I said, Short and Lightweight are the biggest factor. As long as it will knock down the sound a decent amount compared to a bare rifle, I’ll be happy.

Comment

The rugged obsidian line is multi-caliber and multi-length. I have one and use it in both the short and long configuration. While I like the short version on my pistols, I find that I use the longer setup regularly as it is quieter. There's no difference in the RO 9 and 45. Just a different end cap. It is pretty easy to disassemble and clean so I use it on my .22s as well.

The Obsidian9™ modular 9mm suppressor provides pistol suppression and utilizes our ADAPT technology which offers the versatility of 2 suppressors in one.

Edit: unsure 6.5 grendel on the rugged... I'll check.

Edit 2: can't find data on the 6.5. I'll keep looking but make sure to check out the YHM N20. Also a short/long supressor. I have the Resonator R2 and it is among the quietest (and cheapest) on the market in .30 cal.
        Last edited by ken800; 03-31-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Next one I buy will be a multi caliber up to a 45-70 or 338 lapua rating and down.

That way it will cover everyhting i cant do now.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            Next one I buy will be a multi caliber up to a 45-70 or 338 lapua rating and down.

That way it will cover everyhting i cant do now.

I’ve considered that, but it seems like the multi-cal/hybrid cans are always sacrificing something. This definitely won’t be my last suppressor, so I think I’ll be a lot happier buying multiple cans that fit each individual niche that I need it for. Guess I see it the same way as only owning one gun and using the same one that you Moose hunt with for varmint hunting. It’ll work, but it’s not ideal.

Comment

I love my Nomad L.

And yes your quietest cans will not be your shortest. When shooting, to animals or the human ear I have not noticed much difference between my Omega and Nomad L

Comment

The Jumbo Shrimp is built for 6.5 hunting. Its hearing safe, and small/lightweight as it can be and still be hearing safe. It is what it is, if I had a 6.5 that I wanted to suppress I'd get a a Q Jumbo Shrimp and be done. They are actually in stock at silencer shop now.

I dont have a 6.5, and could only use it on .223/.556, and 25/06, and its not a great .223/.556 can (but is wasn't designed/engineered for that), so I've been looking for another thunder chicken or .30 cal Q can while the NFA wait times are down but cant find any in stock.

Buy the Jumbo shrimp and you wont regret it.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I’d get the dead air sandman s.

Comment

Omega 300 is lighter and quieter than the Sandman or Nomad in my opinion.
                    I have the Omega and the Sandman. Prefer the Omega.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                      Omega 300 is lighter and quieter than the Sandman or Nomad in my opinion.
                      I have the Omega and the Sandman. Prefer the Omega.
                      Interesting. I have an Omega and I think based on testing I have seen its not as quiet as my Nomad L

The sandman was on my list when I was researching. But their longest/quietest Sandman can only

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        Interesting. I have an Omega and I think based on testing I have seen its not as quiet as my Nomad L

The sandman was on my list when I was researching. But their longest/quietest Sandman can only
                        I have the Sandman S not the L. My new Omega definitely seems quieter than the Sandman S. Can’t speak to the longer dead air cans.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                          I have the Sandman S not the L. My new Omega definitely seems quieter than the Sandman S. Can’t speak to the longer dead air cans.
                          The Omega is definitely quieter than the Sandman S. The S wasn’t designed to be a quiet can by any means. While they’re relatively the same length the Omega has more internal volume which helps suppression. The Sandman S is a ultra stout can to take any abuse you can throw at while remaining short and hearing safe.

Comment

I have the Thunderbeast Ultra 7 and Thunderbeast Dominus. I shoot the Ultra 7 on everything from 6.5 PRC bolt gun, down to short barreled 300 BLK. I primarily shoot the Dominus on a bolt 223. They both sound incredible and I really appreciate the light weight of both of these cans. I have a Surefire 7.62 mini along with a few Silencerco Sakers as well. I have those on rifles for other people to carry when they hunt with me, and I stick with the lightweight cans! POI shift is practically non-existent, but they are expensive...

Comment

Working...
                            X