Buying New Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying New Truck

I am in the mode to buy a new half ton. Considering a Tundra or a F150 with the 3.5. Last new vehicle we bought was in 2014. Before I was always able to go to Edmunds or KBB and put together the vehicle with the options I wanted and come up with the MSRP, invoice price, dealer hold backs, etc. so at least in my mind I could determine if I was getting a good deal. I have not been able to located those resources so far. We are Sams Club members and tried their True Car service. All it does is take your information and send it to every swinging richard in a 100 mile radius and get you phone blown up with emails and text.

Looking for suggestions. Having the patience to deal with the floor sales staff at a dealership is not in my DNA. Would prefer to cut to the chase and deal directly with the decision makers.

You never get a good deal on a new vehicle. It's basically lubed or un-lubed. At least you get to decide!

Comment

Take your time and go through the process. The guys that cave in quickly tend to overpay. I used to think that I couldn't get a good deal out of a Toyota dealer, but did manage to put one together on the wife's new Tacoma a couple of years ago. It took two or three days though. I think maybe my early morning hours internet shopping on their website got the best of them. Believe it or not, they have a rotation of who gets up in the middle of the night to make themselves available for on-line chat and question answering. I let them know on my first visit to the dealership that my early rising habits could wreak havoc on their sleep patterns. While the fellow that I worked with claimed that it didn't bother him, I could sense that deep down inside he felt like I was an a-hole that needed to go away. I did, right after I got the deal that I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        You never get a good deal on a new vehicle. It's basically lubed or un-lubed. At least you get to decide!

8300 off sticker and 18k on trade in of a 14’ tundra with 189,800 miles and a knocking lifter ain’t too bad when I bought my 20’ tundra last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just play hard ball and don’t settle. If they want to sell a truck they will. I have a 20 tundra. Had a 15 before it. They are beasts. If you drive with a soft foot you can get 18-19 on highway with the 5.7 and 4x4. Tow like crazy too.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            8300 off sticker and 18k on trade in of a 14’ tundra with 189,800 miles and a knocking lifter ain’t too bad when I bought my 20’ tundra last year.

It's your story....tell it how you want! As long as you were happy

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              Just play hard ball and don’t settle. If they want to sell a truck they will. I have a 20 tundra. Had a 15 before it. They are beasts. If you drive with a soft foot you can get 18-19 on highway with the 5.7 and 4x4. Tow like crazy too.

I can do that! Looked at a Tundra in Conroe. Their first offer was the list minus the current advertised promotion. After I promptly walked out I got a better offer. The sales guy texted me and asked if they had initially made the second offer would I have walked. Probably not but the second offer was not IMO the end game. I don't have much patience to DA's that waste my time.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                I am in the mode to buy a new half ton. Considering a Tundra or a F150 with the 3.5. Last new vehicle we bought was in 2014. Before I was always able to go to Edmunds or KBB and put together the vehicle with the options I wanted and come up with the MSRP, invoice price, dealer hold backs, etc. so at least in my mind I could determine if I was getting a good deal. I have not been able to located those resources so far. We are Sams Club members and tried their True Car service. All it does is take your information and send it to every swinging richard in a 100 mile radius and get you phone blown up with emails and text.

Looking for suggestions. Having the patience to deal with the floor sales staff at a dealership is not in my DNA. Would prefer to cut to the chase and deal directly with the decision makers.
                Start with the list you got. Pit them against one another. Call them and say such and such dealership will go to this, can you beat it? It's going to take days to do, but worth it. I did that on my last car, and got a car which rarely goes for less than MSRP (According to Facebook "experts") at more than 10k below MSRP. Don't go to the showroom until you are ready to pull the trigger.

Then once you got it, don't look at prices again because you are bound to find the same truck cheaper nearly immediately after you make your down payment.

Comment

Please ignore the advice of people who bought before the current pandemic. I'm looking for the same type of truck, and it's a different world right now. They aren't coming off sticker price much if at all, because the automakers are still way behind on providing inventory. The best you can do is get them to throw in some incentives like a bed liner or better tires. It never hurts to shop around, but I've been doing that and not getting anywhere. One Chevy dealer told me that they get in 45 Tahoes and Suburbans every week, and every one of them is sold that week. I asked what he had coming in, and he showed me two, but they had already been sold at over MSRP. He basically said he couldn't help me.

Comment

I would hold off if you can. Supply and demand. It's not going to get better anytime soon. I'm talking end of this year into next year. You might get lucky, but I doubt it. They are hand to mouth right now on parts with factories either shutdown or cut way back.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      Please ignore the advice of people who bought before the current pandemic. I'm looking for the same type of truck, and it's a different world right now. They aren't coming off sticker price much if at all, because the automakers are still way behind on providing inventory. The best you can do is get them to throw in some incentives like a bed liner or better tires. It never hurts to shop around, but I've been doing that and not getting anywhere. One Chevy dealer told me that they get in 45 Tahoes and Suburbans every week, and every one of them is sold that week. I asked what he had coming in, and he showed me two, but they had already been sold at over MSRP. He basically said he couldn't help me.
                      I was going to say the same thing... I don’t think it’s a great time to buy a new vehicle especially a truck. COVID/manufacturers have created a shortage so not much wiggle room right now.

Comment

Wait

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Yep!

Comment

I like Car Gurus for seeing prices all over the state.

Unbiased car reviews and over a million opinions and photos from real people. Use CarGurus to find the best used car deals.

Comment

I bought a 2020 model F150 at the end of last year and was able to get a little over $12k off sticker at Planet Ford in Spring. Of course, that doesn't mean much when the sticker prices are as high as they are these days. I had to be a butt and leave once but got it done. The inventory was low but they had a better inventory than other dealer lots that I saw. There are still some deals to be had if you don't mind buying a left over '20 model. My Dad is looking right now and you can get $12-$14K on those at some places.

Comment

Working...
                              X