Barb wire fence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barb wire fence ?

If y’all was building a fence to last a long while what kind of wire would you use ? Two barb ?4 barb 12g or 15g ?How far apart would y’all space the posts ?

2 point 12.5 Gauge Premium Oklahoma brand barb wire. Only stuff I will use. Red brand is ok, but Oklahoma last longer. I prefer to stretch with an actual wire stretcher instead of a come-along. It's much faster and can get it super tight without breaking the wire.

If it's a non crowded area, I put my T post 12' apart with a pipe post every 60'. A lot of guys don't do that, but It's 100% needed for a good fence. I generally just drive the pipe post 3' in the ground.

Bracing sorta depends on your soil. Generally I run double H braces with Double kickers for any corner pull. If its a center brace, you don't need that much since you have two ends pulling against each other.

I prefer to use my hydraulic hammer and drive the H brace pipe 5' in the ground as opposed to 3' in concrete. If you have rock, than you will probably have to use an auger and concrete.
    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Call Buesing Fencing out of Westhoff. Phone # (361)275-417six

Chris know his fencing and he's reasonable on his prices.

Comment

4pt 12 gauge 5-7 strand 12’ t post spacing with a twist stave between those.
        And a 2 3/8” deadman every 120’

Comment

What is the purpose of the fence? cattle, horse, goat .... Most case post #2 with 5 wire

Comment

I wouldn’t take any shortcuts. Fencing is definitely one of those “ Buy once, cry once “ deals.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              What is the purpose of the fence? cattle, horse, goat .... Most case post #2 with 5 wire

I already have good corners . I’m replacing all my line posts and wire . I plan to run some zebus . I’m not sure if I was going to go all cedar or cedar and tpost .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                I already have good corners . I’m replacing all my line posts and wire . I plan to run some zebus . I’m not sure if I was going to go all cedar or cedar and tpost .
                Go metal

Comment

These guy have been very helpful to us
                  Bekaert Fencing has been the industry-leading fencing products since 1880. Explore our strong, corrosion resistant high tensile fences made in America.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    Go metal

Like every 4th post go cedar ? See that a lot around here .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      Like every 4th post go cedar ? See that a lot around here .
                      I would go tpost every 12' then you can use 2 cedar as stays between them

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If running cattle only build a 6 wire barb fence with 5 t-post 12ft apart and then a cedar are metal post. Raise the bottom barb up to 18 inches off the ground if you have a pig problem. JMO

Comment

If I may interject - we run 5 strand, 4 point barb wire, 12.5 gauge.

Since you are on the coast, you will want to use high tensile, class 3 galvanize. It lasts much longer in the salt water. You can run a bottom strand at 12" and every strand above it at 10".

Personally, I can't afford pipe posts so I went with wood - treated wood posts. They last much longer than the cedar. We used cedar on several lines and within 10-12 years they are all rotting and need replacement. The treated posts on other lines are still solid. Unfortunately, lumber is very high now, so it may actually be cheaper to go with used drill stem for posts.

Put the posts 12-15' apart.

Comment

I forgot to add, I always run 6 strands of barb wire. My fences are about 52" to the top wire. Also, I use 6 1/2 T post. Might be overkill, but it makes the fence stout. If I didn't have a post driver attachment, I might be inclined to use 6' post.

Comment

Staytite field fence, 4'' line posts every 15 '

As long as you have good corners, you won't have to worry about that fence for many years

The problem with barbed wire is that they will stick their head through it

Comment

Working...
                              X