Question for suppressor users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am considering a suppressor, but have never had one. For you folks that have experience with them, who makes good ones, and which ones should I stay away from. Will be putting it on a 6.5. Ideas on prices would be helpful too.

Also, if any of you have set up trusts, how do you go about that?

Thanks in advance.

I am in the minority I am not big into suppressors. I don’t like the length they add and weight. Guns are still loud and when hunting I just don’t need one. I do have one. It stays on my 16 inch 308 encore and I like it on it because it is still short and not heavy With it but I see so many guys I know toting around a 24 inch barrel bolt gun with a 7 inch suppressor it looks funny is too long and makes the gun not balance well

Comment

Lots of good choices these days. Get a 30 caliber can and stick with well established companies like Dead Air, Silencerco and Thunderbeast. All of those for a quality suppressor are going to $900-$1200. For a more budget friendly can I see great reviews on the YHM Resonator.

As to the trust there are a couple of well known lawyers in Texas that specialize in NFA trusts. Jim Willi in central Texas and Cole Bryan in Ft Worth. Both of those guys have a wealth of information and will set you up trailers exactly how it will work best for your needs.

I would avoid the canned trusts like the Silencershop 1 shot or any of the other internet trusts you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have shorter barrel rifles that I use suppressors on.
        They perform great and definitely take the crack out.

Few things to consider. I have both steel direct thread and titanium quick detach. I like the titanium better, but when I bought the steel can I wanted the extra weight.
        I would stay away from the mini style.

A few good manufacturers were listed above.
        And price will vary on materials and connection style.

Comment

I've got a YHM resonator 2 and it's great. $510 and 135db on my 308 POF ar-10.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Comment

in for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by static99899 View Post
              I've got a YHM resonator 2 and it's great. $510 and 135db on my 308 POF ar-10.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
              I have one of those in jail. The price was right, full auto 308 rated, and 300 WM rated. Hopefully it's worth the cost and wait!!

Comment

What are your plans for the can? If it’s setting in a deer blind shooting a 6.5 I wouldn’t waste the money or time when you can buy a set of muffs for $30. If you hunting hogs at night with thermal or NV with multiple shooters then it’s a different story.

Comment

I have a few cans and prefer direct thread for a couple reasons. 1 is I have witnessed a couple cans go flying down range after the can was not properly locked into place. There is no chance of that happening with direct thread. Also those quick mounts add weight and length.

My absolute favorite can is the silenserco omega 300. It is one of the quietest cans out there and in the direct thread, flat cap configuration it’s only 6” long.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
                    What are your plans for the can? If it’s setting in a deer blind shooting a 6.5 I wouldn’t waste the money or time when you can buy a set of muffs for $30. If you hunting hogs at night with thermal or NV with multiple shooters then it’s a different story.
                    I hadn’t cared about having a can to hunt with until having kids. When you’re in a stand/blind the extra length doesn’t really matter but I look forward to not having the concussion blast my 3 year old, even if he’s wearing muffs. I can’t wear ear pro while hunting.

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    I have a few cans and prefer direct thread for a couple reasons. 1 is I have witnessed a couple cans go flying down range after the can was not properly locked into place. There is no chance of that happening with direct thread. Also those quick mounts add weight and length.

My absolute favorite can is the silenserco omega 300. It is one of the quietest cans out there and in the direct thread, flat cap configuration it’s only 6” long.
                    Poor QD setups can fail, the better ones like Dead Air generally don’t. The danger with DT cans is them backing off over multiple shots and causing a baffle strike. You just need to check it during a range session.

Comment

I have the Q trash panda and thunder chicken and really like them. The QD system is nice as it screws on and snugs nicely. Never had it back off. I would definitely get a 30 cal can over a 6.5 can for versatility. I would do a living trust so you have options in the future and can move/lend it out. Brother has a TBAC ultra 9 and it is nice as well. Seems in the $1k range you get a good choice in cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by bmac; 12-13-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post

I too prefer direct thread, as I don’t want the added weight of a QD system. That said QDs are better options for many situations. If the cab is getting launched that’s not a QD fault in general, but the result of a crappy QD design (sush as the SilencerCo ASR). Many of the designs out there now are much more refined.

Comment

Some cans are designed more for AR rifles and others for bolt guns. I have multiple Griffin cans that are all steel. .22 cal cans and .30 cal cans. To me they are noticeably quieter than my titanium Deadair cans.

Comment

So far my QD Silencerco attachments have worked great! I’m attaching a silencerco specwar and have yet to have an issue and it isn’t loud at all just heavy.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            I too prefer direct thread, as I don’t want the added weight of a QD system. That said QDs are better options for many situations. If the cab is getting launched that’s not a QD fault in general, but the result of a crappy QD design (sush as the SilencerCo ASR). Many of the designs out there now are much more refined.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                              So far my QD Silencerco attachments have worked great! I’m attaching a silencerco specwar and have yet to have an issue and it isn’t loud at all just heavy.
                              The Specwar is a great can, and arguably one of the quietest on the market even 8 years later. The ASR is lacking severely though. I’ve got a Specwar that will twist off in the fully locked position. I’ve got an RMA to get it warrantied, but I haven’t shot the can in 6+ years anyways. There’s also a reason several other mfgs have produced upgrade options to use their mounts with the Omega. and why so many spend the cash to buy them.

I am thinking about sending my Specwar 762 off to ECCO Machine, and having them convert it to a different mount. I just can’t decide which one.
                              Last edited by TX03RUBI; 12-13-2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X