No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance gardening?? Anyone ever garden while being away 5 and sometimes 12 days away for work?? I plan to run a smaller garden with automatic watering. Will this even have a chance to work? Ideas and suggestions are highly welcomed...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      Distance gardening?? Anyone ever garden while being away 5 and sometimes 12 days away for work?? I plan to run a smaller garden with automatic watering. Will this even have a chance to work? Ideas and suggestions are highly welcomed...

Drip irrigation is your friend works great for me. Only thing I need to do is fertilizer once a week. Already about to start picking peppers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I planted about 2 weeks ago. 4 rows of sweet corn (2 different kinds)
        1 row okra, 1 row snap beans, 1 row purple hulls, 2 rows of tomatoes, 2 rows of peppers (chilli, banana, jap, hab, bell, Tabasco), 1 row cucumbers/squash/zucchini, 1 row cabbage, 1 row onions, 1 1/2 row taters, 3 strawberries, and several sunflowers (teddy bear, chocolate cherry, and another I forgot) throughout. Rows are 40'. I'm going to be busy this year. And I had plenty of help.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          Drip irrigation is your friend works great for me. Only thing I need to do is fertilizer once a week. Already about to start picking peppers!

Do you have any pics of your drip irrigation set up??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Do you have any pics of your drip irrigation set up??

It’s all on a cheap timer. 2x a day for 45min 3x a week. I will get a pic of the garden tomorrow. Thriving like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
              It’s all on a cheap timer. 2x a day for 45min 3x a week. I will get a pic of the garden tomorrow. Thriving like crazy.

Thank you Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                I have a rather large garden and wondering what folks are using to make rows with behind a tractor. I have looked at the bedder attachment online but have never used one. Any certain brand etc anyone had experience with? Thanks in advance.
                I don't have one but this looks pretty cool with multiple uses. You put the standard hiller discs on to make your rows. Then later you can swap the discs with spider gang cultivators and weed in between the rows. If I had a large garden I would be doing this and leaving the hoeing to the grumpy old farts on here.

The Keulavator® is a customizable 3-point cultivator frame Garden Bedder for making or bedding rows on your small farm. Design your own Keulavator® today.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                  Now hopefully i can plant mine and sell all the others...
                  Nice setup!
                  I need to try this. The price of plants is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Johnny, This is what I use for making my garden rows. Once you get it set up, it makes absolutely perfect rows and with the optional furrowing attachment, it opens the top of the row up so all you have to do is drop in seeds and cover them up.

This web site has a lot of good information as well as good YouTube videos on how to set the attachments up. I called and asked questions and they were always helpful... Quick shipments too... first time I called, I told him his attachment wouldn't work for me because it was the wrong color... He said, "what you mean?"... I tole him all my stuff had to be John Deere Green... He chuckled and tole me all his stuff was Case Yeller... Good folks.

I got the 48" bedder because I didn't want to make my rows too far apart, and with the small "plows" set at their widest hole setting, they take out my tire tracks and makes for a nice looking garden...

[ATTACH]1043759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1043758[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1043757[/ATTACH]

As you can see from the pic, the bedder now works very well on my tractor... I painted it the RIGHT color!!
                    Just seeing this. Love that attachment and will more than likely get one for next Spring when I go much bigger with the garden. I ended up getting a single wheel hoe and other than a good arm workout, it does the job pretty darn quick! I planted a week back....36 tomatoes, 3 sweet 100's, a dozen jalapeno, 7 black beauty eggplants, two 50ft rows of bush beans (blue lake n contender), two 10ft rows of radishes, two 10ft rows of beets and half dozen red bell peppers. During lunch today I tilled up another garden area and will put purple and yellow onions in there along with watermelon and cucumber. Now all I gotta do is keep the deer and rabbits out of it.lol

Comment

What tractor are y’all using in your gardens getting ready to expand a good bit and need a piece of equipment.

Comment

Other than battling the fire ants, my garden is coming on nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Skipshot View Post
                          Other than battling the fire ants, my garden is coming on nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I like those cages! Did you build them?

Comment

The garden is coming along nicely now that it’s warmed up a bit.

My asparagus has really taken off. This was from today.

Comment

My wife got our garden planted, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers for pickling, jalapenos, yellow squash, zucchini and cantaloupe.

I looked and last year we planted at the end of February, this year was end of March, between the freeze and a vacation we were off a month.

Comment

Scotty, do you let ferns grow for a while before you harvest? Finally seeing some shoots from ours, but afraid to pick the first ones?....

My corn and okra rows are starting to sprout. Beans and peas are doing well, and tomatoes are about 18” tall already.

Have cantaloupe and melons about ready to plant, and this year I have some Dill’s Giant and Knucklehead pumpkins. Curious how they handle the heat, but they look good so far.

Peppers are slow to start but should be good this year. Started onions the week before the freeze. Covered them, and they look good so far. Planted 200 starts, will pull/thin some for cooking along the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X