Truck transmission/torque converter issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck transmission/torque converter issue

Tried googling this and results are skewed by millions of shop FAQ type articles.

So this is an old 1996 Dodge 4x4 that's destined to go down to fish camp to eventually rust out and die (sad face). So I don't really care about the problem itself as long as it's not gonna blow out and quit on me down there.

This truck when we put it in drive and ease on the gas it takes a second and revs up then pops into gear, once in gear it drives fine even up to highway speeds with no noticable issues unless we stop at a light or stop sign then it revs and pops in gear and goes.

I'm looking for the most likely issue as it's not worth paying a transmission shop to diagnose and if the most likely issue is something that'll slowly or rapidly get worse. It's a good truck other than this issue and missing header bolts.

Full of fluid? When’s the last time you looked at filter? If the magnet has heavy glitter/debris it needs to be overhauled. No debris it’s “fixable.”

Comment

I'll check the fluid. Have to drop the pan for filter though right?

If this is an overhaul issue and I put it on sand in 4x4 situations it's likely to accelerate it's demise, yeah? Probably wouldn't see but maybe 200 miles per year and 25mph tops but lots of sand.
      Last edited by justletmein; 04-03-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        I'll check the fluid. Have to drop the pan for filter though right?

If this is an overhaul issue and I put it on sand in 4x4 situations it's likely to accelerate it's demise, yeah? Probably wouldn't see but maybe 200 miles per year and 25mph tops but lots of sand.
        It could blow the transmission depending on what it is. My bet would be try changing the fluid and filter and see what that does first before anything else. I'm pretty sure everything rusts out and dies within 2 years on the island down there. I hauled a jeep cherokee down there for a buddy that lasted less than a year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My two trucks are going on their 5th year, although one of them has a stuck front brake drum. Ironic because it hasn't had working brakes for a year. Lol... Both of them have gone through alternators and 4x4 actuators and hoses and lost brakes with tons of rust, one of them blew off a shock last trip so it's just hanging there. Both Dodge's so gotta say I'm kind of proud of them for lasting this long. ok I'll change out the fluids, that's the least I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            My two trucks are going on their 5th year, although one of them has a stuck front brake drum. Ironic because it hasn't had working brakes for a year. Lol... Both of them have gone through alternators and 4x4 actuators and hoses and lost brakes with tons of rust, one of them blew off a shock last trip so it's just hanging there. Both Dodge's so gotta say I'm kind of proud of them for lasting this long. ok I'll change out the fluids, that's the least I can do.
            I think alot of their problems are "guest" driving them when they are having a large time down there. Driving through Salt water and getting them stuck doesn't help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

5 years over there is pretty impressive.

Comment

Just spend $3k and have the tranny rebuilt. What else are you gonna do...buy a $10K-$15k SxS? If the truck is otherwise straight like you say a tranny is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Just spend $3k and have the tranny rebuilt. What else are you gonna do...buy a $10K-$15k SxS? If the truck is otherwise straight like you say a tranny is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I paid $2250 and $2600 for the two trucks over there 5 years ago. That's not a place you spend a lot of money on things. This truck cost me $1750 about 4 years ago and my son drove it for 3 years before getting an upgrade. This is a place trucks go to die so don't wanna put a lot of money into them before taking them over there.

Comment

Had a 97 with the same issue it wasn't the converter it was some orings inside the transmission after it warmed up it got better. finally broke down and got the it fixed and it worked like a champ after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X