No announcement yet.

Was just quoted $63/sf for small metal shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redoing my wood siding well house at 240 sf, skinning it with R panel, adding a garage door, and it 33 per foot. R panels over $3sf now, plywood has more than doubled. It’s crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      Look up lumber and steel prices, they have doubled after election.
      They also double bout a year ago do to the virus.

Comment

Supply and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
          Redoing my wood siding well house at 240 sf, skinning it with R panel, adding a garage door, and it 33 per foot. R panels over $3sf now, plywood has more than doubled. It’s crazy.
          Scared me at $3sf, was just quoted $3.99 linear foot ( about $1.33sf ).

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            Want to add on to my shop, a small area for office, bathroom and lunchroom. Only 220sf. ( like I said, small ). Wood frame, r panel, 4" slab, insulated, no sheetrock etc. No ceiling etc.

A few yrs ago my shop cost $24/ft if I remember right. Quote I just got was $63/sf. I know things have gone up but that's insane!

We are talking about a little add on, exposed insulation etc.

Guess I will have to do it myself....again...
            The small square footage is the reason the price has tripled.

Comment

I just did a 200 square foot buildout myself. I just did all the work myself as the quotes were ridiculous. As stated above, a small job like this isn't a money maker so you have someone saying, "I need to make 5K or I'm not interested". If the job is $100 in materials then your quote is $5100, lol.

I also got a quote to pour a small concrete wall and figured he wouldn't charge me a ton to form up a 12" by 40' long wall. Wrong. Just under a truckload of cement and the best quote I got was $9K, lol. eff that.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                Look up lumber and steel prices, they have doubled after election.
                The election didnt have anything to do with it. Material prices have been a mess since covid shut downs. My material Prices (I build outdoor living spaces) have done nothing but go up for a solid 10 months.

OP...Get multiple quotes. the guy that provided that number might just be too busy to mess with it.

Comment

I do all of my own construction so i don't have a labor cost but all of my projects are on hold until the prices come back down. I suspect that its due to a supply shortage due to covid. there are a lot of pre made trusses and such that have been out of stock since july

Comment

Laura and Delta got you more than anything else.

Comment

Unless you have a buddy contractor or they are staving most will pass on the small jobs, there just isn’t enough money to be made. Are there guys willing to do it? Sure there are but you don’t have nothing to fall back on if say johnny and his cousin do a bad job.

Comment

Also contractors are in high demand across the South central due to the bad freeze. I was going to do a remodel but we’re holding off until things settle down.

Comment

I know how you feel as supply prices have gone crazy. I got a Deck with covering on my Mini Cabin for $3500 ..Very basic with Tin Roof.
                          I would look into a portable building already built.
                          I got a 10x20' Derkshan for $6000 and they delivered for Free

Comment

Labor is hard to find.

Comment

Update

Well, add on is almost finished. Builder should be done with everything tomorrow, then I will do the rest. ( same as the original plan) I supplied all matl and builder did slab and all labor

Ended up at $33/sf. Almost half of what was quoted by the first guy. Still more per sf than the original build, but that makes sense with matl prices and smaller size.

Comment

Cool Mike, sounds like the addition worked out OK for you cost wise.

Comment

Working...
                                X