Reloading question .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading question .308

So question for the reloaders. Is there a certain point when loading for sbr rifle or pistols where you load down to get max efficiency out of your barrel length? For example a .308 in a 12" barrel vs a 18-20" barrel. Is there any point in running a hot load trying to chase that velocity if not getting a full burn in the barrel? Or would it be better to load it down a few grains and get comparable velocity? Not wanting subs but also want decent expansion velocity out to say 300 so 1800 fps at 300.

Just some Tuesday musing brought on by the blackout thread.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I've not loaded for short barreled stuff, but my initial reaction is to load the fastest powder you can. That is look at the load data for the bullet you're using and select the fastest burning powder in the data and use it.

LWD

Comment

May look into faster burning powders to be able to get an efficient burn in the barrel length you have and still have a full power load

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Load it for accuracy. if it blows a 4' fireball, so be it.

Comment

I don’t think you can get 1800fps at 300yds with any bullet/powder combination in a 12” .308

Comment

Load a faster burning powder and light bullet, I load 178s and 165s for a 16” bolt gun and still get 2700-2750fps.

Comment

I'd load something like a 110gr barnes, and get someone with quickload (barnes might do it over the phone) to run numbers for magnum pistol powders, and fast rifle powders

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                I don’t think you can get 1800fps at 300yds with any bullet/powder combination in a 12” .308
                I am thinking a 125 nosler BT, 125 hornady SST or the Barnes 120 gr tactx blackout bullet would get me close. If I could get it up around 2400-2500 leaving the muzzle.

Comment

Try W748 with the 125gr

Comment

Load for accuracy and use a thin wall jacket match grade HP bullet to get expansion at distance.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      Load a faster burning powder and light bullet, I load 178s and 165s for a 16” bolt gun and still get 2700-2750fps.
                      What powered are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Heartland Hunter View Post
                        What powered are you using?
                        Imr4064 in starline small rifle primer brass, they seem to hold the pressure better than lapua lrp brass did. I will say this is a pretty heavy load and bullets are set out far.

Comment

Working...
                        X