Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday!

Comment

Friday - for sure. Alot of times when there are already birds, the storms will blow them out. Wait for the clear day friday and knock on the new birds

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
        The day before a front comes in. I ran goose hunts for 20 years in Lubbock. 10am-1pm the day before a front is due, high flying migrators would pile into town. Full moon right now so they will also push at night.

I’m right here with blackfoot and I kind of agree with others except I prefer to hunt cloudy windy days, I don’t like bluebird skies when they be cruising in the stratosphere

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
          I don’t like bluebird skies when they be cruising in the stratosphere
          That happens on clear days with no wind

Comment

My opinion would be Friday or Saturday. I don't buy the cloudy rainy days being better for duck hunting. Having wind is by far the biggest factor. Helps with decoy movement and getting birds in your hole. In my experience, the days after the cold fronts are always better. I think it sorta varies based on your area and weather conditions. I've noticed this to be true especially this year. I've hunted a couple of times the day before the cold front pushed in with no luck. The next weekend its a blowout. We hunt along the red river, so it might be that these birds are just sorta hanging out in the area after the front since its a major flyway.
            Last edited by Arrowthreat; 12-29-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

My opinion is hunt as much as you can. I've had good hunts in all weather conditions, I've also had bad hunts in all weather conditions. We are hunting ducks that can travel hundreds of miles any given day. They travel for a variety of reasons: weather, hunting pressure, lack of food/water, length of the day, etc.

You just got to get boots on the ground and go find some birds and hope they show in the morning.

Comment

^no truer words have been spoken

Comment

If you only get the one day, go Saturday.

The weather tomorrow is going to push some birds here out, and not sure what new birds will come if any. By Saturday you should have either some birds from up north or a reverse migration of the ones that pushed down some.

Plus you can enjoy yourself New Year's eve and New Year's Day.

I'll make a decision in the AM if I go tomorrow or now. Believe its going to rain all day, so probably going to do stuff around here. Will repeat on Thursday, but looking more and more like Saturday is when I actually get to go.

Comment

If you have a no doubt spot, then Friday is fine. Otherwise, I'm with Blackfoot. Those new arrivals are looking for company and can be tricked a little easier. The day before is the ticket.

Comment

I prefer cloudy days over sunny ones. Birds have great eyesight, and can spot anything SHINY when the sun is bright. Plastic decoys bobbing on the water will shine where they are wet. Gun barrels, glasses, and all sorts of gear that reflects sunlight will keep birds from finishing, especially late in the season.

The more wind the better to keep them low and off the big water and looking for shelter.

The only time I like bright sun is hunting flooded timber. Motion on the water is more visible then to draw them to the decoys.

I would probably hunt Wednesday. One of the best hunts I ever had was a solo duck/goose hunt right as a front hit. I set out 2 dozen goose shells in a rice field, and a dozen duck decoys on a pond and sat between them. That was the morning that game warden Justin Hurst walked into my spread to check my license and got down in the mud with me when the birds were working. Walked out with a pile of geese and a limit of ducks.

Justin was killed a few weeks after that.

Comment

Wind and partly sunny to sunny. They can see the dekes and the wind makes dekes look real. Can’t stand days w no wind. Dekes look fake. In my experience strong wind gets ducks down quicker. They don’t circle as much. They want down. After front with new ducks in town provided easier hunts.

Comment

Working...
                        X