Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

300 Win Mag Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 Win Mag Loads

Just picked up a Tikka T3x Hunter in 300 Win Mag and was wondering what some of your favorite loads are. Said rifle has 1:11 twist so I think I will stay with 180gr and lighter pills. In fact, I have some 180gr Barnes TSX and 165gr AccuBonds. In addition, I have a fair amount of IMR 4350 and H4831SC...reading that R-22 may be a good choice as well.

Thanks in advance.

I have the same gun. I shoot 200 grain Hornady Precision hunter ELD-X. I have a B&C stock with a VX6HD. The gun will consistently shoot right at 1". I'm sure I could hand load, or find a load that would shot 1/2 or 3/4, but it's plenty accurate for me. My best friend has the exact same gun and shoots the exact same with those loads. I have taken a handful of 180-200ib whitetails and hogs with excellent results. He's killed a couple mule deer and at least 5 elk in Colorado with that gun/load.

IMO there's no reason to shoot a .300 if you're shooting a light bullet. Take advantage of the .300 and shoot a heavier bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
      I have the same gun. I shoot 200 grain Hornady Precision hunter ELD-X. I have a B&C stock with a VX6HD. The gun will consistently shoot right at 1". I'm sure I could hand load, or find a load that would shot 1/2 or 3/4, but it's plenty accurate for me. My best friend has the exact same gun and shoots the exact same with those loads. I have taken a handful of 180-200ib whitetails and hogs with excellent results. He's killed a couple mule deer and at least 5 elk in Colorado with that gun/load.

IMO there's no reason to shoot a .300 if you're shooting a light bullet. Take advantage of the .300 and shoot a heavier bullet.
      I have the exact same gun and shoot the same bullet. I took a coastal brown bear this Spring and a caribou in August. I’m really happy with It.

Comment

In for reading.

So something I’ve wondered- how does the ELD x preform on elk / large game are normal ranges? Doesn’t the ELDX tout the optimal performance at 400+ yards?

I too have a 300wm and once I can find ammo again will be searching for the round I wanna run in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Christenson arms .300 WM and it really likes the 200 grain precision hunters. I took it to Africa in October and shot 12 animals with it ranging from a Duiker to a 1800# eland. it was a very favorable round for everything over there.

Comment

Use H1000 or retumbo. Idk how many rounds I’ve fired through a few 300s I’ve owned but it’s been a lot. 185 berger HVLD or 180 accubonds. 3025-3060 in every rifle and it hits like a train hitting a car lol. Work up the charge till you see pressure.

Comment

I load 72 gr. IMR 4350 with 180 bullets. I’ve killed moose, deer, elk with this load without any problems.

Comment

My load is 73.5gr of h4831 with 178gr eld-x

Comment

180 Accubond over H-1000

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas. Like what I am reading here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                      In for reading.

So something I’ve wondered- how does the ELD x preform on elk / large game are normal ranges? Doesn’t the ELDX tout the optimal performance at 400+ yards?

I too have a 300wm and once I can find ammo again will be searching for the round I wanna run in it.

The elk I was referencing in my previous response was killed at 650 yards. It dropped on impact. The bullet was recovered with excellent retention.

Comment

I really like Nosler Partition bullets (in several calibers). I shoot the 180gr with H4350.

Comment

have several loads worked up for my new .300WM, just got my rings in and I just haven't made it to sight in - break-in yet.

180 accubonds and 185 Berger Juggernauts with H 1000 and N560.

will post range reports soon

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                            have several loads worked up for my new .300WM, just got my rings in and I just haven't made it to sight in - break-in yet.

180 accubonds and 185 Berger Juggernauts with H 1000 and N560.

will post range reports soon

How do you do a work up before shooting the gun?

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
                              I really like Nosler Partition bullets (in several calibers). I shoot the 180gr with H4350.

Partition is an awesome bullet no doubt! Accubond performs very similar but tends to be more accurate due to polymer tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X