Leupold VX3i vs VX5HD vs VX6HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
    Figured I'd update for anyone curious, here's what I ended up with.

Remington 700 Long Range SS .300 win mag
    Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot Reticle
    EGW HD Rings
    EGW HD 0MOA Rail
    Gun ended up liking 200gr ELDX the best

Haven't sent off for my CDS dial yet but playing with MOA adjustments, I drilled a javelina at 450 yards a couple weeks ago. Also head shot a doe from about 80 yards which was as gross as you can imagine with a 200gr round traveling at 3k fps. Very pleased with the whole setup and looking forward to stretching it much farther.
    Looks good, I like the end result!

Comment

Good looking combo!!!

Comment

If you do some research you can find the VX6's for a couple hundred bucks more than the VX5's. There's always blowout sales on VX6's. I've never seen a legit sale on the VX5 model scopes. I bought a brand new VX6HD 3-18-50 for 1,200 on Euro optics. They have a few other models on sale as well. The increase magnification range, better glass, and lens covers is worth a couple hundred bucks to me IMO.

However, the difference in glass between the vx3 and vx5 is more significant than the vx5 to vx6.

Comment

cds is fun but you are limited to one load

Comment

Regarding the OP's question on a CDS dial, based on what you said about 300 yards being the longest you would shoot, you don't need a dial for that with a 300 Win Mag.

For example, I have a dial on my 7mm RUM and I purposely have it set for a zero at 300 yards. Since CDS dials are really built for longer range shooting, I don't even need my dial until past 450 yards.

Your ballistics and where you have your rifles zeroed will determine your point blank range and my guess without knowing what bullet you are shooting, is that with a 200 yard zero with your 300, your point blank range is probably going to be somewhere in the 330-350 range.

As pointed out earlier, CDS dials are designed for shooting one specific load as well so that is something else to consider.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You have already ordered the scope I believe, but the best advice I would give is to spend twice to three times your scope budget on your binoculars. You will be using them a LOT more. A scope is an aiming device that you will need (and need it to perform) for a few minutes before the shot. Your binoculars you would be using the rest of the time. Spend the money on the best binos you can afford. A $300 scope will kill them as dead as a $1500 scope. The $1500 scope will get you maybe 3 - 5 minutes of extra light at MOST (but likely less).

This changes if you are doing PRS, long-range shooting, or long-range hunting.

Comment

Dont forget to compare differences in weight.

Comment

+1 to what the others have said, VX5 is the sweet spot and maybe the best scope around for a hunting rifle that will see field work.

Comment

Working...
                  X