No announcement yet.

Devils River trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been fortunate to do the trip. One of the coolest excursions I have ever been on and would go again in a heartbeat. Scenery is second to none. Fishing was great. Make sure you have good dry bags, every one in my party rolled at least once. Also, have a good sleeping mat, those rocks are not comfortable with a standard mat.

Comment

Originally posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
      Is Big Satan open? A buddy told me the road to it had washed out so they'd have to ferry you from Amistad to take out. Or put in at Baker and take out earlier at Devil's River SP.

I have not verified this so take it with a grain of salt. I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
      It’s still closed we’ll come out at RM 25 Blue Sage

Comment

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
        I have been fortunate to do the trip. One of the coolest excursions I have ever been on and would go again in a heartbeat. Scenery is second to none. Fishing was great. Make sure you have good dry bags, every one in my party rolled at least once. Also, have a good sleeping mat, those rocks are not comfortable with a standard mat.
        I was looking at sleeping pads last night.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
          Make sure to do a recap on here afterward. Always thought it would be a cool trip.
          Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by topher View Post
            Can’t wait to hear about it.
            Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
              It’s still closed we’ll come out at RM 25 Blue Sage
              Ah. Appreciate the info! Enjoy the trip, you'll have a blast.

Last time I went I took a break down recurve bowfishing rig and had a hell of a time chasing carp. I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where are you putting in at? Bakers Crossing or Del Norte? Too bad you can’t go past Blue Sage, some of the most beautiful areas are in between Blue Sage and Big Satan.

As noted above, be sure to have great dry bags...everything will get wet and everyone will tip over.

Comment

I used to ride rivers and creeks a Lot! Hope things are changed a bit as Devils River info used to come with warnings of very aggressive land owners. Of course respect properties and I would expect TBH to do that without saying. Never went and would have but just did not. Past viewing Articles and awesome photography, this place is out of place and So cool! Enjoy.
                  I still trip but little less adventurous with age. Got two cool modern yaks now and had one of the first Wilderness Systems built (Ride probably early 80's? ) a friend still owns. Report back with pics and tips

Comment

Shane Davies does a guided trip down there. He furnishes all the gear or you can use your own. I think he quoted me $2500 for 2 people everything included but I can't remember how long the trip was. I've never used him but I have met him at the Brazos below PK once. Super nice guy and he's been doing river trips in Texas for a long time. He has a website.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get you a Coleman twin or the slim twin blow up mattress and a max pump plus-usb rechargeable that works really good.
                      You will never be uncomfortable again and will sleep great. Trust me on this. It’s a little heavy but your in a canoe. I have used it on this trip and others.
                      Check out Amazon

Comment

This trip looks interesting

Looking forward to the report and pics

Comment

I’ve done the devils twice. Most recently this past summer Used amistad both times to shuttle.
                          My group stayed at Marlene’s (who cares bed n breakfast) and we were allowed to leave our truck and trailer at her BnB for the duration of our float.
                          Marlene’s place is something else.
                          Multiple beds and bedrooms with pool tables and an outside bar area. We cooked outside on her fire pits. . The evening we returned we swam in her big pila tank/swimming pool and drank cervezas. She cooks you a big breakfast before amistad picks you up at 6am. Highly recommended and amistad likes to pick up/drop off there because it’s not as much of a backtrack for their driver, if I understand right. On the shuttle ride, pick the drivers brain on conditions.
                          We did the trip from one tpwd unit to the other over two nights three days the fishing was spectacular. We took our time floating. Work over any hole down stream of a rapid and you’ll find smallies. Wacky worms worked best for us.

So with the flooding in 2018, a lot of things have changed in the river. Our driver explained that indian head Falls was re-channeled and basically is a garage sale, so many ppl would turn over there. The flood dropped rocks or changed the channel for sure between my first and second trip.., anyways it’s rough... I overturned and lost gear there.
                          Another thing, be sure to pack wag bags. Also a good idea to have mesh bags for camp trash. Can’t carry plastic bags. No glass. Read the rules. More and more people run the river now and you can tell. I tried to collect as much random trash like floating cigarette butts, beer cans, and monofilament. It’s a special place, hope it stays wild.

Comment

Bucket list trip for me. Good luck, look forward to hearing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
                              I’ve done the devils twice. Most recently this past summer Used amistad both times to shuttle.
                              My group stayed at Marlene’s (who cares bed n breakfast) and we were allowed to leave our truck and trailer at her BnB for the duration of our float.
                              Marlene’s place is something else.
                              Multiple beds and bedrooms with pool tables and an outside bar area. We cooked outside on her fire pits. . The evening we returned we swam in her big pila tank/swimming pool and drank cervezas. She cooks you a big breakfast before amistad picks you up at 6am. Highly recommended and amistad likes to pick up/drop off there because it’s not as much of a backtrack for their driver, if I understand right. On the shuttle ride, pick the drivers brain on conditions.
                              We did the trip from one tpwd unit to the other over two nights three days the fishing was spectacular. We took our time floating. Work over any hole down stream of a rapid and you’ll find smallies. Wacky worms worked best for us.

So with the flooding in 2018, a lot of things have changed in the river. Our driver explained that indian head Falls was re-channeled and basically is a garage sale, so many ppl would turn over there. The flood dropped rocks or changed the channel for sure between my first and second trip.., anyways it’s rough... I overturned and lost gear there.
                              Another thing, be sure to pack wag bags. Also a good idea to have mesh bags for camp trash. Can’t carry plastic bags. No glass. Read the rules. More and more people run the river now and you can tell. I tried to collect as much random trash like floating cigarette butts, beer cans, and monofilament. It’s a special place, hope it stays wild.
                              It's not wild like it use to be, the pieces is the new truelly wild river I texas.

I ran the devils several years ago. Stayed at Marlenes as well and she shuttled us from bakers crossing and took out at blue sage. Not sure if she is still doing shuttles or not. It's an awesome river and the fishing got better the further down stream we got.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoothing Iron View Post
                                Where are you putting in at? Bakers Crossing or Del Norte? Too bad you can’t go past Blue Sage, some of the most beautiful areas are in between Blue Sage and Big Satan.

As noted above, be sure to have great dry bags...everything will get wet and everyone will tip over.
                                Putting in at Bakers. That just means I’ll have to make another trip to see it when it opens.

Comment

Working...
                                X