Growing grass on caliche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing grass on caliche

Is there a certain type of grass that will grow on Caliche? Our ranch is in West Texas. I’ve grown food plots/grass well in areas out here, but I am able to keep constant water on those areas. The area that I am wanting to grow this grass is going to be about 10 acres. There isn’t any water nearby to keep it constantly watered like I have done in the past, but I can irrigate it occasionally with the tractor. I’m not looking to plant food plots, but more so something that will come around annually. I thought buffalo grass might be the best options, but figured I would get some better opinions on options from you guys/girls.

Buffalo grass might work but it is expensive

Comment

For the soil type you are describing you would rather use a buffalo grass but it is about $2,500 for a 900 square foot area at the sparse spreading rate
      You could plant alfalfa or something and hope you get enough rain

Comment

Is this a caliche Road that was put in or a naturally occurring caliche deposit? The reason I ask is these naturally occurring areas generally don't have much growing on them other than some scraggly, pitiful looking shrubs, its highly unlikely you'd be able to irrigate enough to keep much growing. Drive around the area and find some of these spots, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

The driveway at the farm has no problem growing coastal on it. Guess the stuff fell off hay bales and took sprout in the caliche

Comment

I know these pictures aren’t the best. They are the only ones that I have. I can get more later today.
            There is caliche all over, but there is a caliche road that runs right through the middle of the area.
            If you look at the picture where I am discing you can see in the far left picture that there is a little bit of grass that grows. So I’m not sure why it would grow there, but the rest of it..?
            Attached Files

Comment

I’ll save you some heartache and wasted money. If Mother Nature can’t get weeds to grow there, you ain’t gonna get anything else to grow either

Comment

Even if you could irrigate, water doesnt percolate caliche worth a ****. It runs off, so will your seed with it.

Comment

I figured. Other areas that I have planted that have accessible water do great. Just no way to constantly feed this area right now.

Comment

Look at that hill north of the highway in Rankin, between the motel and the courthouse. Imagine growing grass there!

Comment

If you figure out a way without irrigation you will be a millionaire overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        I’ll save you some heartache and wasted money. If Mother Nature can’t get weeds to grow there, you ain’t gonna get anything else to grow either
                        A lot of truth to this statement..K.R. blue stem will.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                          A lot of truth to this statement..K.R. blue stem will.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                          Will it grow decent without much water?

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                            Will it grow decent without much water?
                            It will but once it takes root you are never getting rid of it.

I don't think anything kills it that I know of. It invaded my yard and I roundup it, it browns and looks dead but comes back in a couple weeks.

Comment

Frog fruit might be tough enough.. its not a grass, but a low growing ground cover that could be a grass alternative. Once its established it will spread fairly quickly and can be spring started into other areas

Comment

Working...
                              X