Diesel to gas- will I hate it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
    I'm a diesel guy but I did own a 2008 chevy 6.0 gas 3/4 ton. I will never buy another gas 3/4 again.
    I’ve had a handful of 6.0 2500s. They’re pretty gutless compared to today’s crop of HD gassers.

Comment

I have had 2 Super Duty's with the 6.2 gas and love them. The 6.2 is a very proven engine and has plenty of power for what you are talking about using it for.

My current one is a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas and 3.73 rear end. I upgraded from my previous F250 because I needed the payload for my slide in truck camper.

I just made the round trip up to Cody, WY earlier this week and got 15.4 mpg round trip just to give you and idea of mileage running empty. Overall life to date mileage over 45,000 miles is 12.5.

I haul my truck camper (3800 lbs fully wet) and also tow an ATV trailer and sometimes a boat. I am extremely happy with mine.

My next one I will have to look at the 7.3 gas with 10 speed transmission, which I have heard a lot of good things about so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        That would be ok if he had been in an older diesel. He’s coming from a 15’ 6.7 though. He’ll notice it..... a lot.
        I understand, just makin a comparison to HP and torque numbers That were honestly not long ago.

Both diesel and gas motors of every make are making stupid amounts of HP and torque compared to even 10 years ago. How many diesel guys are having or have had emission or fuel issues? You don’t just don’t see that with gassers, there’s a reason most company vehicles are 3/4 ton gassers. OP for what your gonna be using the truck for I would go with a gasser, just my opinion.

Comment

So, I just looked at one today briefly that has the 7.3 with 3.55 rear...I think. I've heard that folks like the 3.73 but does it make as much of a difference with a 10 speed tran.? Or is it mainly for the low end take off power when towing heavy? Thanks!

Comment

I have a 2020 Super Duty, 7.3 gasser.
            7500 miles on it. 15.3 empty on cruise on I-20.
            12.6 pulling the setup below.
            Had an 06 Duramax and 2- 6.7 Fords.
            I am Very happy with the 7.3. Not a 6.7 But plenty of power and acceleration.
            Don’t pull big trailers anymore but it pulls a Heavy 20’ trailer with 45 hp tractor easily. Do Not regret it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, you won't be as cool.

Comment

I love these threads. I think 90% of the people who own diesel pick ups could easily get by with a gas. I think unless you’re pulling a trailer five days a week you’ll be happy with a gasoline motor. I drove three-quarter ton diesel for a long time. I am now and a half ton gas and it pulls the same stuff, maybe not as fast but it does the job.

Comment

I’ve had a handful of 6.0 2500s. They’re pretty gutless compared to today’s crop of HD gassers.
                  You are right on that. I had two 6.0 2500 4x4's and without a trailer I do not think they would hit the speed limiter on a mile long stretch from a stand still. Put a load behind them and it was actually kind of dangerous, those trucks had no power, pitiful.

I have been in the truck market for a while. But everytime I step on the pedal in my 6.2l 1/2 ton I decide to keep looking. I will eventually buy another 2500 and it will be a deisel but only because I want to be like the other cool old dudes at deer camp. The current gas motor 2500's will do everything you want, well.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                    I just went through the same delimma and purchased a 6.2 last week. Did the math on it and cost of diesel just did not warrant the additional cost
                    I predict more and more of this. I cut the diesel cord years ago for my everyday truck. Still have an F250 to move my tractor and backhoe, but that’s about 4/5k miles a year. I’ll never buy another.

Comment

My personal opinion only but I went to a gas 3/4ton from 12 years in a diesel. It was a 2018 dodge with the 6.4 hemi. Did it pull what I hooked up to it, yep. Was it even close to my diesels, absolutely not. I really noticed when I hooked onto my 30’ and loaded 11 round bales on it. It was horrible. It did pull it and got up to 70 mph but took miles to get to it. If I never knew what a diesel would do then I’d probably been ok with it, but I know what a diesel can do. Needless to say I’m back in a 2019 Ford 6.7.

Comment

Yeah that's true. The 6.4 Hemi's have some balls at first, but they're one of the worst engines made. I've seen so many of them at work take a dump at low mileage. I don't have much experience with the 6.2 they put in super duty's. Everyone seems excited about the 7.3 gas because they somehow associate it with the 7.3 powerstrokes. I've never considered going to gas again because of how much weight I pull with at the farm. If i was just pulling a UTV or boat than maybe I would consider.
                        Last edited by Arrowthreat; 08-07-2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I've had both, and currently drive a 6.4 hemi. If I had unlimited cash, I'd be in a diesel, but the cost, both upfront and maintenance is prohibitive to me. Got my truck new out the door under 40K, and don't have to deal with emissions, deleting, etc. Compared to a diesel, and I drive a lot of them at work, it's a dog. Compared to the ecoboost I came from, it's a dog. But it does the job, gets me where I'm going, has an 8' bed which I really do need and use, and pulls a trailer on occasion. I'm not 100% happy with it, but unfortunately my budget isn't infinite, so it's a fine compromise.

Edit: I am concerned with the transmission which went out at 59,995 miles and with the MDS in the engine. It does have that hemi tick. Fully expect to do a MDS delete and have cash put aside for it in the future. Also concerned with the rebuilt trans. Nothing is perfect unfortunately. I kinda miss my old 5.9/6 speed H.O. Perfect truck if Ram had offered the crew cab back then.
                          Last edited by Laketex; 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Uncle still pulling around any thing he wants with a gas Jeep J20 Truck with a gas (5.9L) 360
                            I am back in gas after driving 4 different diesels since 2002 , “ kinda miss having a exhaust brake “
                            I hear finding a decent deal on a diesel @ a dealership is difficult right now because inventory shortages
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-07-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Well I got a deal I couldn’t refuse and just picked up the 6.2 gas. So far I love it, very quiet and smooth. Will report back in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                                Well I got a deal I couldn’t refuse and just picked up the 6.2 gas. So far I love it, very quiet and smooth. Will report back in a few days
                                Congrats.

I run a 17' F250 6.2L in crew/4x4/standard bed. I have no issues with the trucks ability to pull and handle a load. My fuel mileage is very poor and I am curious what you'll get. Also curious about how guys above get better mileage... Empty I run about 11.5, pulling a 24' bay boat with t-top I get 7.5-8. Other than that, truck is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X