All toms, no hens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    Shoot em all. Nothing worse than a dang corn buzzard. They’re worse than hogs.
    They’re not a problem. They typically only stay at the feeder for a couple minutes. Half of them don’t appear to be eating any corn at all.

Comment

Gotta agree with Panhandler on this. Nasty birds to eat. Close to nutria rat.

Comment

I ain’t saying that ain’t possible, but a wild turkey is a gamey, tough and nasty tasting bird. I’ve tried it every which way possible and it always tastes like a nasty piece of chewy turkey. Every time I hear someway say soaked, breaded, and fried, that lets me know it’s nasty. Throw some salt and pepper on it and cook it in a skillet. I bet it ain’t edible. Bull testicles taste decent sliced thin and fried.
        You're a better man than me. I will never knowingly try bull balls

Comment

I ain’t saying that ain’t possible, but a wild turkey is a gamey, tough and nasty tasting bird. I’ve tried it every which way possible and it always tastes like a nasty piece of chewy turkey. Every time I hear someway say soaked, breaded, and fried, that lets me know it’s nasty. Throw some salt and pepper on it and cook it in a skillet. I bet it ain’t edible. Bull testicles taste decent sliced thin and fried.

Smoked and jerky are my 2 favorite things to do with wild turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a fan of the wild turkey breast deep fried in strips but the legs and rest are a no go. But I still love to hunt/shoot them ....just like coyotes and coons. The up close and personal in your face calling over decoys beats sitting over a corned sendero with a rifle to me....

Comment

A wild turkey is nasty to eat. I will never eat another one.

Comment

I chicken fry the breast chunked up. It’s amazing. The thighs are good in a crockpot then shredded and add an enchilada sauce to make turkey tacos. I may enjoy the spring turkey huntin with a bow more than deer hunting. To answer your question, yes all males together in the fall is normal. In fact it will stay that way till spring breeding really gets going. Then it’s normally just the jakes grouped up. They even split when more hens get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by JJtomball View Post
                  Smoked and jerky are my 2 favorite things to do with wild turkey.

Yep, I forgot the jerky. Yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I'm a fan of the wild turkey breast deep fried in strips but the legs and rest are a no go. But I still love to hunt/shoot them ....just like coyotes and coons. The up close and personal in your face calling over decoys beats sitting over a corned sendero with a rifle to me....
                    Yeah, breast only for me. I save the legs for crabbing.

Comment

Arrowed one the other evening- he was part of a flock of 20 gobblers that passed thru.
                      Amazing birds- dang good eating too!

Comment

They always group up like that in the fall. Totally normal.

And put me in the group that loves fried wild turkey breast. It’s a favorite meal at our house.

Comment

I love to hunt turkeys! I'd rather hunt them than anything else. And I will eat the whole bird, too. We boil a big ol' pot of water, dip them in, slide the feathers off and then gut them. When I cook them, I'll put them in a turkey bag or on the smoker. Cook low and slow.

I once cooked a big bird for thanksgiving dinner for my employees. The other supervisor cooked store bought. They all preferred the wild turkey and asked when I was going to shoot another one.

During the fall they group up in bachelor groups and the hens group up together. When hunting them in the fall, bust out the group of hens and then use a hen call to bring them back.

We had a place in Chillicothe that had hundreds of birds. It was not uncommon to see 50-75 hens together or toms together in the fall. It was rare to see hens and toms together, though. The biggest group I ever saw was 101 hens together.

Comment

Chicken fried wild turkey is like a sore p*cker..

Hard to beat.....

Comment

Love turkey, it was the only wild game I could get the entire family to eat and they loved it. We did nuggets out of the breast. I’ll need to try smoking or slow cooking legs/thighs if I can get any. Thankfully they enjoy venison now all but the wife. Current lease doesn’t have many turkey. And they’re fewer during fall and spring.

Comment

Can you shoot turkey during Bow Season?

Comment

Working...
                                X