House build must haves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House build must haves

The family and I are looking at building a house soon. Looking for any ideas or what people say are must haves. Thanks.

I did a thread that has awesome advice on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For me it would be:

A wash room for sure. So you can come in from outside and jump a shower.

Trophy room/work room to be able to work on bows, guns, etc.

Comment

House build must haves

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        For me it would be:

A wash room for sure. So you can come in from outside and jump a shower.

Trophy room/work room to be able to work on bows, guns, etc.

I did a 5th full bath off my back porch, 700 sqft trophy room above the garage with a full bath, and a 13x7 gun room hidden behind a bookcase that will have a 3x3 closet for my ammo or hunting cloths.
        I also went kinda nuts on my audio video budget.

Last edited by Black Ice; 08-29-2020, 12:21 AM.

Comment

An indside washer and dryer is so much better than in the garage, my real advice though is to nit-pick everything so you don't find all these little problems once you move in. If you dont like it MAKE them fix it!
          Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            I did a 5th full bath off my back porch, 700 sqft trophy room above the garage with a full bath, and a 13x7 gun room hidden behind a bookcase that will have a 3x3 closet for my ammo or hunting cloths.
            I also went kinda nuts on my audio video budget.

Congratulations it sounds like you built your dream home to enjoy now. Good for you and your wife!

Comment

Walk-in gun vault.

Comment

Floor plugs..... lots of them, spray foam insulation, hidden safe room, generator, big enough laundry room for an extra fridge and upright freezer. If you know where things will be going ( TV, Mounts, other heavy wall decor ) put 2x12 blocks in the studs before the sheetrock goes on and measure where they are so when the sheet rock is up you will know where they are.

The main thing is do not skimp on the slab!!! Have it engineered with plenty of deep wide beams. When we built we dug out 4 feet and filled in 5 feet. Our 3200 sq ft 2 story house is sitting on 220 yards of concrete. This does not include porches or drive way.

Things if you are building on raw land out in the country: Things that seem kind of overboard, but you will thank yourself down the road will be, when the water line is put in have them run a tracer wire with it, same with sewer lines. If you are going to build a barn say a 40x60 make it 40X80 with water connections. Think long and hard about future projects such as a pool, house addition, mother in-law shed and the like and keep all that in mind while building.

Other than that and more that I can't really remember right now, enjoy the experience and have fun with it.

Comment

Put down OSB in the whole attic for storage. This is my biggest regret when we built ours

Comment

Pretty solid advise. One thing I would like is hot water outside for washing stuff off.

Comment

House build must haves

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      Put down OSB in the whole attic for storage. This is my biggest regret when we built ours

If you have a 2 story house with a walk in attic this is good. But if you only have a 1 story with the pull down stairs I’d build and extra room in the house. Getting stuff up and down is just a PITA.

For me I find that things ruin faster in the attic due to unstable temps and truthfully it becomes a junk holder. If I put it in the attic, I probably really don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Agree with hot water taps outside and mudroom/washroom in garage or outdoor entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          If you have a 2 story house with a walk in attic this is good. But if you only have a 1 story with the pull down stairs I’d build and extra room in the house. Getting stuff up and down is just a PITA.

For me I find that things ruin faster in the attic due to unstable temps and truthfully it becomes a junk holder. If I put it in the attic, I probably really don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          I was going to add something similar. I go for extra storage (in conditioned air) over having to crawl around in the attic looking for seasonal decorations etc.

Comment

Don’t put hot water heater in attic. Pre wired for alarm. Piers under the slab. I went all electric but still had them run gas lines , last house I didn’t and some buyers really wanted gas appliances. Have it wired for either standby generator or a way to plug a generator in for some of the house to be run when power is out.

Comment

Areas for storage, then more storage, and more storage. Closets, pantries ect can never be too big

Comment

Working...
                              X