Braised Venison Shank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braised Venison Shank

This is a good recipe for any tough cut of meat, shanks, neck or you could even cook a roast like this. You will need a heavy pot with a lid, a dutch oven type will work well.

1 shank, bone in
    olive oil
    1-2 onions chopped up
    3-4 carrots, chopped up
    3-4 celery stalks, chopped
    1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 clove of garlic cut in half, will use both pieces
    4/5 pieces of thyme & rosemary tied, bundled together
    3 tablespoons of tomato paste
    32 oz can of unsalted beef broth
    2 cups red wine
    salt, pepper & garlic powder

Preheat oven to 300
    Season shank with salt, pepper & garlic powder( you can also put a lite coating of flour on the shank before browning if you like) . Brown shank in your pot, with olive oil over med high heat. Get your meat good and brown, will take a few min on each side. When done, take meat out & set aside.

Then add celery, onions & carrots, turn heat down to medium. I like big chunks of carrots, they will get soft. Let cook for about 5 min, stirring on occasion. After 5 min, add tomato paste, stir into the veggies real good. Then add wine, stir in well. If you have anything stuck to the bottom, scrape it off, mixing everything in the pot together real well.

Put your shank back in, add the 2 halves of garlic, mushrooms and thyme/rosemary bundle. Add enough broth to cover about 3/4 of the meat.
    Cover and put in oven for 3-4 hours. I usually check after about an hour to make sure I still have enough liquid in the pot. Check once or twice, if you need to add more broth or water you can, I prefer the broth.

Once the meat starts to fall off the bone, you are done. Take the meat out of the pot, and pull all the meat off the bone(s) and put meat back into pot. I also take my thyme bundle and garlic halves out at this time.
    You can serve your dish over mashed potatoes (my favorite) or risotto or polenta.

Enjoy
    Attached Files

Shanks are so good. Way better than going to the grind pile.

Comment

That looks amazing. Just need a big ole hunk of cornbread to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
        Shanks are so good. Way better than going to the grind pile.
        Got that right!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
          That looks amazing. Just need a big ole hunk of cornbread to go with it.
          Yep, that would be good too!

Comment

Looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Will have to try...

Comment

Hank Shaw has several good recipes: https://honest-food.net/?s=shank

as does Meateater:
              My version of pho is authentic in flavor, but unconventional in method. I use venison shanks for this popular Vietnamese soup. The bones and connective tissue enhance the flavor and body of the broth, then I shred the meat and serve in the soup. A traditional pho begins by creating a fragrant bone...

This recipe utilizes one of the most underappreciated but delicious cuts of meat from big game animals. The long braising process breaks down the tough shank meat until it is tender enough to fall off the bone, and the Mexican adobada sauce adds warm, spicy flavors. For this recipe and more, get...

Most shanks used to wind up the grind pile, or worse, the trash. But more hunters have started figuring out how damn good these cuts are if you take the time to cook them right. This southwest style preparation will turn some heads. It’s the kind of dish you’ll want to serve for a special occasion...

Comment

Dang, that looks good!

Although I find Hank Shaw’s recipes to be hit-or-miss, I love the Meateater site for interesting and delicious recipes that never fail to please.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  Dang, that looks good!

Although I find Hank Shaw’s recipes to be hit-or-miss, I love the Meateater site for interesting and delicious recipes that never fail to please.
                  I've think that I have liked everything that I've made from him, but he does have some different flavor profiles...likely stems from his working in an Ethiopian restaurant many years ago.

Comment

Glad people are eating them, lots of people trash them, and it's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      Dang, that looks good!

I kind of combined Renellas recipe and an braised oxtail recipe I found in a book called Collards & Carbonara, Southern Cooking and Italian Roots. This book has some real good recipes in it. I find some of Meateaters recipes are hit and miss, mostly because of the seasonings he uses.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep an eye out for that book. Sounds interesting.

Comment

Delicious
                          I cut mine into 2” pieces on the ban saw!
                          Good stuff

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

Going to try this

Comment

Working...
                              X