No announcement yet.

protein. A testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With only three of us feeding on our lease SW of Dallas, we grew this deer as a 4 1/2 yo. He started as a yearling our first year to feed and stayed on protein. He shifted from my little Brother's protein to Dog's protein during his 2 1/2 yo season and just ate and ate. He was mid 60's and we thought we had a B&C as a 5 1/2 when we planned to kill him. Poacher got him before we had the chance. He only used this one feeder and he ate and ate and was on TC several times per day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resize1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	23832602

Click image for larger version

Name:	resize5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	23832603

Comment

We saw you guys moving around over there in camp. Just too busy to stop by. We stayed out in the field all day friday and saturday. We've got 6 high capacity feeders going since January and added another 8 this past weekend. Plus 6 cotton stations. But we don't come close to what you guys feed.

What is the stuff on the ground in pic #5?

Comment

Awesome pics Doc!!
        I guess I need to spend more money. And a new lease...

Comment

What would that coon score??

......looks 25lbs!!

Man I like to shoot those crafty thieves!!

Bet he's healthy too!!

Comment

I've seen some bucks that have come off of Tuthdocs pasture. The body sizes is unreal. Overall the best pastures on the Junco, imo.

Comment

That year, we had Bode feeders and tube feeders that we made out of 85 gallon drums and the green fiberglass feeders. The Bode feeders held over 20 sacks, but you can see he was only in one pen with a Bode. The others held only 9 sacks. We were afraid that he would run out of protein before we could get back down there. Those are Purina 20% blocks to tide him over. It's one thing that got us approval for the Boss Bucks.

I saw that you had trailers laden with protein and Boss Bucks. Can't wait to see what you grow over in that country over the next couple years.

Comment

That coon under the 85 lived there all year. We have pic after pic of him just laying under the feeder, minding his own business, waiting for the deer to leave before he'd feed. then, he'd clean up the droppings. We've grown some GIANT coons on the ranch. Especially out of the Bode feeders where they could just lay in the tray and eat and eat. Some are so big that when we get them in our traps and shoot them, it's hard to get them out.

Comment

Thinking seriously about feeding 3/8 peanut meal this year down south...

Comment

Me too! I can't wait for the horns to start growing again and we can leave our cameras out all month.

Comment

We'll put our cams out in June. Turkeys will keep us busy in San Angelo for the next month and a half. It'll be here before you know it.

Comment

Great writeup John,Sorry your big boy got poached,hopefully their will be a few more like that coming up

Comment

Speaking of turkeys John, we saw two hens on one of our pastures. Mike saw them first and I told him he was smoking crack. But we drove to where he saw them and jumped them. I thought the Junco did not have turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            ......looks 25lbs!!

Man I like to shoot those crafty thieves!!

Bet he's healthy too!!
                            That's what I was thinking!!!! What does a "Trophy Coon Lease" Run?

Comment

We have a pile of turkeys. We saw a GIANT gobbler at one of our pens. (They like protein). The ranch won't let us hunt in the spring and Wascom won't let us kill any in the fall. Sanchez has a bunch on his side of the road along the creek. If we could get Dog to kill some during the season, we'd have a turkey fry. I'm surprised that there aren't any on your end along that creek. Maybe they're spreading. Give you something to hunt in the fall.

Comment

We've hammered on them pretty hard this year. We will set 6 to 8 traps in a heavily used pen and run it a couple nights. Usually results in 12 to 14 dead coons. Then we'll move to another one. We killed just over 100 since November. Cams help us monitor the pens that need attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X