Wire wheel questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire wheel questions.

Iv always got em at harbor freight and have went thru dozens. I bought 10 last week and they don't seem to last as long anymore. I'm brushing down my gooseneck for ospho then paint. My question is are the more expensive wire wheels worth the money? Saw a Milwaukee one for $30 . Talk to me..

There are straight bristle wire wheels and twisted bristle wire wheels. The straight bristle wear faster. But sometimes do a better job. The twisted bristle are a lot tougher.

Are you using a flat like a plate wire wheel? Or a round coned wire wheel? Again, both of those come in twisted or straight bristles. Both have their pros and cons.

Comment

... and put the guard back on your grinder. (we all know it isn't on there )

They will wad up a shirt no-time, and won't stop 'til you let off the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post

And will eat right through your outer skin and into your diaphragm. It takes for ever to heal.

Edit: Wound seeps a lot too.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-24-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I use the Milwaukee stringer bead wheels.
          They work great for me.
          If you are working around sharp edges though, it eats em quicker for sure.

Comment

Go to your local weld supply and buy a few weilers not terribly expensive but will hold up
            Better than HF. Cheaper than Milwaukee to. May ask about a case discount. Our local welding shop always cuts a better deal anytime you buy boxes or a case of anything.

Comment

I’ve always had decent luck with the mid grade forney wheels

Comment

Off topic op but have you seen the pressure washer sandblast kits? Look good but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon. You wouldn't need oxpho then.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                  Off topic op but have you seen the pressure washer sandblast kits? Look good but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon. You wouldn't need oxpho then.
                  I’m buying one of these to give a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    There are straight bristle wire wheels and twisted bristle wire wheels. The straight bristle wear faster. But sometimes do a better job. The twisted bristle are a lot tougher.

Are you using a flat like a plate wire wheel? Or a round coned wire wheel? Again, both of those come in twisted or straight bristles. Both have their pros and cons.
                    Sorry should of mentioned which one. I always use the flat twisted wire. I don't care for thr cups.
                    Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post

Lol, I have it on. That's a lesson I learned early on. Somehow I managed to get my left hand knuckles. It ate them for lunch. Now I have a guard and gloves.
                    Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    I use the Milwaukee stringer bead wheels.
                    They work great for me.
                    If you are working around sharp edges though, it eats em quicker for sure.
                    Yea I'm worried it may be that, iv done a few trailers but this one is the biggest. Iv only done the neck sofar and am on my 3rd wheel. They don't loose all the wire they just get so unbalanced that you can't hold the grinder lol.
                    Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                    Go to your local weld supply and buy a few weilers not terribly expensive but will hold up
                    Better than HF. Cheaper than Milwaukee to. May ask about a case discount. Our local welding shop always cuts a better deal anytime you buy boxes or a case of anything.
                    Will we, we have a somewhat supply here in town.
                    Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
                    I’ve always had decent luck with the mid grade forney wheels
                    I'll get one and try it, thanks.
                    Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                    Yesir I saw them and almost bought one, and I'm still on the fence. I watched a few videos of them and as long as your expectations aren't set too high they'll work fine. The ones with bad reviews were using them on lower psi sprayers.

Comment

I’m doing the same thing with my old cattle trailer, and my plan is about the same. Hit the roughest spots with a wire wheel the osfo everything. I have tried one of the pressure washer sandblasters and didn’t have much luck. I like the cupped wheels the best for flat areas, and go back and forth between twisted and non depending on how western I’m planning on getting. I’m not looking forward to wire wheeling a 20’ cattle trailer, but I can’t bring myself to pay what sandblasting cost for an old trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by guru27 View Post
                        I’m doing the same thing with my old cattle trailer, and my plan is about the same. Hit the roughest spots with a wire wheel the osfo everything. I have tried one of the pressure washer sandblasters and didn’t have much luck. I like the cupped wheels the best for flat areas, and go back and forth between twisted and non depending on how western I’m planning on getting. I’m not looking forward to wire wheeling a 20’ cattle trailer, but I can’t bring myself to pay what sandblasting cost for an old trailer.
                        Ifn you want to get some practice ill be around this weekend lol. Mine is 20+5 deckover dual tandem. Iv got about 5 hours in the neck and uprights. That's wire wheeling, cleaning, ospho and then primer.

Comment

Working...
                        X