Cast Iron Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron Rust

I got an old skillet that I have cleaned and cleaned. Wire wheel and in a bag with oven cleaner for 2 days. But you can see there is still a light rust that I cannot get off. So, blast, grind or....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jaybo31; 12-23-2020, 10:43 AM.

I wouldn’t do nothing but season it . It looks pretty good to me.

Comment

I say season it and use it.

Comment

Make a solution of equal parts vinegar and water, soak it overnight, wash/rinse and then re-season it with peanut oil at 400 F for 30 minutes.

Comment

You can put it in a cooler under water with a battery charger connected through it. That will take the rust right off. Here is the video of the method I've always seen used.

Edit: It posted the video 6 times. Here is the link to the video instead.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYLQ86IdUk"]Best Cast Iron Rust Removal Method Using Electrolysis - GardenFork - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by WItoTX; 12-23-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I’d fry some fish in it and go from there.

Comment

Thinking about just frying up some bacon or something in it and go from there. I have used a wire wheel on a grinder and steel wool by hand 3 times. Nothing comes off. I tried a vinegar solution and that didn’t work. That’s when I went to the oven cleaner. That removed a ton of stuff. But it’s just this annoying bit left now.

Comment

All mine look a little like that from time to time. Just season and use it.

You won't' be anemic.

Comment

re-season, and never use Dawn dish soap to wash, just rinse and wipe dry. just what my Abuelo would tell me.. its worked for years

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                    re-season, and never use Dawn dish soap to wash, just rinse and wipe dry. just what my Abuelo would tell me.. its worked for years

Yep. I have several more. Rinse it while hot, wipe it down and put it up.

Comment

Cast Iron Rust

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                      We’ve got 3 cast iron fry pans that we use regularly. All 3 get washed with Dawn after every use and then dried by hand, heated on stove and lightly coated with crisco. Never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                        We’ve got 3 cast iron fry pans that we use regularly. All 3 get washed with Dawn after every use and then dried by hand, heated on stove and lightly coated with crisco. Never had an issue.

Exactly what we do to ours at the lease

Comment

Wire wheel is a no no.
                          Just use vinegar/baking soda to clean
                          Wash with dish soap & water then cook a small piece of bacon in it or just oil it.
                          Then designate a bandana to wipe it after each use and light wash.
                          If not used for a long time, use water and soap, but cook with it immediately after and repeat the bandana step
                          Last edited by ATI; 12-23-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                            Wire wheel is a no no.
                            Just use vinegar/baking soda to clean
                            Wash with dish soap & water then cook a small piece of bacon in it or just oil it.
                            Then designate a bandana to wipe it after each use and light wash.
                            If not used for a long time, use water and soap, but cook with it immediately after and repeat the bandana step

Well it was a yes yes 3 days ago
                            I have a pot to do next that I picked up in a yard sale. I’ll use the vinegar/soda method on that one. Is there a ratio you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post

EXACTLY! All these folks always screaming to never use soap on your cast iron are just regurgitating what someone else told them. They have no experience to base it on. I don't wash mine after every use but do so as needed exactly as you describe.

Comment

Working...
                              X