No announcement yet.

Live from Longview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was pretty much covered up with deer all morning till about 8:30, then It got quite and I wasn’t even really paying attention. All of the sudden I could smell the wreaking odor of a rutting buck. I look up and scar leg is 20 yards out headed to my hand corn.

I had already made up my mind, I wasn’t waiting on one particular deer any more as I had ruined a few seasons that way and killing a mature East Texas buck on 20 acres basically in my back yard is good enough of an accomplishment.

He came in from the south parallel with my property and then backed up and circled back around from the north to check things out. This gave me a chance to grab my bow. He looked away and I drew back but had forgot to pull my wool neck gator down. I fumbled with it trying to rake it down with my release hand and finally was able to anchor on him. By this time he picked up my movement and locked in on me. He was slightly quarter too. I held tight against his shoulder aiming to slip my arrow behind shoulder bone and let it fly.

I immediately saw it impact low and forward, passing through though. He spun around and bolted headed south towards my house. I knew it’s wasn’t great but with a pass through I figured I might have got heart and lower lungs and he would die soon.

30 Minutes later I retrieve my arrow and it’s covered in lung blood. I took up the trail but it was cold. No blood at all and I consider myself a pretty good blood trailer.

I shed some layers and eased south along the steep creek bank but couldn’t find a drop. So I started over and decided maybe he doubled back once out of sight and went the other way towards the north end of creek.
    Shorty after I found blood and lots of
    It. Puddles and long streaks along the path he took. Picture perfect blood trail..... and b I knew he wasn’t far.... he crossed the steep creek, unbelievable... eventually leaving the property and crossing a neighbors back yard after 175 from the shot.

I got my truck and went for permission. Luckily he allowed and decided to help.. we went to work. Crossing the creek twice again , at times on my hands and knees to find the next drop. 665 yards later it ended in the creek.
    No blood crossing it and no tracks... I started walking inside the creek banks and when I turned a sharp bend there he was 50 yards traveled in the creek!

I floated him up the creek a ways to where I found a spot to drag him out. Then we drug him about 450 yards to the road where I was able get my 4 wheeler. Man I was worn out!

He won’t score much but I’ve known him all his life as scar leg. I had him at 5.5 and his teeth show the same. I couldn’t be happier. Tagged out in East Texas now and 1 tag left for West Texas.
    Brisket smoking, bags packed,
    rolling out at 4am. Time for some short rest!

Thanks for following along. Till next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great write up on a great LV area East Tx buck!! Certainly well done. Kudos on the tough recovery. It’s amazing how tough these animals can be. I really enjoyed checking this thread and appreciate you taking us along. Best of luck in W Tx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good story. You put the effort in and glad you got it done. Nothing wrong with that buck!

Comment

He's a nice buck. You put in the time and did very well. Congratulations!

Comment

Good deal Cody, I knew your luck would eventually find you.

Comment

Congrats, well deserved!

Comment

Congrats on a nice mature buck. I think the other buck may have just been bedding too close to your set up. Either way you put in a lot of good work and have a great deer to show for it.

Comment

Congrats on a great E. Texas buck.

Thanks for the live hunt, great job!

Comment

Great job neighbor!! Very nice buck. Congratulations!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, if Chicago shows back up I’ll try and get my 10 year old on him, also have that other big mature 8 with the crappy rack Ide like her to take out.
                      We’ll have a few days to hunt when I get back North East.
                      Haven’t seen anything down here to shoot yet but having a great time and seeing lots of deer.
                      We’re 37 miles from the Mexico border. Beautiful country.

Comment

Live from Longview

Got scar legs skull cleaned up today.

Both of this years deer.
                        Top Marion Co. 11/15/20 112”
                        Btm Gregg Co. 12/15/20 112”

Last edited by Hix; 12-21-2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Very nice. I like the display a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s neat. 1 month apart and score the same.

Comment

Live from Longview

Thanks, I’ve killed most of my deer around the 15th of either month. New moon, rut and a cold front and/or rain seems to produce for me. They were only 3/8 of an inch different.

Here’s a cool pic of Chicago yesterday. Looks like a 7x7 lol
                              100# of groceries out, We will try and hunt him tomorrow, came in 3 times last night and this morning about 45min before light.

Comment

Congratulations on scar legs and the display.

Did you get my phone messages?

Comment

Working...
                                X