Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home AC system replacement advice?

TLDR:

My AC went out and we have to replace the condenser unit and evap coil. Do any of yall know a trustworthy HVAC crew in the Denton area? The service company that the home warranty people have lined up are quoting about $2500 for a Goodman 4 ton 14 SEER system, and about $3800 for an Oxbox system. I checked with a couple companies that came up in a quick google search and their quotes were significantly higher.

The longer, more action-packed story:

So I've personally maintained my air conditioning system since moving in back in 2017, and for the first time I decide to have a "pro" do a checkup back late february. I found out he partially threaded a screw into the condenser coil putting the panel back on after certifying everything was fine. It was a slow leak and took 6 months before it evacuated enough to cause the AC compressor to shut off due to low pressure. This happened monday 8/24 around 4 am.

I figured the system was on its last legs when I moved in, so I've maintained a home warranty with One Guard (that I do not recommend) for just this occasion. They call in a tech, who showed up the next day 8/25 around 2 pm. He spends a total of 3 minutes on it to verify the leak in the condenser coil, says he will send in the report and they'll have to wait for the warranty company to approve any work, and leaves. Before he leaves, he tells me that the part can't be fixed (I expected as much) and that it would have to be replaced, except that it's R22 and can't be replaced so they'll have to upgrade the entire system to 410a (also expected). I check with the warranty company 3 times a day until friday 8/28 when they call me around 330 with their decision and plan.

They said the condenser coil has a hole in it and can't be repaired, and because it's so old it can't be replaced (duh, I told you that when I called 4 days ago!). So they say they will cover the replacement of the entire condenser unit. Okay cool. Then they say that my since my evap coil is not compatible with 410a it'll have to be replaced too and that's on my dime. They said that my policy only covers components that are in mechanical failure and they won't cover parts that function but are not compatible with replacements. I tried with 3 different representatives to get them to explain how it is that the only part that needs replacing is the condenser coil and that justifies replacing the entire condenser unit when the other components are fine, but they won't replace the evap coil? Not a single one of them seemed to even understand the questions I was asking. I'd lead them on until we got to the point where they were supposed to see the massive inconsistency, but then they'd just say their line about not replacing incompatible parts. I eventually gave up trying to explain after I literally ran out of new ways to try to point out the inconsistency. Are there any TBHers that can explain this? I figured if they have to draw the "incompatibility" line somewhere that replacing the condenser makes sense but they wouldn't even give me a "just because" answer.

Also, is 3 full business days to get a report and quote generated normal in a situation like this? The tech that visited knew what was wrong and what it would take to replace it in under 5 min but the warranty company took 3 full days to call me with the plan. As you may expect I'm not at all too happy about it. I may be part of the unwashed masses when it comes to most HVAC stuff but it seems to me that the service company should have their information prepared and ready to go immediately. I think the service provider sent over the report and the warranty company sat on the report for 3 days while me and the fiance sweated it out.

Anyway, rant over. If you made it this far I appreciate you letting me vent. Any advice on how to handle warranty companies would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if Airview in Van Alstyne services Denton. Local company in Collinsville where I live, McDaniels, said I needed new unit $5000 and Airview fixed for $350. They do all my service now.

Comment

Mines R22 also.

Comment

Oh, just saw Sanger so I would definitely call Airview and at least find out.

Comment

Pretty typical of warranty and insurance companies. They do whatever they can to not have to pay a claim or at least the smallest amount possible. They're probably dragging their fleet hoping you'll get frustrated and replace the system on your own dime.

Comment

Man, I understand your frustrations. I have American Home Shield who has been awesome with everything but my AC. I’ve had Tec’s out here 3-6 Times every summer for issues. The unit usually just stops blowing cold when it gets really hot. Incompetent technicians screwed my system up which ultimately flooded my house and cost me $9k and warranty doesn’t cover damages... I had to make a claim on my homeowners insurance. Frustrating to say the least! Finally had the 3rd technician out here this year and he seemed to fix the unit, for now at least. As far as timing goes, it has always taken a few days. I keep a window unit in the shop just in case it needs to be put in the bedroom. Good luck to ya, I hope it works out.

Comment

I had a blown compressor and got a much worse quote from the guy sent out by American Home Shield (AVOID). Alomost $8000 for the entire 410a system.

I ended up replacing the 5 ton compressor condenser unit with a 407C unit from Goodman. It is compatible with the existing R22 evaporator.

Just slightly less cold coming out the vents 4-5 degrees so it runs a little longer than the old R22 but the 14 SEER helped drop the electric bills way down.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                I had a blown compressor and got a much worse quote from the guy sent out by American Home Shield (AVOID). Alomost $8000 for the entire 410a system.

I ended up replacing the 5 ton compressor condenser unit with a 407C unit from Goodman. It is compatible with the existing R22 evaporator.

Just slightly less cold coming out the vents 4-5 degrees so it runs a little longer than the old R22 but the 14 SEER helped drop the electric bills way down.
                Whoa, I didn't know there was a replacement compatible with R22 systems. After a week of talking with all these people no one mentioned it and they just said it would need to be converted to 410a. I am definitely bringing it up with them.

Comment

We got American Home Shield when we bought our house and we found out pretty quick that they would be covering about $100 of the $3500 band aid they would be putting on our unit. We decided to just put for a whole new AC system. We got by on window units until the house we moved out of sold, which was about a month. Took American Home Shield 28 days, in July, to call us with their repair plan. It was actually the HVAC company they contracted that called us and we told them we didn’t need them to come out because we were replacing the whole unit. The guy told me, “good call. That AC would only last a couple months with the repairs they would be doing.” He said the home warranties will throw quick cheap fixes at the system and usually will find a way to not cover most of the work. And if you call American Home Shield, you get Vietnam so good luck explaining what you have or need. They follow their script and will take nothing more than your policy number and what appliance you need checked. Hell of a money making racket.

Comment

But we used Dons AC out of Paradise and couldn’t be happier.

Comment

Walker A/C is wo you need to call. Elliscountyhog (Richard) on here is the owner. he will get you fixed up.

FWIW, all home warranty companies are trash. I have dealt with them numerous times and every time was worse than before. The service companies they send out are always sub-par and waste the HOs time. good luck getting everything taken care

Comment

The reason your indoor coil isn't compatible with R-410a, is pressure. R410a runs at a much higher pressure, and your older coil isn't rated for it.
                        Very seldom do I recommend not replacing the furnace also. The newer fan motors are much more efficient, and are required to get the rated efficiency.

Stay away from the warranty companies for several reasons stated on this thread. You usually find more people unhappy with hwc's than happy. A week to decide how they are going to fix your ac is not acceptable.
                        Seems like contractors working for the ins. companies are typically struggling.
                        There is a reason quality costs more.

Gotta be at dr's appts, so I will be out the rest od the day, but I will check back.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          Walker A/C is wo you need to call. Elliscountyhog (Richard) on here is the owner. he will get you fixed up.

FWIW, all home warranty companies are trash. I have dealt with them numerous times and every time was worse than before. The service companies they send out are always sub-par and waste the HOs time. good luck getting everything taken care
                          Thanks bud. Talked with him about his situation.

Comment

Working...
                          X