Maverick County Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick County Hunting Thread

I have seen some similar threads for hunters in various counties across Texas, but didn't come across one for Maverick county, so I figured I would go ahead and start one up. A family friend and myself just joined a well established lease with a great group of guys. There will be 5 of us total on a little over 5,000 acres. Checked the place out a couple weekends back before being asked to join up. Saw a good amount of deer, more dove than I've ever seen, a couple quail, and only one illegal immigrant. Place is pretty close to the Border Patrol checkpoint so I'm hoping safety won't be too much of a concern. Been told there is a good amount of hogs and javelina as well, but not many turkey in recent years. Got the go ahead to start bringing out corn and protein feeders so we will get those rolling here in the next couple weekends, followed by stands. I have seen some pictures of past deer taken and current trail cam pictures of deer still walking around. Started with 140" class deer years back and after implementing supplemental feeding, their biggest to date is 183". Low fence neighbor took a 197" that was seen on camera on this place as well. I'm eager to hear everyone's past and present good/bad experiences so that I can familiarize myself with the area a little bit better. I'm excited with what I hope to be a great hunting opportunity for my family and myself for years to come. I'll post pictures of my progress once we get up and going. Thanks and good luck to everyone on the upcoming season.

im in! im off of hwy 57, not far from check point.

Comment

Originally posted by Barney1971 View Post
      im in! im off of hwy 57, not far from check point.
      Good deal. I'm off 57 as well.

Comment

maverick co.

went down yesterday to check it all out havent been on the ranch since early april. what a difference all that rain made...filled my cottonseed and protein feeder. put up 2 cameras. really turned into a circus down there with all the illegals. i counted 10 state troopers between la pryor and our gate close to check station on 57. some of my buddys got confronted by illegals at one of our gates this past weekend. ive seen them on the ranch several times since feb. two of our trailers been broken into. im beginning to get worried about what deer season has in store..

Comment

I’m jealous. I’d love to hunt this County

Comment

I hunted a place across the rest stop on 57 in the mid 90s. Great area, great genetics, big bodied STX bucks for sure.

Comment

Might get some more rain down there tonight

Comment

You are in a great area for some very huge deer. I used to work that area as a BP Agent back in the day. I would see monster deer there on a regular basis, and that was before hunters were feeding protein. I can just imagine how big they are now. Are you on the Paloma? You definitely hit the jackpot by getting to hunt that area. Congrats. Also should see plenty of hogs.

Comment

Farm logs shows we got .36 last night. Not sure how accurate that is.

Comment

every bit helps! i show .36-.45 all over our place.
                    thats a decent rain for south texas. i was down there thurs and it was GREEN.

Comment

I like seeing the south Texas stuff so tag! Lol

But I bet most folks aren’t gonna post many pics from down there lol.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        I like seeing the south Texas stuff so tag! Lol

But I bet most folks aren’t gonna post many pics from down there lol.
                        goin back down in 3-4 weeks -- ill check my cameras and post up a few.

Comment

Great stuff guys. I plan to be down there this weekend to get feed pens built, corn/protein/cottonseed feeders set and filled and cameras rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieRod View Post
                            You are in a great area for some very huge deer. I used to work that area as a BP Agent back in the day. I would see monster deer there on a regular basis, and that was before hunters were feeding protein. I can just imagine how big they are now. Are you on the Paloma? You definitely hit the jackpot by getting to hunt that area. Congrats. Also should see plenty of hogs.
                            Not on the Paloma but very close to it. I believe we border them on a fence line or two.

Comment

Anybody know how bad the wind got down there last night. Heard we got 2.5 inches

Comment

Working...
                              X