Getting Rid of "Stuff"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Rid of "Stuff"

I have come to the point where I absolutely have to cleanse some "stuff" that I have hung onto over the years. Most all of it has value so I just don't want to throw it away or take it to a donation center (plus I could use the money right now). Outside of listing everything one by one on Facebook market place or a garage sale, are there any other options?

Classifieds section on here. Great place to get rid of random stuff especially if you are near any of the big metro areas.

Comment

If you have things of actual value have an estate sale. With that said you will need it to be valuables and not just stuff. I just went from a 4000 sq foot house to a small storage shed so I know how to get rid of alot. I sold things that had true value ( firearms, large ticket items etc, and donated all the stuff). It feels good. I have my fishing gear in storage and wife has some things in storage and other than that we are down to 2 bags each and a dog kennel.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        If you have things of actual value have an estate sale. With that said you will need it to be valuables and not just stuff. I just went from a 4000 sq foot house to a small storage shed so I know how to get rid of alot. I sold things that had true value ( firearms, large ticket items etc, and donated all the stuff). It feels good. I have my fishing gear in storage and wife has some things in storage and other than that we are down to 2 bags each and a dog kennel.
        That's awesome! I am a long long way from retiring, but that is the end goal! Travel around in an RV with the wife and live out of a suitcase or two.

Comment

I just went through this as well. It became too much of a headache to deal with craiglists. Tire kickers, no shows, hagglers, no followups. So I ended up with something like this.
          $<20 donation, trash
          $>$20-$40 ...free on curb
          $>$40-$60 Nextdoor App marked at $10
          $>$60 Nextdoor App for ~$20

I found the best thing in my case with most of my stuff....was just throw it away. Something about hearing the garbage truck drive away and a whole corner of the house/garage freed back up was really energizing. Just take note of all the stuff you collected/purchased that was useless so you don't fall back into the same situation.

“The things you own end up owning you.”

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            I just went through this as well. It became too much of a headache to deal with craiglists. Tire kickers, no shows, hagglers, no followups. So I ended up with something like this.
            $<20 donation, trash

I found the best thing in my case with most of my stuff....was just throw it away. Something about hearing the garbage truck drive away and a whole corner of the house/garage freed back up was really energizing. Just take note of all the stuff you collected/purchased that was useless so you don't fall back into the same situation.

I agree with this type of logic. Getting rid of stuff can be tough for a lot of people; myself included. We moved a few years ago and did a purge on a lot of clutter. We also did another purge about 6 months after moving of stuff that was still in boxes from the move.

I also think some people in general put too much value on their stuff. I'm not talking about big ticket items that hold value like firearms, I'm talking about stuff that ends up being clutter in a house. Things like old electronics, furniture, used workout equipment, clothing, etc.

If you live in a populated area, a garage sale is a good option. You need to advertise the sale as much as you can and put out signs, etc. Lots of folks flock to these sales. However, unless you are realistic and are pricing to get rid of stuff, you aren't going to sell much.

Comment

i went through a clean / purge myself, had alot of stuff/junk in an old barn i wanted to demolish, i told the guy that was going to do it to not show me anything anything he wanted was his..... man, that was the hardest thing to do.... as i seen some things he had laid out in the back of his truck, but so glad i did it, it is such a pain doing the FB market place, so now i just set it on on the side of the road and its gone.....

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                $<20 donation, trash

Yeah, I know the whole falling into the trap business. Most of it came from when I got married and we we combined our belongings. Plus my wife loves to redecorate about every 6 months! I know other wive's are a lot worse, but a little here and a little there adds up to a lot over the course of a few years combined with a small house.

Comment

Working...
                X