Restoring Belgian A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nandosubia View Post
    Will keep note of that. I used rem oil to break the gunk up and clean it out, then Lucas gun oil to lube. I really didn’t have a hard time taking it completely apart and putting back together, not as bad as I expected at least. Arts Gun Shop has some great YouTube videos on all aspects of the recoil driven A5. That was incredibly helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I clean up a lot of dirty actions of all kinds & have found WD-40 & some brushes to be one of the best cleaners around...I like the non-aerosol trigger bottles. Gets most all crud loose quickly & hit it with degreaser.

Any lubricant to get you through a hunt will work but have found Amsoil Firearm Lubricant to be working the best for me...kinda expensive but it's impressing me. It was recommended for my M16 & turned out to be good stuff.

Many old A5's will have cracks on both the pistol grip & forearm simply from the design & the entire bbl beating on you & of course the wood looses moisture over decades & gets brittle. Nice work on bringing it back alive!! I've owned a couple over the years but just don't shoot them very well.

Comment

I’ve got a Belgium A5 12 gauge magnum my grandfather gave me and it’s the best shooting shotgun I’ve ever used. You’re going to enjoy hunting with that one.

Comment

Man, you did a fantastic job getting her back in shooting shape. Looks really good.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
          Man, you did a fantastic job getting her back in shooting shape. Looks really good.

Thank you for the kind words! I’m getting antsy to shoot it that’s for sure.

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          I’ve got a Belgium A5 12 gauge magnum my grandfather gave me and it’s the best shooting shotgun I’ve ever used. You’re going to enjoy hunting with that one.

I don’t doubt it a bit, had a buddy with a magnum 12 I believe and it shot like a dream.

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I clean up a lot of dirty actions of all kinds & have found WD-40 & some brushes to be one of the best cleaners around...I like the non-aerosol trigger bottles. Gets most all crud loose quickly & hit it with degreaser.

Any lubricant to get you through a hunt will work but have found Amsoil Firearm Lubricant to be working the best for me...kinda expensive but it's impressing me. It was recommended for my M16 & turned out to be good stuff.

Many old A5's will have cracks on both the pistol grip & forearm simply from the design & the entire bbl beating on you & of course the wood looses moisture over decades & gets brittle. Nice work on bringing it back alive!! I've owned a couple over the years but just don't shoot them very well.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check out the amsoil lube. And It sure is common for these old guns to be cracked but there are some great videos on YouTube for filling and refinishing!

Comment

This thing is a machine! Love the way it shoots!

Comment

Comment

In for this un'....own 3 plus 2 model 11's.... thank you SO much!

Comment

Comment

Looking forward to another season with it in Sept

Comment

Did you ever get a replacement stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                        Did you ever get a replacement stock?

No, I didn’t. Hasn’t changed at all since I put it back together. Would still like to find some Belgian or Japanese wood for it.

After shooting it for a while and comparing it to other guns, the length of pull is shorter than I’d like.

Comment

Working...
                        X